Early DVD cases?

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

Paulie

Re: Early DVD cases?

Post by Paulie » Sat Sep 03, 2011 4:57 pm

Mayhem wrote:My brother has some quite early DVD releases in cardboard/plastic cases with clipped fronts. The first Matrix film is an example.
I have The Lord Of The Rings (Ralph Bakshi animated film) in one of those cases, I much prefer the regular plastic Amaray cases to these early cardboard Warner Bros ones.
My trade/sale thread (Includes my feedback)

http://www.retrogamer.net/forum/viewtop ... =6&t=23510

The Hardest of All Freds

Post by The Hardest of All Freds » Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:59 am

I have 2001, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and Gone With The Wind in the card "snapper" cases and Plunkett and Macleane in the SuperJewell case.
Going Solo...................

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:25 am

I've got Lord Of The Rings, Payback, Three Kings, Full Metal Jacket, Beetlejuice, Contact, Falling Down and Superman in those snapper cases and I did have Beyond The Mat in a jewel case but the case didn't last long.
Splink!

SoupDragon

Post by SoupDragon » Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:01 am

One of my Slipknot dvds is in the clear plastic case and I have a few cardboard snapper cases, the film Valentine for one.

The Angry Jock

Post by The Angry Jock » Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:20 pm

The Hardest of All Freds wrote:I have 2001, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and Gone With The Wind in the card "snapper" cases...
The Kubrick collection all came out in snapper cases, except Sparticus (which wasn't in the set) and Eyes Wide Shut (as that hadn't been released at the time). I've got that next door, still not watched Barry Lyndon 10 years later.
Retropassion reborn
sscott wrote:I fuck1n love the fuck1n Internet and all its fuckin fu(kball opinions. I fuck1n like this fuk(her, I don't fuccckin like this fuckeeer. It's not out yet, that isn't gonna gonna stop me! No sir! and so onnnnnnnnnn........

The Hardest of All Freds

Post by The Hardest of All Freds » Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:29 pm

Just noticed that the TMNT one is the US release. Cue me spending half an hour faffing about trying to find a region hack for my Blu Ray player
Going Solo...................

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:36 pm

The Hardest of All Freds wrote:Just noticed that the TMNT one is the US release. Cue me spending half an hour faffing about trying to find a region hack for my Blu Ray player
I just watch any of my non R2 DVD's on a computer - the non-discriminate DVD player :wink:
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:26 pm

I've got quite a few of the Warner Bros clipper case dvds, including Cobra, Masters of the Universe, Outland, Soldier, 2010, plus others I can't remember. I know about 85% of my Friends dvds are clippers. But, are they worth anything (not the Friends ones, obviously).
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

aztecca

Post by aztecca » Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:31 pm

I had quite a few of the clippers.IBladerunner used to fetch a few quid in cex for some reason.I used to pick that up in Crack convertors quite regularly for 99p than go trade it in cex for £9 or £10.I thikn they eventuallly cottoned on as the price dropped a lot in the end.
SH1T HAPPENS :wink:

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:36 pm

aztecca wrote:I had quite a few of the clippers.IBladerunner used to fetch a few quid in cex for some reason.I used to pick that up in Crack convertors quite regularly for 99p than go trade it in cex for £9 or £10.I thikn they eventuallly cottoned on as the price dropped a lot in the end.
So that was your fault, was it :lol:
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

GigaPepsiMan

Post by GigaPepsiMan » Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:37 am

Never had a jewel case DD but I have had those rubbish cardboard ones.

Hitman_HalStep

Post by Hitman_HalStep » Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:20 pm

saw rumble in the bronx double sided dvd in the carboard box yesterday but it was region 1 so didn't bother.
"i swear the thing is evolving before my eyes,if you see something this big with eight legs heading towards you let me know,i have to kill it before it develops language skills"

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:04 pm

A new discount warehouse has opened up near me so I went to have a look the other day. They have - amongst the other cheap stuff - DVD's, in particular, tons of sealed WB card case DVD's. No idea where they're getting this stock from but it's strange seeing these old style of cases all sealed up as new.

Ended up buying Eight Legged Freaks, Animatrix and Deep Blue Sea in card cases. For some reason, quite like them. The spindles are crap and shatter easily and you can't replace the cover if you damage it but they have a novelty value to me at least.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

retromax

Post by retromax » Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:38 am

I have a South Park DVD in one of those also.... Train Spotting, Can't Hardly Wait, Lock Stock and a Shamen DVD :D ... Eeezer Goode Eeezer Goode.... :lol:

Oh and the good thing about the Shamen DVD is that one side of the disc is PAL and the other side is NTSC!

Oh and I HATED those damn cases too!! and the crappy clip cases from Warner... it was better when they all realized the keep case was the way forward.
Hi I'm Retromax you may remember me from such songs as "Hantarex Two Five Zero" and "Hantarex Two Five Zero" the remix:)