Has the 3DS turned the corner?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Gabe
Posts: 292
Joined: Wed Aug 16, 2006 8:24 am

Re: Has the 3DS turned the corner?

Post by Gabe » Sat Dec 24, 2011 9:37 pm

Mootown wrote:In the hardware race, 3DS still managed to place number one for the week despite Vita's release.
I'm not sure why you find that fact surprising when the Vita was only on sale for 2 days.

User avatar
Mootown
Posts: 3853
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:33 am
Location: Blacktooth Castle, Basingstoke...
Contact:

Re: Has the 3DS turned the corner?

Post by Mootown » Sun Dec 25, 2011 10:31 am

Gabe wrote:
Mootown wrote:In the hardware race, 3DS still managed to place number one for the week despite Vita's release.
I'm not sure why you find that fact surprising when the Vita was only on sale for 2 days.
It's not my quote mate - copied and pasted from the website.

User avatar
Misery
Posts: 2236
Joined: Mon Dec 26, 2011 5:52 pm

Re: Has the 3DS turned the corner?

Post by Misery » Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:40 pm

I'd be interested to see if the 3DS really does get anywhere. It seemed to have... a very rocky start. The fact that they did that huge price drop REALLY quickly suggested desperation on their part. But then, it IS a system ENTIRELY devoted to what is, in the end, a mere gimmick. One which, I should point out, can give people headaches just by looking at it, to the point where they have to play it with the 3D turned all the way off.

And now they have iOS and Android to compete with, too. And I know, some people like to say "Oh but those dont have REAL games, just casual crap", at which point I usually can point out a great number of "hardcore" titles.

Frankly, I've no interest in the 3DS beyond simple curiosity about where it's sales will go from here. I'm NOT a Nintendo fan... in all honesty I really, REALLY hate them... and the one remaining Nintendo device I own that isnt from the NES/SNES era is my DS, which is rather damaged and currently is usually just used as a coaster. I really think a BIG problem with Nintendo in general.... and thus the 3DS.... has constantly been the often-terrible selection of games. The Wii, for instance. I know *alot* of people that have a Wii. But not even ONE of them still uses it, like, ever. The 3DS seems the same... the selection of games is just.... feh. The ONLY game I'd be remotely interested in is Monster Hunter, and that's it. Hoping to see that on the Vita later on though.

One way or another though, it's interesting to watch what happens, and I think it's kinda hard to predict at the moment as to what will occur.

User avatar
Freestyler
Posts: 4150
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:15 pm

Re: Has the 3DS turned the corner?

Post by Freestyler » Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:53 pm

The thing about the 3DS is it's actually a DS2. Not that anyone would think that, given the focus on its "weak" 3D effect.
What I mean is the leap in graphical power between them both is remarkable.

Once Devs start pushing out software that doesn't exclusively need the 3D effect as a selling point you'll begin to see that it's a pretty gosh-darned powerful gaming system. And at just over a hundred notes that's a pretty good steal, especially now that Sony has revealed their money-grubbing PS:Vita strategy. Plus it's 100% backwards compatible with the greatest handheld gaming device ever made too. Which can't be too bad, can it? :lol:

Still, if I owned a 3DS about now I wouldn't be that worried. It's supported by one of the greatest consistently high quality Developers on the Planet.
Freestyler: A customer that's too hard to please, complains all the time and wants everything for next to nothing.

User avatar
DanWelsh86
Posts: 134
Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:16 pm
Location: Swansea

Re: Has the 3DS turned the corner?

Post by DanWelsh86 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:42 pm

I'd like a 3DS, but to be frank a Vita is just more appealing in everyway.

User avatar
Misery
Posts: 2236
Joined: Mon Dec 26, 2011 5:52 pm

Re: Has the 3DS turned the corner?

Post by Misery » Tue Dec 27, 2011 5:02 pm

Freestyler wrote:The thing about the 3DS is it's actually a DS2. Not that anyone would think that, given the focus on its "weak" 3D effect.
What I mean is the leap in graphical power between them both is remarkable.

Once Devs start pushing out software that doesn't exclusively need the 3D effect as a selling point you'll begin to see that it's a pretty gosh-darned powerful gaming system. And at just over a hundred notes that's a pretty good steal, especially now that Sony has revealed their money-grubbing PS:Vita strategy. Plus it's 100% backwards compatible with the greatest handheld gaming device ever made too. Which can't be too bad, can it? :lol:

Still, if I owned a 3DS about now I wouldn't be that worried. It's supported by one of the greatest consistently high quality Developers on the Planet.

