Best Gamepad for SNES Emulator?

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

themightymartin

Re: Best Gamepad for SNES Emulator?

Post by themightymartin » Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:06 pm

Never had a problem with the SNES pad myself. Not the greatest pad ever created but it did the job. When I suggested that the OP get a Super RetroPort I was assuming that they were looking for as close to the SNES experience as you can get without actually playing a SNES.
Xbox Live\Steam: themightymartin
3DS Friend Code: 5000-3656-8384
Zazzle Store: YonDer Designs

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:19 pm

I've always found the original PS1 digital pad an adequate substitute for SNES emulation as the button layout transfers well. PS1 USB adapters are a dime a dozen. Failing that one of the many PC clones. I have a Logic 2 PC clone but the dpad is terrible on it.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:03 am

Excellent point re: using a PS1 pad wih a USB adaptor as that'd surely work rather well as a SNES pad substitute.

Also, if the OP has a PS3 and his PC/Mac has Bluetooth he could always use his Sixaxis or DualShock 3 pad wirelessly with his PC/Mac to play games wirelessly.

Here's a guide on how to set it up: http://www.davieslim.com/ps3/use-ps3-co ... bluetooth/
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:05 am

thevulture wrote:
DreamcastRIP wrote:It depends on whether the OP thinks the SNES pad is worth bothering with. I'd say buy another brand USB pad instead tbh given how poor the SNES pad is.
:wink: Huzah.Someone else, who like myself thinks the Snes pad...not all that!.

Never understood the 'love' it or the G.C pad get.
I trust that this pic will amuse you as much as it did me!

:mrgreen:
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:55 pm

I used to use a PS2 controller with a USB convertor I bought on the website consoles and gadgets. It worked without any trouble on two PCs I had.

I don't think there's been a control pad I've never really liked. But then, I hated joysticks, which makes me a leper around here!!
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:07 pm

greenberet79 wrote:I hated joysticks
Burn the heretic! :evil:

;)
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

OldSkoolCoolFool

Post by OldSkoolCoolFool » Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:26 am

Loved the Snes pad myself, back then though I'd just adapt to whatever controller I had which I can't seem to do anymore. Probably an age thing...

Back to subject though... For most of my emulation I currently use a 360 street fighter 4 pad. Does the job nicely for most games, sucks for MK games
Jagfest_UK wrote:Looks like your use of the letter T made your trousers fall down :wink: