The fuss about Oasis vs Blur?

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

Liamh1982

Re: The fuss about Oasis vs Blur?

Post by Liamh1982 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:58 am

Even the Prodigy have become derivative. Invaders From Mars could have been recorded by anyone.

And the only good use for Auto-Tune is for YouTube shits and giggles.

che_don_john

Post by che_don_john » Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:02 pm

From what I remember, it was largely stoked up by Liam Gallagher, which wouldn't come as a surprise. Although, I have also heard cynics claiming that it was all engineered by the record labels, which is plausible.

Personally I was always with Blur. I didn't particualrly like the song 'Country House' but the reast of The Great Escape was decent. Their self-titled album, however, was far beyond anything that Oasis could ever write.

Oasis made a great album, then a very good one, then an OK one...and then it went really down hill. They were too samey for me; it was as if they'd become a tribute act to themselves. Blur, however, were a much braver band and tried new things, to the extent that their albums all have a unique sound to them - not necessarily always sounding good, but at least they tried to push the boat out and challenged themselves.
CheDonJohn's Sale/Trade/Wanted/Giveaway thread

PSN ID, XBL Gamertag and Steam: CheDonJohn
Playfire profile

Starlight

Post by Starlight » Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:00 pm

CIH wrote:I was in high school in Manchester back then and amitting to even liking Blur usually resulted in a mild beating.

TBH, nowadays I probably prefer Gorillaz over Blur and Oasis.
Would I make you old if I said I started Primary when this happened and I had to endure Spice Girls in the school taxi? lol

I remember Oasis tunes though in those days, although I started loving music when I was into U2 thanks to Apple (Damn Vertigo iTunes ad!)

But yeah, great band to listen to butI've never seen them live which maybe unheard of coming from a Mancunian.
SEGA, Falcom and "Niche" Nintendo fan

rapidly-greying

Post by rapidly-greying » Sat Sep 24, 2011 12:08 am

I remember having a friend that was obsessed with Oasis, the censored used to stroll about the living room listening to them with his hands behind his back and the sunglasses on. He was convinced he looked and sounded like that morons Liam,and he was constantly going on about Oasis being the best band in the world. What a censored!

I was always more interested in the Pearl Jam vs Nirvana rivalry. Now i'm older though I realise they're both phenomenal bands but the Screaming Trees were better and Paw released the best album of that whole era.

Grunge rock ftw!
Keith,Scotland 35,wife n 2 kids,Owned(or own)a NES,SNES,N64,GC,Wii,Gameboy,DS,360,Sega MD,DC+GG,Intellevision, C 64, ZX Spec 48k+,PS1,2+3.Fave games are Zelda,Mario,Leaderboard,Tomb Raider,Bombjack,Pilotwings,Ridge Racer,Ico,Everybody's Golf,DAFC fan.

SoupDragon

Post by SoupDragon » Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:19 pm

The student friends I had at the time were well into this rivalry, like it was the next Beatles and Stones. I didn't mind either band personally but for me they were the kind of bands I just completely stopped listening to after 1998ish.

TheBoingoBandit

Post by TheBoingoBandit » Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:01 pm

I used to work in Selfridges in London.

Liam walked up to the three grand arcade coffee table I used to sell, spotted '1942' playing on it and said (in his Manc drawl) 'I used to love this game, I'll take it'.

And he did purchase the table, saying that he'd get his brother to set it up.

One of my colleagues was a massive Oasis fan, but he was off that day and gutted when he found out about it.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:10 pm

che_don_john wrote:Oasis made a great album, then a very good one, then an OK one...and then it went really down hill. They were too samey for me; it was as if they'd become a tribute act to themselves. Blur, however, were a much braver band and tried new things, to the extent that their albums all have a unique sound to them - not necessarily always sounding good, but at least they tried to push the boat out and challenged themselves.
I can see why they kept to the same formula, their hardcore fans obviously wanted more and more of the same. If they went off the path it wouldnt have been good for them. Noel said recently Oasis were a 'stadium rock' band and so had to write lots of stadium rock-ish type tunes.

Heard a fair few tracks of Noels new album and its pretty different which is good. For me part of the love for Oasis was going to the mass concerts, felt like you were amongst 70,000 friends as youre all singing the same tune etc, great atmosphere.

As for rapidly-greyings comment, i must admit me and my mates when we were hammered in some club and an Oasis song came on we would do the 'Liam' and have our arms behind our backs doing a funny walk to the tune, all totally drunk and a laugh but i wouldnt have done anything like that sober or seriously.