It's a good point about the software... the trouble is, alot of devs dont seem to learn very well. I remember when the first DS came out. It was pretty exciting, I got one right away..... and then sold it two months later. Why? Because every idiot developer had the same idea all at once: "Well, we dont need to put much into these games, just give them AWESOME TOUCHSCREEN CONTROLS ZOMG and they'll sell instantly!". Alot of awful, awful games using the second screen in really stupid ways.... and it took quite some time before this trend broke. I think I bought my current DS a full year after the things had been initially released.

And unfortunately for Nintendo fans, Nintendo themselves tends to put things out RIDICULOUSLY SLOWLY.

Right now, I agree with DanWelsh, there are some reasons I MIGHT like a 3DS at some point.... but right now, it'll be the Vita for me, when that releases.

User avatar
thevulture
Posts: 10152
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2008 5:33 am

Re: Has the 3DS turned the corner?

Post by thevulture » Tue Dec 27, 2011 5:35 pm

@Freestyler:What are the 3rd party games to look out for, 3DS wise in 2012?.Ask as i bought my Snes, GC, GBA Micro and player and N64 all for 3rd party stuff, more than 1st party games.

Already seen a dissapointing Shinobi game (wah) in 2011 so assuming likes of MGS3:Snake Eater and Res.Evil:Revelations are 2 of the ones to keep an eye on in 2012?.

pratty
Posts: 5630
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:13 pm

Re: Has the 3DS turned the corner?

Post by pratty » Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:10 pm

thevulture wrote:@Freestyler:What are the 3rd party games to look out for, 3DS wise in 2012?.Ask as i bought my Snes, GC, GBA Micro and player and N64 all for 3rd party stuff, more than 1st party games.

Already seen a dissapointing Shinobi game (wah) in 2011 so assuming likes of MGS3:Snake Eater and Res.Evil:Revelations are 2 of the ones to keep an eye on in 2012?.
Prof Layton
Heroes of Ruin
Bravely Default
Kingdom Hearts
Tekken
Lego City Stories (I think?)

Monster Hunter Tri G and/or Monster Hunter 4 might make it over aswell. Layton vs Ace Attorney perhaps?

I'm pretty sure there's a Conduit game in development also, I'd expect that in 2012.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

User avatar
Mootown
Posts: 3853
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:33 am
Location: Blacktooth Castle, Basingstoke...
Contact:

Re: Has the 3DS turned the corner?

Post by Mootown » Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:42 pm

thevulture wrote:@Freestyler:What are the 3rd party games to look out for, 3DS wise in 2012?.Ask as i bought my Snes, GC, GBA Micro and player and N64 all for 3rd party stuff, more than 1st party games.

Already seen a dissapointing Shinobi game (wah) in 2011 so assuming likes of MGS3:Snake Eater and Res.Evil:Revelations are 2 of the ones to keep an eye on in 2012?.
That shinobi game is better than reviews give it credit for - its tough but actually feels like a proper shinobi game. You played it?

User avatar
ShadowMan
Posts: 11132
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2007 1:50 pm
Location: 200X
Contact:

Re: Has the 3DS turned the corner?

Post by ShadowMan » Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:51 am

Mootown wrote:
thevulture wrote:@Freestyler:What are the 3rd party games to look out for, 3DS wise in 2012?.Ask as i bought my Snes, GC, GBA Micro and player and N64 all for 3rd party stuff, more than 1st party games.

Already seen a dissapointing Shinobi game (wah) in 2011 so assuming likes of MGS3:Snake Eater and Res.Evil:Revelations are 2 of the ones to keep an eye on in 2012?.
That shinobi game is better than reviews give it credit for - its tough but actually feels like a proper shinobi game. You played it?
Agreed. I loved Shinobi for the 3ds. It's got plenty of nods to the old series but also a decent combat system and it's a good challenge! The whole countering mechanic takes a while to get down but is invaluable once you master it as you can counter anything with it.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

User avatar
thevulture
Posts: 10152
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2008 5:33 am

Re: Has the 3DS turned the corner?

