Virtual boy ac adaptor?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

rolan

Virtual boy ac adaptor?

Post by rolan » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:05 am

Just wondering how this works as I know you have to get a Japanese or US tap adapter to allow a snes power cable to be used to power the virtual boy.

But do you have to buy a Japanese supre famicom or US Snes cable to get the virtual boy to run or will it work fine with a UK snes/Nes lead?

thanks in advance....

rolan

Re: Virtual boy ac adaptor?

Post by rolan » Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:58 pm

Bump... anyone have any ideas? Otherwise I'll just have to play the "will it catch fire or not" lottery game... :(

random_dave

Post by random_dave » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:53 am

99% sure that my virtual boy adapter has a different sized barrel to my PAL Snes adapter, it's pretty chunky
MSN: dlanki [at] Hotmail.com
360: lanki of badger
psn/twitter/playfire: random_dave

adippm82

Post by adippm82 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:04 am

I use my Pal SNES mains lead with no problems whatsoever, I have the Japanese AC tap adaptor.

random_dave

Post by random_dave » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:48 am

heh heh, I'd best check my 1% uncertainty tonight ;-)
MSN: dlanki [at] Hotmail.com
360: lanki of badger
psn/twitter/playfire: random_dave

rolan

Post by rolan » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:56 am

Thanks so much guys, when my Jap Tap arrives I'll plug it in. Just to check Random Dave you're in the UK or Ireland yeah? Some Pal plugs from other parts of Europe might have a different voltage or something..

rolan

Post by rolan » Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:35 pm

rolan wrote:Thanks so much guys, when my Jap Tap arrives I'll plug it in. Just to check Random Dave you're in the UK or Ireland yeah? Some Pal plugs from other parts of Europe might have a different voltage or something..
oops meant to ask that of adippm82 lol

adippm82

Post by adippm82 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:04 pm

Yes, I am from the UK, My Snes adaptor is the original UK one from 1992.

Quite funny when my Virtual boy arrived it came with a stepdown converter, plugged into some God awful Korean power supply, with six wires coming out of it, all well over a metre long, with plugs of various sizes on the end of them, one look at that monstrosity and I asked a similar question on another forum, who told me a SNES lead is fine, I have never used anything else.

And the Korean one went in a skip.

rolan

Post by rolan » Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:27 pm

adippm82 wrote:Yes, I am from the UK, My Snes adaptor is the original UK one from 1992.

Quite funny when my Virtual boy arrived it came with a stepdown converter, plugged into some God awful Korean power supply, with six wires coming out of it, all well over a metre long, with plugs of various sizes on the end of them, one look at that monstrosity and I asked a similar question on another forum, who told me a SNES lead is fine, I have never used anything else.

And the Korean one went in a skip.
Excellent thanks so much. Amazingly I couldn't find an answer for this anywhere on the internet so thanks so much for letting me know you saved me buying an american cable and a stepdown :D

Dizrythmia

Post by Dizrythmia » Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:40 am

Maybe it depends on where you get the Adapter Tap from. I'm from Australia & my Adapter Tap is from the US. I have all 3 SNES systems (PAL, NTSCU, NTSCJ) & the only power cable that fits the tap is the US model.

As I said, I bought my Adapter Tap from the US so maybe this is why. The Japanese model may be different...

rolan

Post by rolan » Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:13 pm

Yeah i think i remember reading that the jap and us ones are different.. anyway thanks guys when it FINALLY arrives I'll check out the tap and plug it all in...