As for Blur i still prefer their early albums before Park Life, brings back memories hearing those early tunes like theres no other way or Chemical World. Same for Radiohead, loved OK Computer and Pablo Honey, Kid A was 'alright' but after that just went downhill for me personally. After seeing one of their recent videos in which Thom Yorke does some frankly stupid dancing for 5 minutes like a drunk uncle at a wedding i'm embarassed to be a fan. Just utterly embarassing after their earlier great videos.

SpecChum81
Location: London, a small village on Mars, just outside the capital city, Wubble!!

Post by SpecChum81 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:18 am

To me it was like the whole Beatles/Stones 'rivalry', mostly, if not totally fabricated by the media.

I was never an Oasis fan, though I do like Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds.

Beady Eye seems to be the next task in Liam Gallagher's eternal quest to remake Plastic Ono Band or The White Album!

Blur was my band of choice in the whole Britpop 'War'!

I loved what they did back then and really like their recent stuff too! :)
Press Play On Tape

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:49 pm

The Noel album should leak in the next 48 hours but its amazing how theyve kept it from leaking so far (considering its out a week monday). But i'm like a kid at Xmas, just want presents asap ! Got the album pre ordered (Always buy their stuff) but if i can get a leak this weekend i'll be downloading that.

Cant wait to hear it, heard a lot of the tunes already to be fair but still 5 or so i havent heard, exciting times ! Been good recently though, Noels released a couple of b sides (I think a few extra songs to pad out the concert)....

I'd pick you everytime
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzkzLuSxD60

Thought i would hate this, first time i thought whats this ?!? But its a complete grower, nice little 'songbird-ish' type tune.

Let the Lord shine a light
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROqKiSzFXY4

Recently came out, another b side, bit Pink Floyd-ish but not bad at all

Alone on a rope
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjTmt0TYBWU

Another recent b-side, bit 'Radiohead' ish.

None of the above 3 are classics, but as a big fan i'm excited to hear some new tracks. These are all b sides so theyre not bad.

But this is one of the new tunes from the album, 'if i had a gun', love this tune a lot, one of my faves....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0QMhSLg0t0

(Actually going back to Beady Eye quickly, this was the last b side they released, really do like this tune, specially the second half....)

In the bubble with a bullet
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMLHyy6cSyM

retromax

Post by retromax » Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:34 am

I bought them both anyway as I liked both bands.... but.... I bought Country House on new release and Roll with It the monday after the charting :lol:
Hi I'm Retromax you may remember me from such songs as "Hantarex Two Five Zero" and "Hantarex Two Five Zero" the remix:)

parappa

Post by parappa » Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:52 am

I remember when I was about 12 I decided I wanted to get into music as all my coolest friends liked music, and I saw a kid reviewer on saturday morning TV saying, the coolest bands around now are Oasis and Blur. So I used my birthday money to get Parklife and Definitely Maybe. I loved them both and played them to death. I remember being a bit miffed when Whats the Story went huge as none of my friends had wanted to know when I was mad on the first album, I also preferred the first album. I also thought it was unfair that haters of the time called them Beatles clones when the first album sounded less like the Beatles and more rocky, in my opinion. I think its more T Rex and Stones than Beatles (not that I knew those bands at the time). I liked Pulp best of all though, as they were northen but nerdy and weird, not macho or posh.

merman

Post by merman » Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:11 am

Been reading a book about Blur the last couple of days, and it is interesting to note...

- Blur had two different versions of the single available, with four new tracks spread across them
- Oasis simply reduced the price of the single by a pound
- After the result was known, Oasis claimed that there was a barcode problem that meant a lot of sales weren't counted
- the official figure was 270,000 copies of Country House against 220,000 copies of Roll With It
- Damon had introduced Oasis on Top of the Pops the month before and said they were a very good band...
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:40 am

I never understood the Oasis/Beatles comparisons. If anything, the more inventive and experimental band were blur, so had a natural comparison to the Beatles.

Oasis were more glam, more like Slade (and I'm not being negative, I really like Slade!)

As people said before, it was just lazy journalism and media hype.

Either way, it was a good time to be 16 (which I was)!
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

parappa

Post by parappa » Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:33 pm

I always thought Oasis as a whole sounded more like glam and T Rex than Beatles, but I guess some of their biggest hits like Wonderwall and Roll with It sound kind of Beatles-y with their simple tunes. I could never remember who was supposed to have won the war, although I loved both bands I was not mad about either Roll or Country house and thought they were not that great songs.