2011/12 Football Season chat (contains MOTD spoilers)

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

dste

Re: 2011/12 Football Season chat (contains MOTD spoilers)

Post by dste » Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:20 pm

I rarely watch England matches anymore in all honesty.

I tend to find them to be bland, have the same players who cannot seem to play together every match and cannot be bothered and tactics that tend to fall short.

Still might watch the Wales match tonight though.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:20 pm

Blimey we could have nicked at least a point second half - I could have scored that chance Earnshaw had, and I was always picked last in PE (not a joke!).

Not often have the words "beaten but not disgraced" been more apt - on the face of the last two games, it's the first time in a good while I'm not cringing at the state of the Welsh national team.

rebelstar

Post by rebelstar » Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:05 pm

Yep, Wales played really well and deserved the point. At least if you believe the FIFA 4th vs 114th comedy ranking :)

Even Capello seems to have recognised that...speaking of which, I`m really not with the idea of foreign managers working with national teams. Sort of illogical, this. Regardless of the fact the geezer struggles with the language - it might be ok with the administrative duties, but how can you expect to inspire players before/mid game in the dressing room?

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:27 pm

It was a derby , previous form goes out the window. I'm sure the England lads were just relieved to have won. When we're at the finals , it really won't matter how many we won by. Still can't belive the clique still in the England team. Parker making way for Lampard? Really?
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

retrogamerdude

Post by retrogamerdude » Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:46 pm

Football is cruel sometimes - you get alot of chances (i think Spenny had at least 8 ) and yet dont score but the other team has maybe 2 or 3 and score 1
Last edited by retrogamerdude on Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Retro Gamer For Life <3

Lately been playing:
Splatoon 2 (Nintendo Switch)

Last Purchase - Super Mario Odyssey (NS)

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:23 am

paranoid marvin wrote:It was a derby , previous form goes out the window. I'm sure the England lads were just relieved to have won. When we're at the finals , it really won't matter how many we won by.
Exactly. I wasnt thinking we would be Euro champions after the Bulgaria game, on the other hand i wont think its all doom and gloom after the 1-0 win over Wales. 3 points is all that matters and we're practically there so jobs a good un.

Must admit i did miss the premiership this week

dste

Post by dste » Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:26 pm

paranoid marvin wrote:It was a derby , previous form goes out the window. I'm sure the England lads were just relieved to have won. When we're at the finals , it really won't matter how many we won by. Still can't belive the clique still in the England team. Parker making way for Lampard? Really?
I could be wrong but I believe that Parker was left out due to being one yellow card away from suspension.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:30 pm

dste wrote:
paranoid marvin wrote:It was a derby , previous form goes out the window. I'm sure the England lads were just relieved to have won. When we're at the finals , it really won't matter how many we won by. Still can't belive the clique still in the England team. Parker making way for Lampard? Really?
I could be wrong but I believe that Parker was left out due to being one yellow card away from suspension.

Most of what is done for England is for commercial reasons. That;s why players who are blatantly out of form are still automatic selections on the team sheet.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

retrogamerdude

Post by retrogamerdude » Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:55 pm

England v Wales Legends was great - England won 5-0 but it was John Hartson's night - it was for charity :)
Retro Gamer For Life <3

Lately been playing:

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:40 am

It was 6-0, and Dave Beasant's a spoilsport! :wink:

lanky316

Post by lanky316 » Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:02 am

Watching Ricky Whittle terrify defenders made me miss Dream Team, the missus kept wondering why I kept on praising Ryan Naysmith for having still got it"...

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:23 am

For better or worse, international football is finished. It has no future. The big european clubs are taking over and FIFA have done nothing to stop it, in fact they're universally loathed by the clubs AND the public with their meddling, match-fixing, and corrupt ways.

I used to love watching england, but the last time I cared was 2002. Fabio Capello gets paid £6m a year - that's all I need to know to turn my back and concentrate on my club team.

There was an article in the Mirror at the weekend, saying this was England's new young golden generation and they had nothing to fear from the likes of Spain and Italy in next year's Euro's. Please, they beat a terrible Bulgaria team! But the media hyping/tearing down of the national team is just another reason not to follow them.

Shame, eh.
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

retrogamerdude

Post by retrogamerdude » Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:18 am

I hate the paper's - they over hype alot of things - which is why i only read local paper's rather then the sun or the mirror
Retro Gamer For Life <3

Lately been playing:

rebelstar

Post by rebelstar » Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:27 am

Oh, the tabloids :) "Golden generation" huh?

It`s the same old cycle - 1st to hype up & 1st to humiliate. Remember how you were supposed to win the last World Cup (according to S & M at least)? And the moment you were out the knives were out too.

The same with England itself too though - apart from being out of last Euro, always through the group but without much style, just-about-winning with football nobodies. Then folding when encountering some of the big boys. Let`s hope they show something real next year - there are some great players & potential in this team.

Andy L

Post by Andy L » Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:34 am

For me, I couldn't imagine feeling as gutted now as I did when England were knocked out of Italia '90 or Euro '96 - I just can't bring myself to care that much about international football any more. Even when we beat Germany 5-1, there was still quite a buzz around that but I think the fickleness of many of the fans and the overhype of players since (especially in the run-up to tournaments) have just turned me off. I don't think the fact that you'll probably see a higher standard of football in the Champions League than in the World Cup/Euros helps either...