What game have you COMPLETED this week

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

jdanddiet

Re: What game have you COMPLETED this week

Post by jdanddiet » Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:59 am

Fightersmegamix wrote:Enslaved on 360. Very enjoyable realy, mostly for the characters and story. Bright colours too :) Gameplay was a bit dull but they had the right idea, combat was too simple and the camera was a bit wonky.
I'm really struggling with this, seems all mapped out and set before hand, no freedom at all. I assume it gets better.
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

GigaPepsiMan

Post by GigaPepsiMan » Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:37 pm

EDIT:
Last edited by GigaPepsiMan on Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fightersmegamix

Post by Fightersmegamix » Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:40 pm

jdanddiet wrote:I'm really struggling with this, seems all mapped out and set before hand, no freedom at all. I assume it gets better.
It just grew on me, a game that is more than the sum of its parts. It is linear, but there's nothing wrong with that and to some extent it's essential for any level of storytelling.

Mantas

Post by Mantas » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:15 pm

I finally finished Darks Souls at 3:30am on Saturday morning. That final boss was a censored and a half.
106 hours played :D

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:21 am

Fightersmegamix wrote:
jdanddiet wrote:I'm really struggling with this, seems all mapped out and set before hand, no freedom at all. I assume it gets better.
It just grew on me, a game that is more than the sum of its parts. It is linear, but there's nothing wrong with that and to some extent it's essential for any level of storytelling.
Not that level of linearity. You literally cannot go anywhere apart from where the game lets you. Dreadful title.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

nwosteve

Post by nwosteve » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:36 am

rainbow islands on the speccy...took me years but finally cracked it...using the keyboard
"You're all going to die." MK3 promo posters

crusto

Post by crusto » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:15 pm

Mantas wrote:I finally finished Darks Souls at 3:30am on Saturday morning. That final boss was a censored and a half.
Great feeling isnt it 8)

Eat your nans pants

Mantas

Post by Mantas » Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:27 pm

crusto wrote:
Mantas wrote:I finally finished Darks Souls at 3:30am on Saturday morning. That final boss was a censored and a half.
Great feeling isnt it 8)
Sure is. Don't know what it is about Demon's Souls and Dark Souls cause i am not the most patient of people but somehow, I stick with these 2 games right till the end. Heres hoping for more from them.

crusto

Post by crusto » Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:18 pm

Mantas wrote:
crusto wrote:
Great feeling isnt it 8)
Sure is. Don't know what it is about Demon's Souls and Dark Souls cause i am not the most patient of people but somehow, I stick with these 2 games right till the end. Heres hoping for more from them.
Same here. Lets hope theres some dlc this time round. Theres something about them that takes me right back to my youth, probably the difficulty. Probably the best two games I have ever played.

Eat your nans pants

killbot

Post by killbot » Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:32 pm

SMG2 is now finished. That's with the minimum number of stars, so I still have plenty to go back and do. Definitely the easiest Mario game I've played in ages, though - I'm not that great at 3D Mario titles if I'm honest and it usually takes me a good few weeks to collect the 60 stars necessary to unlock the final boss. This time - despite needing 70 stars - I ran through it in a few days and none of the stars made me seriously break sweat. I've had a brief look at the S-World though and it does seem a lot tougher. Perhaps this is one of those games that doesn't actually get going until after the credits.

The bosses are almost offensively easy, too. I don't think I lost a single life fighting any of them. Still an amazing game though, if a bit lacking in variety compared to the first SMG. Seemed like a lot of the stars required fairly straightforward platform jumping with the wildly experimental worlds of the first game being in slightly short supply.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

Vyothric

Post by Vyothric » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:15 am

LastFM | Mods | Music | Twitter | YouTube

Zwischen Leere und Nichts

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:48 am

JAN - Kirby epic yarn. So impressed wi this game. There's so much I like in this game - the level design and having everything mad out of yarn is incredibly well executed and is like nothing else I've seen in any other game, the winter levels especially were so well done. The transformations were ace and were fun to use in nearly every level they appeared in and the later levels/bosses that took classic Kirby levels and yarned them was a great throwback. Hands down one of the best platformers released this gen.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:53 am

Uncharted Drakes Fortune.

I was a bit up and down on this one. Initially, I thought it was ok. The presentation is excellent and the gameplay is fun. That is, until you get stuck and you'll find yourself jumping at bits of scenery that look like you can interact with them, but they are just painted on. Eventually you realise it is just the same thing over and over: combat, acrobatics, combat, acrobatics. And so it goes.

Overall, it isn't terrible. The story carries it through and I liked the characters and it does look great (although the last third of the game is in total darkness for some reason). So - meh.

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:15 am

The first God Of War (again)....I'd already finished it years back on the PS2, then picked up the God Of War Collection on PS3 back in 2010, got about 3/4 of the way through it (up to just before The Cliffs Of Madness) and stopped playing for some reason...went back to it a couple of nights back and amazingly was able to get straight back into it, finished it off earlier. I still reckon it's one of the best games ever made, don't care what anybody else says about it :)
Sig pic temporarily removed...The Magnificent 7 will ride again 8)
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

Smurph

Post by Smurph » Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:50 pm

Esp.Ra.De, via Final Burn Alpha. Great game, one of my favourite Cave games.
Antiriad2097 wrote:There is no in or out, just a constant state of retro gamer.
Nowloading.co.uk My Retrobate Profile