Most wanted toys as a kid?

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

parappa

Most wanted toys as a kid?

Post by parappa » Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:53 am

I always wanted the Turtles blimp as a kid. I never got it, though a friend had it and made me really jealous. And the Star Wars At At walker. I also wanted every single micro machines star wars playset but never completed the collection.

Antiriad2097

Re: Most wanted toys as a kid?

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:30 pm

The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

MattyC64c

Post by MattyC64c » Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:07 pm

I always wanted more Star Wars toys. I had a Millennium Falcon and an AT-AT walker, but I was a little jealous of my friend who had a Tie-Fighter and X-Wing Toy.

I remember looking through the Argos catalogue when I was a nipper, there was so many toys I wanted in there but never got.

bensonrad

Post by bensonrad » Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:20 am

I really wanted the Transformer Soundwave and Megatron as a kid, but was lucky enough to bought Octomus Prime for Xmas present (way back) so was still a happy boy. :D
WANTED: Mario Party 3 on N64 (just the Box only) ANY SNES GAMES, OR EMPTY SNES BOXES, INSTRUCTION MANUALS or WHITE INNER TRAYS.

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:40 am

parappa wrote:I always wanted the Turtles blimp as a kid. .
Same here, that was awesome!

I did want and get Super Cup Soccer table top football game, that was a lot of fun.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

pyroxian

Post by pyroxian » Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:30 pm

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:11 pm

In the american comics I used to read when I was a kid they had Superman and Batman versions of Stretch Armstrong, I always wanted those but I don't think they were for sale in the UK.
Splink!

MattyC64c

Post by MattyC64c » Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:30 pm

I'm sure I had that Lego Castle thing with the knights and the soldiers.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:57 am

felgekarp wrote:In the american comics I used to read when I was a kid they had Superman and Batman versions of Stretch Armstrong, I always wanted those but I don't think they were for sale in the UK.

That reminds me - they had some really cool stuff for sale in the back of US comics. Anyone have any they could scan and post?
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

che_don_john

Post by che_don_john » Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:55 am

parappa wrote:I always wanted the Turtles blimp as a kid. I never got it, though a friend had it and made me really jealous.
I also really wanted the blimp and I, too, had a friend who had one. His hit a rose bush and popped. I stopped wanting one after that.

Another time I wanted the Turtle's sewer base. I was desperate for it after being sucked in by the glossy advert, when really it was a right piece of overpriced crap. Luckily I instead got one that my mum made herself which was so much better than the retail one!

But the thing I really wanted most of all was the red Manta Force ship (were those purple guys called something like The Vipers?). It was kind of in the shape of a jet fighter and it split into multiple smaller vehicles. I thought it was the coolest thing I'd ever seen, but my parents wouldn't buy me one because my cousin had one, and therefore I "didn't need one". Instead I made do with the big grey ship that everyone and his dog had.
CheDonJohn's Sale/Trade/Wanted/Giveaway thread

PSN ID, XBL Gamertag and Steam: CheDonJohn
Playfire profile

parappa

Post by parappa » Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:04 am

I tried to make a base for my Bucky O Hare figure out of boxes but it did'nt really work out. I couldnt get spray paint for it. What I need is the childlike love and enthusiasm I had then with the adult resources I have now.

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:02 pm

paranoid marvin wrote:
felgekarp wrote:In the american comics I used to read when I was a kid they had Superman and Batman versions of Stretch Armstrong, I always wanted those but I don't think they were for sale in the UK.

That reminds me - they had some really cool stuff for sale in the back of US comics. Anyone have any they could scan and post?
I shall peruse my stash, probably tomorrow, and stick some stuff up.
Splink!

The Hardest of All Freds

Post by The Hardest of All Freds » Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:46 am

che_don_john wrote:
Another time I wanted the Turtle's sewer base. I was desperate for it after being sucked in by the glossy advert, when really it was a right piece of overpriced crap. Luckily I instead got one that my mum made herself which was so much better than the retail one!
Blue Peter did one, and it was better than the toy one!
Going Solo...................

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:32 am

che_don_john wrote: But the thing I really wanted most of all was the red Manta Force ship (were those purple guys called something like The Vipers?). It was kind of in the shape of a jet fighter and it split into multiple smaller vehicles. I thought it was the coolest thing I'd ever seen, but my parents wouldn't buy me one because my cousin had one, and therefore I "didn't need one". Instead I made do with the big grey ship that everyone and his dog had.
Ah, the Red Venom! See, I had that one, but really wanted the grey one. If only you'd've lived next door back then, our lives would've been easier and happier.
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

dste

Post by dste » Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:23 am

che_don_john wrote:But the thing I really wanted most of all was the red Manta Force ship (were those purple guys called something like The Vipers?).
Cheers for mentioning that, I found one of the smaller toys in a draw the other day and for the life of me could not remember what they were called. Saves me now taking a photo.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!