Poll - Do you play new releases?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Poll - Do you play the latest game releases?

Yes I do
81%
No I don’t
19%

Total votes: 365

Britpop95

Re: Poll - Do you play new releases?

Post by Britpop95 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:51 am

The dramatic drop in prices that new/relatively new games have so soon after release generally put's me off although there are exceptions: I knew i'd get value for money with MW3 for example, I knew i'd enjoy the campaign and regularly play online so dropping $60 on the day of release wasn't really a problem. A similar approach was behind me spending $40 on release day for Battlefield 3 although quite frankly i've not touched it for the best part of 2 weeks - it's a good game but I don't know, with MW3 doing the rounds it's probably FPS overdrive for me at the moment.

Ultimately though I find that we're at a point now in this console generation where the machines have seemingly been maxed to their potential and so each new game just seems like a rehash of a previous one so the thought of spending $60 each time isn't very appealing - and when you think of some of the classic 'retro' titles that are out there for 1/4 of the price it does make you wonder if you'd be better off spending your money on them.......
Into the Wonderful

sg1000

Post by sg1000 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:59 pm

Yup eyeing up halo ce anniversary going to get soon

MarkNUK

Post by MarkNUK » Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:12 pm

I do. Currently Skyrim, Arkham City, Sonic Generations and Rayman Origins are on my hit list. You would really miss out if you were strictly retro I think.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:38 am

Well i must admit i'm not strictly retro but the only new games i buy are for my ipod.

Yep these huge console games do seem great but i just havent got the time for those sorts of games, prefer a game i can load up in seconds, not get a console/leads out, wife moaning that she cant watch some crap on TV as i've got a console linked up etc. Now with a baby its just better to have a quick blast now and then on a handheld when shes asleep or watching her favourite show etc.

Just my priorities have changed, still love gaming but gaming on the go is the only way to go for me, plus its much cheaper !

OutRun

Post by OutRun » Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:10 pm

Hi,

I currently have a Wii and until recently I had an Xbox 360 Slim as well.

Was clearing out my collection and the 360 was the first to go as I was the only one playing it. I did keep the Wii though as my kids and wife love to play on it too.

I still have my PS1, PSP, Dreamcast and Gopher (look that one up - it's a handheld megadrive/genesis with built-in games) and an old skool Win98 PC as well as the Wii.

I can't say I miss the 360 as it's freed up some time to play the other consoles and also gives me more time to get soundly beaten on Wii bowling by my daughter :-)
Currently playing on :-
Wii, Dreamcast, Playstation 1, PSP, PC, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour and Gameboy Advance SP

shiftytigger

Post by shiftytigger » Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:22 pm

Not much as I'm not a fan of generic FPS's . Newest game I played was MW3 on 360 , which looked great but was quite dull.
Before that Epic Mickey and Sonic Colours both on my sons Wii. Oddly enough really liked EM as for a Wii game it looked pretty good and played ok.

I hesitate with current gen platforms as 360 is old now, Wii is on its way out and the only benefits of a PS3 would be its link with my psp and chance to eventually play SSFIV , SF X TEKKEN , M VS C 3 and download Scott Pilgrim.

Most of those games are basically polished up retro games anyway.

Now all i need is a 3 dimensional version of Wizball. (not 3d,thats just a falsehood)

crusto

Post by crusto » Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:19 pm

Im ready for the next gen now tbh. Im a sucker for new tech and what is it now? 6 years since the 360 came out? Too long.

Eat your nans pants

Mootown

Post by Mootown » Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:43 am

Isn't it time this 'quick poll' from January was de-stickied or whatever? Just saying :)

Space Holiday

Post by Space Holiday » Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:59 pm

I only play new releases round my friend's houses, as I don't own any new consoles. A lot of the new generation stuff is just way too generic for my liking. There is a little something that most new games lack. Colour!!!
Check out Alt:Mag - We're always looking for new writers! Apply within.

PubZombie

Post by PubZombie » Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:16 am

Yeh I play old and new as much as I can. I am really lucky as I work with my hobby of gaming and get to call play work :D
I have just turned 40 so spend a lot of my time looking back on older games I enjoyed over the years to see how things that were designed then can help the next gen of devs make better games.
I have xbox360s and two gaming pcs and have access to ps3 and dev tools if I need. I also have all my old retro machines including c64 and Amigas and a Gp2x and will be getting a PS Vita as soon as they arrive at my door.
PZ
The Truth is but a Construct; empowering creator and subjugating consumer... "War is the continuation of 'politik' with the admixture of other means."

binatone; spectrum 48k; vic20; C64; Amiga; Sega MS; N64; GP2X, OpenPandora, IPad 3.

Nevanos

Post by Nevanos » Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:26 am

I say yeah, definitely do play new releases, instead of the long and hard searches to find more great classics I've done as a kid.

Right now my favourite new releases has to be Sonic Generations and Battlefield 3, mainly on Battleifield 3 though as it is all nothing but pure awesomeness. Better than COD IMO. I admit from the beginning of the new gen games haven't been as good for me, but they are improving every year and am satisfied with the quality of games. :)

RetroMartin

Post by RetroMartin » Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:44 pm

I play modern more then retro but I do go back to a lot of my retro stuff and never sell things on because I like to go back to them.

PSN username - MartinPhantom

AmigaJay

Post by AmigaJay » Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:05 pm

Play so much more retro than new stuff, i probably buy like 4-5 games a year, the last was F1 2011 in sep!

Misa

Post by Misa » Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:26 am

I tend to buy more retro games than new games, just because they are usually cheaper and better. But there are a few games I'm wanting, such as Catherine. I usually like independant games as there is often more variety than the generic FPS surge we have these days.

dazsin

Post by dazsin » Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:04 pm

Absolutely. Some fantastic games have been released over the last few years.

Todays games are tomorrows retro classics...!