New PS2 games still being released

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

bensonrad

Re: New PS2 games still being released

Post by bensonrad » Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:44 pm

Thanks Roo for the link, I've ordered my copy :D As I've not ever played on current generation console, I can't be disappointed by comparing :lol:
WANTED: ANY SNES or GAMEBOY GAMES, OR EMPTY BOXES, INSTRUCTION MANUALS or WHITE INNER TRAYS, going for FULL SETS of both.

errolwd40

Post by errolwd40 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:07 pm

Is the new new smackdown game coming out on ps2? :D

Freestyler

Post by Freestyler » Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:40 pm

the_hawk wrote:
Freestyler wrote: In fact the PS2 has only been officially on sale in Brazil since 2009.
:shock: Blim!

Given the Tech Toy type MS & MD stuff that came out long after the systems were dead here it'll be interesting to see what curiosities they come up with.
To make matters worse, because of the stupid exchange rate and their own domestic Import tax it was released at a wallet-ripping $465! Apparently illegally imported games covers some 80% of their videogame sales market. No wonder, with domestic prices to high.
It's also no wonder they have an astonishing 94% games Piracy rate too.

And Publishers think it's bad here!
Freestyler: A customer that's too hard to please, complains all the time and wants everything for next to nothing.

skylarking

Post by skylarking » Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:02 am

Freestyler wrote:Dawgs, remember there's a giant OTHER SCENE for gaming than the usual West, Europe, Australia and Japan.

You have countries like Russia, Africa, Brazil and many, many others all playing now. They can't afford the latest tech (I'm guessing a PS3 would cost the equivalent of $5,000 in Namibia) but those funky little Megadrive and SNES ripoffs sell very nicely indeed. In fact the PS2 has only been officially on sale in Brazil since 2009.

Yes, you read that right. 2009.
Brazil also has this.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zeebo
ENTER IF YOU DARE
PRESS ANY KEY

Freestyler

Post by Freestyler » Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:36 am

skylarking wrote:Brazil also has this.
That's a brilliant piece of kit! Why the hell can't the UK get it? A lovely little bespoke system like that would be amazing for general gamers and light browsing!

I'm kind of putting my hopes on the recently announced David Braben Raspberry Pi, but that Zeebo looks very nice indeed. Very nice.
Freestyler: A customer that's too hard to please, complains all the time and wants everything for next to nothing.

QuantumCrayons

Post by QuantumCrayons » Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:59 am

Freestyler wrote: That's a brilliant piece of kit! Why the hell can't the UK get it? A lovely little bespoke system like that would be amazing for general gamers and light browsing!

I'm kind of putting my hopes on the recently announced David Braben Raspberry Pi, but that Zeebo looks very nice indeed. Very nice.
Because the games list is quite inconsistent; it has everything from "Bad Dudes" to modern Fifas.
Raspberry Pi will be amazing for the price, but whether as a gaming machine is looking uncertain :/ Pity.

ALK

Post by ALK » Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:03 pm

errolwd40 wrote:Is the new new smackdown game coming out on ps2? :D
Wikipedia doesnt seem to think so.

I think once the Wii bites the dust for sure, so will the PS2. I feel that if Sport games are still being made for Wii, they can easily be ported to PS2 as well, right? Just remove any motion stuff, edit a few bits, bang. PS2 port.

As for Japan, it's Japan gaming. What do you expect? ;P
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:05 pm

i thought it was the other way around
ps2 games get ported to the wii with some motion controls tacked on bam port done
hey wait ! i got a new complaint !

skylarking

Post by skylarking » Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:28 pm

snowkatt wrote:i thought it was the other way around
ps2 games get ported to the wii with some motion controls tacked on bam port done
I think it might have happened that way in the past, but as the sales of the PS2 went down and Wii sales went up, the process reversed.
ENTER IF YOU DARE
PRESS ANY KEY

skylarking

Post by skylarking » Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:32 pm

Freestyler wrote:
skylarking wrote:Brazil also has this.
That's a brilliant piece of kit! Why the hell can't the UK get it? A lovely little bespoke system like that would be amazing for general gamers and light browsing!

Here's a list of games with some screenshots. I believe technically it falls somewhere between a PS1 and PS2.
http://www.gamefaqs.com/zeebo/list-999
ENTER IF YOU DARE
PRESS ANY KEY

gmintyfresh

Post by gmintyfresh » Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:28 am

The console is probably too old but I wonder if after the last official software release the console will be enbraced by the homebrew shmup community like the DC?

I suspect not, Sony would probably go after the developers for infringement of their intellectual property (I remember Lik-Sang, sniff).

speedlolita

Post by speedlolita » Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:30 am

gmintyfresh wrote:The console is probably too old but I wonder if after the last official software release the console will be enbraced by the homebrew shmup community like the DC?

I suspect not, Sony would probably go after the developers for infringement of their intellectual property (I remember Lik-Sang, sniff).
I too doubt it. After all, there's no way for a console to boot third party media without soft or hard modding.

The Dreamcast had the Mil-CD/.cdi exploit which homebrew developers exploited with their CD-R releases.
Logged out 15/07/2014.

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:37 am

gmintyfresh wrote:The console is probably too old but I wonder if after the last official software release the console will be enbraced by the homebrew shmup community like the DC?

sony will be too busy re releasing hd remakes
and reselling ps2 games as downloads on psn

Freestyler

Post by Freestyler » Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:25 am

QuantumCrayons wrote:
Freestyler wrote: That's a brilliant piece of kit! Why the hell can't the UK get it? A lovely little bespoke system like that would be amazing for general gamers and light browsing!

Because the games list is quite inconsistent; it has everything from "Bad Dudes" to modern Fifas.
Raspberry Pi will be amazing for the price, but whether as a gaming machine is looking uncertain :/ Pity.
I've seen a few vids of the alpha hardware running stuff like Quake 3 at a decent 30FPS in 1080P with all the bells and whistles on maximum, so I'm guessing anything that was released up to and around ten years ago should be perfectly playable. That includes great stuff like the original Deus Ex and Half Life. The original Unreal and expansion should be fine too I think, as will a huge range of emulators. That's not bad for a "computer" that costs less than the average take away.

I really hope this comes off. :fingers crossed:

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:40 am

i recently bought the orginal unreal
which is damn impressive it runs fine on a vista machine and even now looks great ina very polygonal way
it even supports eye bleeding high resolutions