R.I.P my dad

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Helensification

Re: R.I.P my dad

Post by Helensification » Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:41 pm

Being irritable at such a time is totally understandable mk, so don't worry, people will understand.

I tend to go into myself on those aniversaries and think of all the good times gone by. People may think I'm being ignorant on such days but I'm not, it's just my way of dealing with things. I have already lost most of my family so there are many anniversaries unfortunately.

It would have been my mum's 70th birthday yesterday (Tuesday) and it's hard to believe that I only had her in my life for 21 years but I can still picture her face clearly.

So those of you who still have their parents, as mentioned by mk last year, please cherish them whilst you can.

Sir Hilary Bray

Post by Sir Hilary Bray » Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:54 am

Thinking of you buddy, and of course it goes without saying, we are all always here for you.

freemonk

Post by freemonk » Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:15 am

I totally understand what your going through, and am going through it myself now. This Friday will mark the 1 year anniversary of my Dad's death which happened whilst on holiday in Florida.

I, along with my family, just can't believe that its already been a year. We still miss him everyday, and to mark this anniversary all the family are going down to Stratford on Friday and staying over to have a chill out time and a few drinks in his memory. It's weird because we'll be marking the anniversary of his death on the Friday, but celebrating what would be his 68th Birthday on the Saturday.

It just shows how short and precious life is. :(
WANTED: Spiderman: Web of Shadows (X360) / Mario Party 4 to 7 (GC) / Pikmin 2 (GC) / Muscle Bomber (SFC) / Bonkers (SNES) / Nosferatu (SNES) / Scramble (Vectrex) / Einhander (PS1) / Patapon 3 (PSP) / Sin and Punishment 2 (Wii)

STranger81

Post by STranger81 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:47 am

mohicankid wrote:i still talk to him, well his medal at least, i keep it next to my bed at all times. a bit silly as i'm not religiouse and i do know its just a lump of metal! but it helps.
Not silly at all from where im sitting. My Dad passed away in 2005 and its the small things that I cherish. Like old Chesterfield FC season tickets from when I was a kid and we used to go together, or a book about Columbo he used to have in his locker at work to read on lunch breaks.
Xbox gamer tag: kingboo81

boggyb68

Post by boggyb68 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:55 am

Si, you did not come across as irritable at all.. I found you in you're usual top form.

I fully understand and appreciate what you are feeling, I get the same on my old man's anniversary.. and it was 10 years this year..

Also glad I took the trip to the hospital for you this time.. ;)

Take it easy.

B.
Pinkle Squirmy Blip Blip Blip

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:00 am

You were so completely unphased by it on the outside that when you mentioned it, I had no idea you were so upset by it. I feel I let you down somewhat that day. Sorry :(
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:23 am

You were fine MK, I thought as upbeat as ever, especially considering. Reading this thread, I think I'll give my old man a phone call.
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

RetroBob

Post by RetroBob » Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:01 am

I can't add much here other than solidarity with MK and to say that I am frankly terrified about the time when my parents go, I genuinely do think about this regularly.
Xbox Live: RetroBob

Coxy

Post by Coxy » Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:08 pm

Condolence's MK. I have a rather odd situation with my own family, but that's enough about me.
I wish that I could actually attend some of these great sounding retro gaming events, and meet people with like minded interested and hobbies, but also meet genuinely inspirational people like yourself.
Well done for being so strong throughout this tough time. Keep at it, your dad would be proud.
"Wiseman say, forgiveness is divine but never pay full price for late pizza"

Xbox Live: megawanger - Add me for Acheivement hunting or just add me!

mohicankid

Post by mohicankid » Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:42 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:You were so completely unphased by it on the outside that when you mentioned it, I had no idea you were so upset by it. I feel I let you down somewhat that day. Sorry :(
don't be silly!
thanks every one, i was irritable this past couple weeks, just ask poor dave ;)
If somthings bothering me but i have somthing to do, i tend to drive all my energy into whatever i'm doing, its when i stop being busy it gets to me! that pluss the fact that i don't like sharing my burdens means i tend to just get on with it!
i will be heading up to my dads spot in the next week or so, and again after replay, as thats when i found out!
thanks again guys, see you about! :)
Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water...

witchfinder

Post by witchfinder » Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:47 pm

This thread is an excellent reminder to us all that we should appreciate our dads... I'm going to the football with mine tonight and shall buy him a pie! Can't buy him a pint, it's an alcohol-free game, bloody UEFA rules! :x
The 100k Challenge - 40 Arcade Classics. 2 MAME Cabs. 1 Average Gamer.
Mastertronic Chronicles - Mastertronic C64 Game Collecting and Reviews
My Youtube Channel (featuring Mastertronic, Funspot, REPLAY and more!)