Looking to build a database of retro game stores

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Timothy Lumsden

Re: Looking to build a database of retro game stores

Post by Timothy Lumsden » Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:53 am

very good idea

will grab info local shops next time I pop to Brighton

M&M games in Croydon is very friend according to my mate who shops there - it's just off the high street

witchfinder

Post by witchfinder » Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:30 am

Entertainment Exchange on High Street in Manchester (opposite the Arndale Centre) has loads of retro stuff - NES, Megadrive, SNES etc - but is generally rather overpriced. Worth a look though I suppose...
The 100k Challenge - 40 Arcade Classics. 2 MAME Cabs. 1 Average Gamer.
Mastertronic Chronicles - Mastertronic C64 Game Collecting and Reviews
My Youtube Channel (featuring Mastertronic, Funspot, REPLAY and more!)

Phoenix

Post by Phoenix » Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:03 pm

After all the great feedback the map is looking a bit busier. Full list of stores is below, let me know if I missed any. I am thinking of adding some reviews, pictures etc.

Afflecks
Arcadia Home Entertainment
Chips
Close Encounters (Bedford)
Close Encounters (Northampton)
Console Connections
E3
Electric Town
Game Focus
Game Link
Game On
Gamepark
Gameplayer
Gameworld
Gotham Games
Insane Games
Lee's Games
Level Up
Level Up Games
M&M Games
Ninja Games (Castleford)
Ninja Games (Morley)
Oldskoolgamer
Play Away
Playtime (Doncaster)
Playtime (Nottingham)
Playtime (Sheffield)
Retro Station
Swallow Games (Colchester)
Swallow Games (Norwich)
The Classic Game
The Kart Club
Victor Wright Electronics
X Electrical
Click to follow me on twitter http://twitter.com/RetrogamesNow
My Retro Games Hubpage http://rolyretro/hubpages.com

Neilos626

Post by Neilos626 » Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:10 pm

There's Melodies in Clacton on sea, loads of old retro games, videos,models and toys.
Flux Capacitors wanted email MartyMcFly1985@greatscott.net

sirclive1

Post by sirclive1 » Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:42 pm

Crunchy wrote:Was in a retro shop in morecambe the other day, think it was called Lee's Games. Had a mame cab abortion in there running Super Cobra (at 50p a pop! :shock: ). There was more 360/PS3 stuff than retro tbh. Really crap selection of Megadrive titles but they had some Saturn, N64 and NES stuff knocking around and lots of PS1/Xbox games.
Up until a month or so ago the megadrive selection wasn't brill . But i was in this shop today and they had loads of megadrive games on the shelves , i counted 104 different titles , picked up Bio Hazard battle for £3 , an ntsc version of Monopoly for £4 , Ristar mint for £6 and Tiny Toons Adventures for £4 - all boxed .

The guys in there are really friendly and if you ask nicely they have a tonne of retro gear - literally - upstairs in the stock room , last time i went up there my eyes :shock: were on stalks , i picked up a usa N64 and a stack of games inc starfox 64 , banjo tooie and Conkers bad fur day (all ntsc) for about £50 total price.

Whilst up there i spotted Neo geo consoles , A stack of saturn games , loads of snes stuff , dreamcast , jaguar , ps1 , game gear and loads more .

Its without doubt the best selection of retro games ive seen for sale in a shop in a long long while .

Im going down there tomorrow as ive rung and reserved quite a few dreamcast games im after - slave zero , res 3 and crazy taxi 2 off the top of my head.

Go back and get them to go to the stock room ! Its amazing.
Luxor the moonprince - Doomguard Slayer

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:09 pm

Shinobi games
http://www.shinobigames.co.uk/
Gorton Market‎
Gorton District Centre
Garratt Way, Gorton, M18 8LD
0161 231 3522

Clayton Games
893-905 Ashton New Rd
Manchester M11 4, UK
(Not on Google earth)
witchfinder wrote:Entertainment Exchange on High Street in Manchester (opposite the Arndale Centre) has loads of retro stuff - NES, Megadrive, SNES etc - but is generally rather overpriced. Worth a look though I suppose...
Dont know that one
all Googles coming up with is CEX

Urgh

retrogoodies

Post by retrogoodies » Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:57 am

Timothy Lumsden wrote:very good idea

will grab info local shops next time I pop to Brighton

M&M games in Croydon is very friend according to my mate who shops there - it's just off the high street

there a shop in brighton that sell loads of random old stuff and always had retro stuff in there ie megadrive`s through to snes and game and watch`s but they always wanted top money for there stuff , been there years but can`t remember what it`s called
retrogames for sale at http://retrogoodies.ebid.net

solidsnake

Post by solidsnake » Sat Sep 10, 2011 5:08 am

Hi

I would delete Gameplayer in Crawley as it hardly sells any video games anymore, let alone retro - no more than Gamestation does opposite (ie a few PS2 and xbox games).

