Saints Row The Third (Consoles and PC)

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

gman72

Saints Row The Third (Consoles and PC)

Post by gman72 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:42 am

I just picked this up in my lunch break and am eagerly waiting for my working day to end so I can give the game a bash. Initial reviews seem pretty positive so here's hoping it lives up to them. Anyone else getting it? Let me know your thoughts?
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

Joey

Re: Saints Row The Third (Consoles and PC)

Post by Joey » Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:10 am

I will pick it up in a few weeks and it does look very good.

There has been a ton of positive press around the game and it seems that Volition have carved a nice little niche in the criminal open world setting. Enough to seperate it from GTA anyway.

Freestyler

Post by Freestyler » Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:12 am

Bash people to death with a giant rubber cock.

Freestyler: A customer that's too hard to please, complains all the time and wants everything for next to nothing.

FatTrucker

Post by FatTrucker » Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:33 am

Freestyler wrote:Bash people to death with a giant rubber cock.

And nicely accessorized with the slacks and jumper.

Whats the deal with Saints Row?, I had a crack at the first one and got the ache with all the eating, exercising and playing dress up. Has this been toned down or is it still a cross between GTA and The Sims?.
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I've played all the Bratz games and Barbia Horse Adventures, due to having two girls and they are not rubbish in the slightest.
Feel free to add me on XBL.

MediaCult

Post by MediaCult » Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:41 am

So, since the first is an Xbox360 exclusive, I'll have to pick up the console to play it. Is it important to start with the 1. ?
MobyGames profile: http://www.mobygames.com/user/sheet/userSheetId,131075/
PSN/Microsoft/Wii U/STEAM nickname: MediaCult (feel free to add me).

steve82

Post by steve82 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:24 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NneLeh7StlE

it makes me laugh the way you can run down the road press triangle as a car approaches and dive thru the front car window leg 1st and drive off

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:13 pm

MediaCult wrote:So, since the first is an Xbox360 exclusive, I'll have to pick up the console to play it. Is it important to start with the 1. ?
Its not really essential. The story ties in with the second game but you'll hardly be missing much if you don't play the first one.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Freestyler

Post by Freestyler » Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:23 pm

FatTrucker wrote:Whats the deal with Saints Row?, I had a crack at the first one and got the ache with all the eating, exercising and playing dress up. Has this been toned down or is it still a cross between GTA and The Sims?.
MediaCult wrote:So, since the first is an Xbox360 exclusive, I'll have to pick up the console to play it. Is it important to start with the 1. ?

I can answer both these at the same time, so here goes!

Saints Row 3 doesn't need to be played after 1 and 2, but the basic storyline does run across all 3. I would personally recommend playing them in order as the story is actually pretty cool. If you want to know who the people are in it (especially all the jokes about Pierce and Shaundi) then you'll need to play Saints Row 2. Hell, you should play that game anyway because it's frickin' BRILLIANT!

Saints Row 1 is also a good game to play in its own right, and No 2 follows directly on from that. All the eating (to restore Health) dress up and whatnot is all there, but it's up to you how involved you get with it. I get one or two outfits and basically that's it. Or you can go around all the shops and buy a phenomenal amount of clobber. Also there's a whole secret series of missions in Saints Row 2 that basically ties up what happened to you at the end of SR1 and the beginning of SR2. SPOILER TEXT FOLLOWS: Remember when you first met Johnny Gat and he told you to go speak to Troy the Chief of Police? Well, go to the Police Station and find his office...

As for the humour, it's very puerile. Let's face it; in No 3 you can get a Fart in a Jar weapon! It's also very much action oriented, so being caught by the coppers is a very minor inconvenience indeed, as is being killed. Nothing gets taken. Maybe a few dollars, but money is so easy to come by as you get paid thousands of dollars for anything you do. And there's a lot to do.
Freestyler: A customer that's too hard to please, complains all the time and wants everything for next to nothing.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:32 am

It is utterly over-the-top action from the off and utterly purile. It does not take itself seriously in any way but the gameplay mechanics are very solid. Nice and enjoyable. :D
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

Mighty_Zol

Post by Mighty_Zol » Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:40 am

I'm pretty close to getting this game for the PC. I just wondered how you're all enjoying it so far - does it seem to be pretty bug-free? I got completely robbed on my last pc purchase (Heroes 6) and don't feel like paying out on another game that isnt ready to be played yet.

Freestyler

Post by Freestyler » Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:07 am

Mighty_Zol wrote:I'm pretty close to getting this game for the PC. I just wondered how you're all enjoying it so far - does it seem to be pretty bug-free? I got completely robbed on my last pc purchase (Heroes 6) and don't feel like paying out on another game that isnt ready to be played yet.
Unlike the PC version of SR2; Saints Row 3 is very robust indeed. Plus it's a tenner cheaper, has a very active costume community, and will undoubtedly have the same (if not even better) modding community rise up too. Worth a punt of anyone's cash.

Check out TotalBiscuit's WTF is video of it. PC version tested. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uJGcBdIE_c

Mighty_Zol

Post by Mighty_Zol » Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:54 am

Freestyler wrote:Unlike the PC version of SR2; Saints Row 3 is very robust indeed. Plus it's a tenner cheaper, has a very active costume community, and will undoubtedly have the same (if not even better) modding community rise up too. Worth a punt of anyone's cash.

Check out TotalBiscuit's WTF is video of it. PC version tested. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uJGcBdIE_c
Thanks, I'll try and pick it up this week. The lower price on the pc version is definitely a factor, I never played the earlier SR games, so I don't quite know what to expect from the mod community, but it can't be a bad thing. Hopefully this will be the game to keep me entertained until I start playing skyrim over christmas.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:45 am

Some people are not getting the story achievements. It seems there is a glitch preventing some players getting these. I'm one of em. :oops:

sg1000

Post by sg1000 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:01 am

This game Is like GTA, but tacky It makes me feel dirty every time I play it a guilty pleasure.

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Fri Dec 23, 2011 5:50 am

Just a heads up to people who got this on PS3....I picked it up from Gamestation during their deal of the week thing last week for £19.99.

If you enter the code for the online pass before February 2012, you can download the full game of Saints Row 2 free from PSN :D I think this is because there was meant to be PS3 exclusive content for Saints Row 3 but it never happened.

Still, not a bad freebie though, especially for people like myself who've never played the first 2 games before, will give me a chance to do Saints Row 2 first now :)
Sig pic temporarily removed...The Magnificent 7 will ride again 8)
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!