time to let go of the collection? decisions decisions...

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

ReplayRetro

Re: time to let go of the collection? decisions decisions...

Post by ReplayRetro » Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:42 pm

hmmmm i know we spoke briefly about this earlier although at the time i didn't understand that it was to facilitate better schooling for the children.

i was under the impression that catchment areas didn't matter these days? i mean my primary school was probably the 3rd of not 4th closest to my home and when i went to high school locally others in my area went to one in a totally different city so i don't see how you being a few miles down the road from where you plan to move to should make any difference? however i could just be naive and not really understand how it works. I will say however that a schools past results as shown by charts and graphs aren't always what matters, it's the future you're interested in, not the past and that's down to the students themselves.
The storage idea in potentially a good one if making money off the sale of the collection is not vital but if you do decide to sell then as i said before i'll be happy to take a look :p and anything i buy you'd be welcome to come and visit, am not that far afterall

Good luck whatever you decide
Visit www.youtube.com/replayretro . why? well erm, cos it would be awfully friendly of you to take a look i guess, you don't have to though, nobody will make you *sob sob*

mainvein

Post by mainvein » Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:17 pm

ReplayRetro wrote:hmmmm i know we spoke briefly about this earlier although at the time i didn't understand that it was to facilitate better schooling for the children.

i was under the impression that catchment areas didn't matter these days? i mean my primary school was probably the 3rd of not 4th closest to my home and when i went to high school locally others in my area went to one in a totally different city so i don't see how you being a few miles down the road from where you plan to move to should make any difference? however i could just be naive and not really understand how it works. I will say however that a schools past results as shown by charts and graphs aren't always what matters, it's the future you're interested in, not the past and that's down to the students themselves.
The storage idea in potentially a good one if making money off the sale of the collection is not vital but if you do decide to sell then as i said before i'll be happy to take a look :p and anything i buy you'd be welcome to come and visit, am not that far afterall

Good luck whatever you decide

its a bit of both really, i've been toying with getting rid of a lot of stuff for ages now as its generally all up in the games loft/den but as i have no spare time ever i cant really see me getting to play on any of it (or not for the forseeable future/few years until my little lad starts nursery properly and i can get a job in normal hours), all my spare time i usually spend it with the other half and kids (as i only now really get to see my daughter on weekends and dropping off to school) and other half i only see on weekends due to rubbish work patterns, so is there much point in keeping it really, could be better off in the hands of someone else to play with and enjoy. Also seems like we couldnt get her in high school in horsforth too especially when there is one much closer, even though we are only 2/3 miles away too, she didnt get into the primary school we wanted and that was really close, dont really understand it all even now

kind of annoys me really as i love my house, i love living next to the abbey and park but its probably better in the long term to move to the area we want, also dont like the thought of all her mates from the area going to horsforth high and not her. lots of thinking to do this weekend (and more houses to view - which i like being nosey :D )

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:30 pm

Sell stuff you dont care for/not attached to

nokgod

Post by nokgod » Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:59 pm

If you don't use it, (at least occasionally) sell it. I don't really regret selling any of the collections i've built up...eg NGPC. I find i enjoy the hunt for games as much as the games themselves. If your collection affords you the chance to improve your lot (must be an impressive collection 8) ) i know what i'd do.

We were lucky with regards to getting the kids into the right school, we moved into the right area before the school was built :D That was pure coincidence, nothing preplanned.
sscott wrote:I thought Tomb Raider was the best game of last gen (and I fuck1n hate the Tomb Raider series!)

bensonrad

Post by bensonrad » Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:35 am

When I put my stuff in storage, I would pick one high valued item a month to sell to pay for that months storage cost.

Getting a good school place is very very very important! far out weighs a game collection.

The house we chose was at the bottom of the road of the best school in the area, make sure you find out the registration deadlines though!! We had our (house) offer accepted in October, the school place deadline was Feb 25th the next year. It so should have happened, by then, but the seller totaly fucked everything up, by dragging their feet, incorrectly signing things. Pushing the moving date a week later after the school deadline. The school authorities were rigid on we did not sumbit evidence of us living in that property on that date and we lost the school place, luckily we got 2nd choice which was another just as good school, but a further walk. It could have been a lot worse. We had draft contracts, insurance all in place for the house as evidence. We even went to the tribunal to protest about not getting a place and lost. If had been pretty much made broked during the move I would have sued the seller for ruining the school place, which they new was a key factor in moving.
WANTED: Mario Party 3 on N64 (just the Box only) ANY SNES GAMES, OR EMPTY SNES BOXES, INSTRUCTION MANUALS or WHITE INNER TRAYS.

mainvein

Post by mainvein » Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:08 am

bensonrad wrote:When I put my stuff in storage, I would pick one high valued item a month to sell to pay for that months storage cost.

Getting a good school place is very very very important! far out weighs a game collection.

The house we chose was at the bottom of the road of the best school in the area, make sure you find out the registration deadlines though!! We had our (house) offer accepted in October, the school place deadline was Feb 25th the next year. It so should have happened, by then, but the seller totaly fucked everything up, by dragging their feet, incorrectly signing things. Pushing the moving date a week later after the school deadline. The school authorities were rigid on we did not sumbit evidence of us living in that property on that date and we lost the school place, luckily we got 2nd choice which was another just as good school, but a further walk. It could have been a lot worse. We had draft contracts, insurance all in place for the house as evidence. We even went to the tribunal to protest about not getting a place and lost. If had been pretty much made broked during the move I would have sued the seller for ruining the school place, which they new was a key factor in moving.
seems like most people round my way are moving to horsforth area to be nearer the schools, 3 different estate agents said that was the case with the majority of people they house in that area. Im not in a big rush thankfully, that all sounded pretty stressful. We still have a few years to go before she would be able to go there but we think that now is the right time to move, especially with interest rates and house prices low (they can only go up to be honest).

good thing is that the missus gave be a big grin when i mentioned storage (think that could be the best bet if i dont make up my mind what to do with it)

and after thinking all this i still went out and bought a dreamcast game this morning from gamestation for the collection :roll:

stvd

Post by stvd » Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:09 am

I haven't sold all my stuff (and I don't plan to) but have sold quite a bit over the last year and a half.
I just hadn't used a lot of it for a while (or ever is some cases!).
SNESx2, Megadrivex2, SMS, Atari 7800x2, NGPCx3, NEC Core Grafx II, Wonderswan, Saturn, N64 & Colecovision.
All sold and, in most cases, replaced with 1 modded xbox.
I'd have liked to keep them (I didn't sell them 'cos I needed the money) but they took up so much room.

NintendoLegend

Post by NintendoLegend » Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:28 am

I must say, if it involves a better chance at housing and child-raising, it's worth selling the collection -- but keep your favorite pieces.
Nintendo Legend -- one retro gamer's quest to play and review every NTSC-region NES game!

My favorite retro-gaming shirt -- "Pipe Dreams"

Pssst: Use promo code “NLegend” at J2Games.com for 20% off! New titles, classic carts, whatever!