witchfinder

Post by witchfinder » Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:05 am

DPrinny wrote:
witchfinder wrote:Entertainment Exchange on High Street in Manchester (opposite the Arndale Centre) has loads of retro stuff - NES, Megadrive, SNES etc - but is generally rather overpriced. Worth a look though I suppose...
Dont know that one
all Googles coming up with is CEX
It's basically like CEX but cleaner, and more competitively priced. If you follow the tram tracks from Market Street to Shudehill it's on your right hand side... They have some good stuff in there but it's very pricey. Conversely they tend to have some very competitively priced PS3 and 360 stuff...
The 100k Challenge - 40 Arcade Classics. 2 MAME Cabs. 1 Average Gamer.
Mastertronic Chronicles - Mastertronic C64 Game Collecting and Reviews
My Youtube Channel (featuring Mastertronic, Funspot, REPLAY and more!)

Crunchy

Post by Crunchy » Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:12 am

sirclive1 wrote:
Crunchy wrote:Was in a retro shop in morecambe the other day, think it was called Lee's Games. Had a mame cab abortion in there running Super Cobra (at 50p a pop! :shock: ). There was more 360/PS3 stuff than retro tbh. Really crap selection of Megadrive titles but they had some Saturn, N64 and NES stuff knocking around and lots of PS1/Xbox games.
Up until a month or so ago the megadrive selection wasn't brill . But i was in this shop today and they had loads of megadrive games on the shelves , i counted 104 different titles , picked up Bio Hazard battle for £3 , an ntsc version of Monopoly for £4 , Ristar mint for £6 and Tiny Toons Adventures for £4 - all boxed .

The guys in there are really friendly and if you ask nicely they have a tonne of retro gear - literally - upstairs in the stock room , last time i went up there my eyes :shock: were on stalks , i picked up a usa N64 and a stack of games inc starfox 64 , banjo tooie and Conkers bad fur day (all ntsc) for about £50 total price.

Whilst up there i spotted Neo geo consoles , A stack of saturn games , loads of snes stuff , dreamcast , jaguar , ps1 , game gear and loads more .

Its without doubt the best selection of retro games ive seen for sale in a shop in a long long while .

Im going down there tomorrow as ive rung and reserved quite a few dreamcast games im after - slave zero , res 3 and crazy taxi 2 off the top of my head.

Go back and get them to go to the stock room ! Its amazing.
Seriously, if they've got stuff to sell it should be on display. Why call yourself a retro shop if they've got a ton of retro stock hidden away so they can fill shop space with common as muck current gen games?

And tell them to get the mame cab on freeplay btw. 50p! Good grief.

sirclive1

Post by sirclive1 » Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:45 am

I'm actually in there now , from the owners mouth - it doesnt make sense to fill the shop floor with retro , we dedicate as much as we can without compromising our range of 360 and ps3 games , otherwise we wouldn't be able to operate as a business . The only way to do this is have a small range on the shop floor and if a customer shows interest then show them the larger range upstairs which we cannot staff constantly but can spare a good hour or so to spend time talking or letting them browse , it works very well . Next time your down this way say hi to Jamie or steve , also the cabinet usually has 10 credits or more already clocked on as it's there for fun.
Luxor the moonprince - Doomguard Slayer

r0jaws

Post by r0jaws » Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:57 pm

solidsnake wrote:Hi

I would delete Gameplayer in Crawley as it hardly sells any video games anymore, let alone retro - no more than Gamestation does opposite (ie a few PS2 and xbox games).
I was in there about a week ago and they had a load of Gameboy games, xBox and Gamecube stuff. But it will vary I suppose.

rossi46

Post by rossi46 » Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:09 pm

Here's one to add north of the border:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/place?hl= ... QQnwIoADAD
Thoughts and prayers.

Phoenix

Post by Phoenix » Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:12 pm

sirclive1 wrote:I'm actually in there now , from the owners mouth - it doesnt make sense to fill the shop floor with retro , we dedicate as much as we can without compromising our range of 360 and ps3 games , otherwise we wouldn't be able to operate as a business . The only way to do this is have a small range on the shop floor and if a customer shows interest then show them the larger range upstairs which we cannot staff constantly but can spare a good hour or so to spend time talking or letting them browse , it works very well . Next time your down this way say hi to Jamie or steve , also the cabinet usually has 10 credits or more already clocked on as it's there for fun.
Now that's what I call dedication! It's making me think I need to add a consumer review section so people can record their experiences and I can rate the best stores
Click to follow me on twitter http://twitter.com/RetrogamesNow
My Retro Games Hubpage http://rolyretro/hubpages.com

ALK

Post by ALK » Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:33 pm

I remember there being a store in Canterbury East, but I cannot for the life of me remember the name of the place as its been years since I've been, so dunno if it's still there. It was actually downstairs in some used music store I think, but I did get some nice Dreamcast stuff when I visit. :)
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.