Post by thevulture » Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:57 am

The lack of level check points in PS2 Shinobi was bad enough, but reading up on 3DS Shinobi, all i hear is:

Poorly designed levels (You try and jump up to a platform, there's a machine gunner with mortar chap behind him and chap with bow behind him, so case of more luck than skill you'll get on platform and kill all 3, more likely you get hit, die, repeat etc), levels lasting upto 20 mins and jumping lacking weight etc, combined with NO level check points and does'nt sound like fun.

Tough games:I love, 170+ hrs on Demon's Souls, 150+ so far on Dark Souls, loved Xcom:Terror From The Deep PS1, Ninja Gaiden Xbox etc.

But been dissapointed by PS2 Shinobi, Ninja Gaiden 2 on both PS3 and 360, so bit picky on my Ninja games these days.Not put off by poor review score or fact game is old hat-Loved Shinobi X on Saturn, that got mauled for not being a flashy 3D affair etc.

User avatar
Freestyler
Posts: 4150
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:15 pm

Re: Has the 3DS turned the corner?

Post by Freestyler » Wed Dec 28, 2011 4:14 am

As is usual for a Nintendo device the top 2 games in GAME's DS charts this week were Mario Kart 7 and Super Mario 3D Land.
Yes, they do release games at a snail's pace, but they do hit the quality mark.

I just guess we're all at the point where videogames really are a throwaway entertainment medium. I can't remember the last time I bought a game exclusively to play it and nothing else. Hell, I have a stack of 20 never-played Xbox 360 games sat behind me even as I type this. And I just bought Star Wars: The Old Republic for PC too. Played it twice.

The time's they are a changing.
Freestyler: A customer that's too hard to please, complains all the time and wants everything for next to nothing.

User avatar
ShadowMan
Posts: 11132
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2007 1:50 pm
Location: 200X
Contact:

Re: Has the 3DS turned the corner?

Post by ShadowMan » Wed Dec 28, 2011 4:56 am

thevulture wrote:The lack of level check points in PS2 Shinobi was bad enough, but reading up on 3DS Shinobi, all i hear is:

Poorly designed levels (You try and jump up to a platform, there's a machine gunner with mortar chap behind him and chap with bow behind him, so case of more luck than skill you'll get on platform and kill all 3, more likely you get hit, die, repeat etc), levels lasting upto 20 mins and jumping lacking weight etc, combined with NO level check points and does'nt sound like fun.

Tough games:I love, 170+ hrs on Demon's Souls, 150+ so far on Dark Souls, loved Xcom:Terror From The Deep PS1, Ninja Gaiden Xbox etc.

But been dissapointed by PS2 Shinobi, Ninja Gaiden 2 on both PS3 and 360, so bit picky on my Ninja games these days.Not put off by poor review score or fact game is old hat-Loved Shinobi X on Saturn, that got mauled for not being a flashy 3D affair etc.
There are plenty of level checkpoints so where ever you heard that from was wrong. Most enemies are in plain site, you can't just go running into a fight as your basically committing suicide doing that, you can pick off projectile enemies at distance with shurikens or counter their attacks as you close in. Either one of those tactics will make short work of most situations.
I really welcome the uncompromising difficulty level the game has, is like old school Megaman games where they don't baby you and just through you in the deep end. The only exception being the bosses who are complete pushovers.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

User avatar
thevulture
Posts: 10152
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2008 5:33 am

Re: Has the 3DS turned the corner?

Post by thevulture » Wed Dec 28, 2011 5:22 am

:oops: Ahhh.Appears reviewers moaning that once your lives are gone, you have to start a 20 min.level from the very start, no check point as such to continue from...this combined with what they find unresponsive controls, poor level design has led to the low scores.

Mind you, not 1 review i've read that has scored it low has made much of an attempt to explain just what they were expecting/had hoped for, from a 3DS Shinobi, so maybe it's Shinobi X all over again, unfairly mauled just because it's not benchmark in terms of visuals and pushing game into new areas?.

User avatar
ShadowMan
Posts: 11132
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2007 1:50 pm
Location: 200X
Contact:

Re: Has the 3DS turned the corner?

Post by ShadowMan » Wed Dec 28, 2011 5:55 am

thevulture wrote:
Mind you, not 1 review i've read that has scored it low has made much of an attempt to explain just what they were expecting/had hoped for, from a 3DS Shinobi, so maybe it's Shinobi X all over again, unfairly mauled just because it's not benchmark in terms of visuals and pushing game into new areas?.
Yep, you hit the nail on the head there. It's not a triple a game etc. but I've really enjoyed the game for what it is.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests