John Woo films

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

OldSkool

Re: John Woo films

Post by OldSkool » Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:24 am

Hard Boiled and early John Woo was excellent, but have a look at what he has done recently... From Face Off onwards it has been just terrible trite, which is no better than any Jerry Bruckheimer big-budget hollywood garbage. The pre-hollywood stuff was excellent though.

JazzFunk

Post by JazzFunk » Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:02 am

Watched Paycheck tonight, was not initially aware it was a J.W. film, was more aware it was a Philip K. D.ick adaptation (LOLZ, can't write Philip K's surname due to the 'rules'!!!) :lol: .

Certificate 12, not actually that bad a film but lacking in almost everything that originally defined his once-GREAT movies, almost as bad as Bushwick Bill becoming a born-again Christian. :(

Commander Jameson

Post by Commander Jameson » Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:14 am

JazzFunk wrote:Watched Paycheck tonight, was not initially aware it was a J.W. film, was more aware it was a Philip K. D.ick adaptation (LOLZ, can't write Philip K's surname due to the 'rules'!!!) :lol: .

Certificate 12, not actually that bad a film but lacking in almost everything that originally defined his once-GREAT movies, almost as bad as Bushwick Bill becoming a born-again Christian. :(

Holy cr@p I love that film, never realised it was John Woo! I got it because it was a Philip K Porksword adaptation.

I want to go and buy Hard Boiled - Play has both Collectors Edition and the Uncut one (which looks like it's NOT in surround sound) - which should I get?

pratty

Post by pratty » Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:10 pm

Fans of John Woo might enjoy Johnnie To's excellent Exciled, which is on late tonight/early morning.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00dn9hn
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

DoctorForbin

Post by DoctorForbin » Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:35 am

i love finding new directors from around the world, but after a little initial hype, I have to say I found Woo films to be generally awful. His style can only be called 1980s pop video. Slow Mos and Candles? So embarrassed I turned some of the films off.

Once he started making American films, and the 'mystique' of the Hong Kong settings was taken away and replaced with Nic Cage and John Travolta, the lack of anything approaching talent was really obvious.

(of course that's just me - my mate loves him - but it's only film)
THERE...IS...ANOTHER...SYSTEM......

pratty

Post by pratty » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:37 pm

DoctorForbin wrote:i love finding new directors from around the world, but after a little initial hype, I have to say I found Woo films to be generally awful. His style can only be called 1980s pop video. Slow Mos and Candles? So embarrassed I turned some of the films off.

Once he started making American films, and the 'mystique' of the Hong Kong settings was taken away and replaced with Nic Cage and John Travolta, the lack of anything approaching talent was really obvious.

(of course that's just me - my mate loves him - but it's only film)
They're definitely not for everyone as they are quite cheesy. I much prefer his films with Chow Yun-Fat, his hollywood career is a bit more hit and miss. To be honest I don't know why he went, as he's ended up doing movies that could have been directed by anyone, like Paycheck, and his style is just of shoe-horned into the films.

Red Cliff, a Chinese period action/war movie, was an excellent return to form though. I really like Last Hurrah For Chivalry too, which was another period action film but an older one.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823