The General Magic: the Gathering Thread

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

QuantumCrayons

The General Magic: the Gathering Thread

Post by QuantumCrayons » Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:01 pm

Today, I finally got around to buying my first pack of these cards (and my friend's giving me some intro packs tomorrow) after years of looking at the game and wanting to play, but it being out of my price range.
Has anyone else played in days gone by or does anybody still play? Is it worthwhile playing in tournaments, or is it much more likely I'll just waste my money and get eliminated at every turn?
Last edited by QuantumCrayons on Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Lorfarius

Re: Magic the Gathering

Post by Lorfarius » Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:41 pm

I've been looking at the online version today and even went so far as to download a demo.
For all your mad retro gaming needs, regular content on a daily basis!

https://www.youtube.com/user/Lorfarius

Crunchy

Post by Crunchy » Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:44 pm

Is this a general Magic: The Gathering thread?

Can I just say I don't understand this game at all. I've downloaded the demo for this on XBLA three times and tried to understand how to play it but I just can't get my head around my opponent having a go while it is still my go. I usually pick things up very quickly indeed. I think my brain capped out at Top Trumps though.

The game has always looked rather brill to me too. That's the sad thing. I especially liked those Zelda decks that somebody made and posted online.

*sigh*

QuantumCrayons

Post by QuantumCrayons » Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:51 pm

Crunchy wrote:Is this a general Magic: The Gathering thread?

Can I just say I don't understand this game at all. I've downloaded the demo for this on XBLA three times and tried to understand how to play it but I just can't get my head around my opponent having a go while it is still my go. I usually pick things up very quickly indeed. I think my brain capped out at Top Trumps though.

The game has always looked rather brill to me too. That's the sad thing. I especially liked those Zelda decks that somebody made and posted online.

*sigh*
Sure!

Have you played anything like Yu-Gi-Oh etc. before? Basically, I think you're misunderstanding just a small part of the gameplay. When you attack an enemy, the enemy has a chance to block/negate/whatever your attack. This can be done with their own monsters or with extra cards that they have in their hand.
Either this, or the timer is causing you problems. I hate the timer in the Planeswalker games.

filecore

Post by filecore » Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:51 pm

I play Magic yep, the paper, er card version. I got back into it about 2 years ago after first playing it from 95-98. I love it.

I've just started going to drafts on Tuesday nights, and play regularly at Friday night Magics and qualifiers, pre-releases etc at Manaleak in Worcester. I also played in the Grand Prix London this year which is a big sanctioned tourny that happens all round the world.

You can make some pretty decent decks for cheap - one of the most effective for cheap at the moment is a "poison" deck, but all the very high level decks have big investments in them. My current main deck probably cost me over £100 to make, and that's cheap compared to some.

But if you just want to play with mates, then it doesn't have to be expensive - there's formats where you can only use common cards (pauper) etc.

Playing Magic online is definitely cheaper, but I like the interaction you get with real people, and can't stomach paying money for virtual cards.
Each to their own though, I know Darran plays a lot of MODO. He'll be able to give you some tips on that. Different versions suit different people.

harlequ1n

Re: The General Magic: the Gathering Thread

Post by harlequ1n » Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:58 pm

I played Duels of the Planeswalkers back when it was released on XBLA and loved it, bought those premade decks and played the real thing for a while. But then again, I've got so little time for so many duties and hobbies so I quit it.

If only Wizards of the Coast invested heavily into the online platform, with the Planeswalkers' engine (with higher level of gameplay customisation, free deckbuilding, etc) for PSN/XBLA/Steam/iOS they would own the card game industry.

QuantumCrayons

Post by QuantumCrayons » Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:17 pm

filecore wrote:virtual cards.
I think the best thing for me was opening up that first booster and just seeing the great quality of the cards. I've been used to Pokémon/Yu-Gi-Oh before and to see such thick, solid, well made cards was very impressive! The art is also amazing.

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:20 pm

Being a self-professed Yu Gi Oh expert I found that Magic was very easy to pick up and play.

Don't play with physical cards but I did have the XBLA game, it's pretty fun but has terrible cheating AI

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:53 pm

I used to absolutely love this game. I played it a lot at Uni, but I was terrible at it. I remember my flatmates having to explain the rules to me v e r y s l o w l y.

I've still got my black, white & blue pack somewhere but I haven't played against a real human being for about 15 years.

@Crunchy There's an old pc game subtitled "Spells of the Ancients" which explains the basics of the game pretty well. It provides a pretty good tutorial which explains who moves when & things like interrupts & the like. It might be worth tracking down to help you get to grips with it.
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

pforson

Post by pforson » Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:53 am

Magic is amazing. It's easily one of the best 'games' ever made, in my opinion.

I used to play Magic very seriously when I was younger and had more free time. I first played from Revised / Ice Age through to Tempest. I also played a little bit later around the time of Odyssey block. I played in loads of tourneys - just missed out on the top 8 at a London PTQ (finished 9th out of 300 entrants), but was pleased I didn't make it because they did a Rochester draft! I also won a regional (got a horrible play mat, a box of boosters and some t-shirts I wouldn't be seen dead in). I used to live near several American Air bases and we went to loads of drafts etc. on the bases.

I haven't played for donkeys years (except on the xbox) and I too have been tempted by the online version but don't want to pay real money for 'virtual' cards. I have folders and boxes galore of cards. If anyone is thinking of getting into the game and lives near bromley them give me a shout, I have thousands of commons you can have (far far too heavy to post).

If people are interested then maybe we could run a few drafts at one of the retro events?

Great thread.

WANTED: Amiga CD32 games. PM me. :)

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:39 am

Only one forest & 9 to summon Chuck? I'd have said he'd at least be born of fire!
pforson wrote:If people are interested then maybe we could run a few drafts at one of the retro events?
Very tempted, a couple of the guys I'm going to Replay with are among those I played MTG with at Uni. Mind you, I haven't seen some of these boys for a few years so we may be too busy doing drinking & catching up to have a proper game.

This fella was top trump when we used to play...
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

supermario

Post by supermario » Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:16 pm

Used to play (card version) from about 95-99 (4th Ed through to 6th and all the ones in between). Still have all my cards although I keep threatening to sell them !

QuantumCrayons

Post by QuantumCrayons » Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:25 pm

Welp, went to Glasgow today and finally got a good deck together. Black/White, half based on poisoning to death (colourless/black), half based on normal attacks and giving myself life (white). Although, I am a little out of pocket >.> (£18.50 for the 175 cards in my possession). I am going to spend too much money on this, I can see it coming already!
EDIT: Of course, this isn't original Magic, this is the newest stuff.

Dunjohn

Post by Dunjohn » Sat Aug 06, 2011 5:35 am

I've been playing for about eleven years now. If I tried harder I should be winning decent-sized tournaments but I just approach it too casually. Like, I'll decide I love a particular card or strategy and insist on using it even when it's not top-tier.
It's called a MEGADRIVE

QuantumCrayons

Post by QuantumCrayons » Sat Aug 06, 2011 5:13 pm

Seeing as we've got a fair few players around, would anyone be up for having a Workstation/Cockatrice tournament?