Issue 94 Feedback Thread

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

ChipTune

Re: Issue 94 Feedback Thread

Post by ChipTune » Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:56 pm

Cycle wrote:ChipTune, you do realise your avatar is a pokemon, right?
Bugger!

I just thought it was a crazy duck of some sort..

thats pretty funny :lol:

MikeFishcake

Post by MikeFishcake » Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:19 pm

pantal00ns

Post by pantal00ns » Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:30 pm

If Carlsberg ever produced second posts.....

Thats improved my day at work 100%, welcome to the forum!

SaruwatariKaito

Post by SaruwatariKaito » Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:45 pm

once again another brill read, for me the spectrum articles are always going to be my favourite but love to read the the moment with articles.

ipmarks

Post by ipmarks » Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:23 pm

Good magazine this month. There's nothing really there (apart from Atari stuff) that really appeals to my interests, but I am enjoying reading about games I either have not played or have never heard of. Stand out article was the Amiga art one... I didn't think I'd like it as I have no real interest in Amiga art, but it was great.

If I have a couple of criticisms then the two columnists were particularly weak and dull this issue, and along with other forum members I did think the construction series was a bit modern slanted, and could have mentioned some earlier stuff. I wrote some class games with Quicksilva's Game Designer thingy... or at least I thought they were.

Anyway, thank you, and keep up the great work... another month, another superb read.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:33 pm

Special mention to the letter of the month for echoing what we were all feeling about the Chariot Race piece. Made my heart swell, I really think RG did something special for the family by letting them all know their work is still fondly remembered and is an interesting piece of gaming history while they could still share it with their father.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

deadpan666

Post by deadpan666 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:39 pm

Just picked up the mag and had a quick flick through! Have so far enjoyed the Maniac Mansion article and looking through all the Versus fighters to see which ones I've actually played as....And nice to see the Letters page back to normal! :mrgreen:

Intrigued by Rex Ronan too...going to go play via emulation to see how awesomely bad it really is! :lol:

Oh, and Maniac Mansion would have been a perfect cover for the Halloween issue, but that just makes me wonder what next month's cover will actually be!? Can I really look forward to two great horror-themed covers in a row, or will it be another Speccy cover???
ChipTune wrote:
Bugger!

I just thought it was a crazy duck of some sort..

thats pretty funny :lol:
:lol: It must be bad if even you don't realise your obsession with them! :wink:
Cinema Of Stuff Presents - The Undying Monster! http://tinyurl.com/nekrjdx

Let's go, Mr. Driver!

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:20 am

We love to fly in the face of convention, so don't expect a Halloween cover next month.

deadpan666

Post by deadpan666 » Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:30 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:We love to fly in the face of convention, so don't expect a Halloween cover next month.
I reckon all you chaps at Retrogamer are just in such a rush to give us all the retro-goodness that you've actually ran a month into the future......That's why we've got a Halloween cover now, and how we had that advent-calendar Super Mario one the month before the Christmas issue! :mrgreen:

Ah well, not to worry...with the Resident Evil, Alien and Project Firestart stuff I'm sure there'll be enough to satisfy my Halloween-type wants.... :)
Cinema Of Stuff Presents - The Undying Monster! http://tinyurl.com/nekrjdx

Let's go, Mr. Driver!

fujiHunter

Post by fujiHunter » Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:29 pm

First subscribed issue (I'm a long time WHSmith reader ;) ) and it's pretty darn good. The Slightly Magic lookback caught my eye immediately. Facinating insight into how things were then. :)

I'm just a bit gutted that the magazine came with a rip in the back cover and last 12+ pages. :(

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:35 pm

The Atari article was superb as was the Space Harrier on A8 coverage/review.

For myself? not much else that i was interested in this month (M.M not my thing, nor was Amiga art), but thems the breaks.Now next month...Project Firestart.....Ohhhh yes, now that's what i'm talking about.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:20 pm

fujiHunter wrote:First subscribed issue (I'm a long time WHSmith reader ;) ) and it's pretty darn good. The Slightly Magic lookback caught my eye immediately. Facinating insight into how things were then. :)

I'm just a bit gutted that the magazine came with a rip in the back cover and last 12+ pages. :(
Go to the subs section and flag up Lucy. I'm sure she'll sort you out with a new issue.

Szczepaniak

Post by Szczepaniak » Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:01 pm

ChipTune wrote:Pokemon absolutely sucks and the thought of anyone over the age of 10 hunched over their hand held console collecting pokemon makes me want to vomit my own face off
I haven't played a Pokemon since before my GCSEs, but in fairness I'm going to say:
When the original US version first came out, long, long before it ever reached the UK, I imported it, as did my brother, based on the massive enthusiasm for the Japanese version in N64 magazine. And for several months before it reached the UK and went mental with merchandise, that original monochrome GB was seriously fun. I traded and battled my brother quite a lot, and with a guy at school who imported it, and it played like a really good JRPG with plenty of depth.

It's become a merchandise machine now, of course, but that first game made by Satoshi Tajiri was understated, charming and with merit.

Do you hate it for what it is, or for what surrounds it?

adippm82

Post by adippm82 » Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:32 pm

Another classic game in Minority Report that has made me reach into a cupboard to pull an old console out of retirement, Aldynes is a great and very underated shoot-em-up in my opinion, I had no idea it was put together by former Irem personel, so it was good to learn more about it.

Playing it again this afternoon, it is really impressive, and I can see the R-type overtones in it now, pity about the weak sound though, I think the collision detection is also a bit off at times.

I really should have the SuperGrafx hooked up more, OK it only has five games for it, but connected to a CD system, it is the only combination that can play the whole PC Engine library.

And Ghouls 'n' Ghosts, Aldynes and 1941 are ace games, but a bit expensive to source now, Battle Ace is rubbish, and Madoo Granzort is also a bit ropey though.

Loved the GBA article, some great games there, I personally hated F-Zero Maximum Velocity, found it way too hard, but could not leave it alone at the time!

And it was one of the few launch games that could be seen in reasonable light.

Lots of variety this month, enjoyed the issue alot.

Igorthegreen

Post by Igorthegreen » Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:54 pm

Splendid! Maniac Mansion... Drool! I'm waiting for it to appear on XBLA.
Amiga: YES! And all I'm reading here... Can't wait for it to fall on my doormat. Cheers RG-team!
Join my '8-BIT KIDS' book Kickstarter at http://tinyurl.com/c64club