Issue 92 Feedback Thread

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

necronom

Re: Issue 92 Feedback Thread

Post by necronom » Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:05 am

rolan wrote:I never really thought that it was more the PC that killed them off in the end.
Is that what the article says? I'm a bit behind with my reading, but I would say that it was almost without question that the ST, Amiga, and then a bit later, the 16-bit consoles that killed off the 8-bits.
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

pantal00ns

Post by pantal00ns » Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:07 am

necronom wrote:
rolan wrote:I never really thought that it was more the PC that killed them off in the end.
Is that what the article says? I'm a bit behind with my reading, but I would say that it was almost without question that the ST, Amiga, and then a bit later, the 16-bit consoles that killed off the 8-bits.
I have yet to get to the article, but would definately agree with this.

Once I saw an ST running as a mates, my Speccy was archived!!!!

Fred83

Post by Fred83 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:46 am

I think the 8 bits gave as good they got in the early 90s.North and south,street fighter II,nigel mansells gp,lemmings,all ported to the 128k speccy!.

According to this link prince of persia speccy was set for official release but licencing rights got in the way- http://simoncooke.com/samcoupe/release.html
Last edited by Fred83 on Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

harlequ1n

Post by harlequ1n » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:37 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
harlequ1n wrote:How longer does it normally take for the iOS edition to hit the (virtual) shelf after the printed mag is out?
It comes out the same day as the mag. So this Thursday.
Hmm, it's Friday and still no virtual mag :(

thingonaspring

Post by thingonaspring » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:55 am

posted by harlequ1n on Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:37 pm
is it :? :?: :D

joefish

Post by joefish » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:08 am

necronom wrote:
My understanding is that with the release of the big 16-bit consoles, the 8-bit consoles were slashed in price. There was a long period when SEGA supported both the SMS and MD with top-quality new releases. All those systems combined quickly overtook the market. And all the big games producers figured there was far more money to be made in console software, so just abandoned the 8-bit computers.

The Amiga / ST made nowhere near the same impact in home sales as all those 8-bit computers, as a new market of dedicated games (consoles) and dedicated productivity (PC) systems started to appeal to a wider portion of the public. I think it's fair to suggest that most STs and Amigas only ever sold to hangers-on from the 8-bit home computer boom. I mean, try finding someone who ever says their first computer was an ST or Amiga..?
Last edited by joefish on Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

harlequ1n

Post by harlequ1n » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:23 am

thingonaspring wrote:posted by harlequ1n on Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:37 pm
Lol, beer is bad for me I guess :lol:

Fred83

Post by Fred83 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:35 pm

joefish wrote:The Amiga / ST made nowhere near the same impact in home sales as all those 8-bit computers, as a new market of dedicated games (consoles) and dedicated productivity (PC) systems started to appeal to a wider portion of the public. I think it's fair to suggest that most STs and Amigas only ever sold to hangers-on from the 8-bit home computer boom. I mean, try finding someone who ever says their first computer was an ST or Amiga..?
i think most people bought them for pirate games!.

8 bit death article was great.Reading about magazine sales figures.Out of curiosity on an unrelated issue of mag sales of dying machines.I dug out some old amiga format magazines.From 1994 the readership figure was 140,000 by 2000 the readership figure was down to 11,000.
Last edited by Fred83 on Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

deadpan666

Post by deadpan666 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:20 pm

Well, I'm going to love any issue that prints my Blinky's Scary School review on a two-page spread, aren't I... :mrgreen:

Not read through the whole thing yet, but it does seem to be a really good issue...looking forward to reading it properly once I've stopped passing the mag around my family and claiming my 15 minutes of fame.. :wink:

And as everyone else has said, really looking forward to the SNES stuff next month...and the Rastan stuff too, as that's one of my all-time faves!
Cinema Of Stuff Presents - The Undying Monster! http://tinyurl.com/nekrjdx

Let's go, Mr. Driver!

NorthWay

Post by NorthWay » Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:09 pm

joefish wrote: I think it's fair to suggest that most STs and Amigas only ever sold to hangers-on from the 8-bit home computer boom. I mean, try finding someone who ever says their first computer was an ST or Amiga..?
I totally agree. It is a weird thing, but in the 80s "everyone" thought they needed a computer. As they eventually found out it aced at games, they either left it behind, got a console, or upgraded to 16-bits.
Of course, nowadays everyone "know" they need a computer. This time around, I wont argue against. (Mom has one fer chrissake! Surfing and Skype is all the justification you need...)

fozmcfc

Post by fozmcfc » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:34 pm

Firstly RIP to Paul Hope, was lovely to see his family invite you guys in for a chat about the game. Never ever used a Vic20 but definately going to take a look at the game via an emulator.

Really enjoying what I have read so far of the issue, will be leaving the game over for the 8 bit article till last, hopefully it's not as disappointing as some say.

Nice to see lots of 8 bit coverage this month, I'm much more of a home computer person than a console person.

Way it's going could well be my favourite issue this year.

fozmcfc

Post by fozmcfc » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:42 pm

pantal00ns wrote:
necronom wrote:
I have yet to get to the article, but would definately agree with this.

Read ST as Amiga and Speccy as C64 for me. :D

pantal00ns

Post by pantal00ns » Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:24 am

fozmcfc wrote:
pantal00ns wrote:I have yet to get to the article, but would definately agree with this.

Read ST as Amiga and Speccy as C64 for me. :D
Damn those rich folk.... :wink:

harlequ1n

Post by harlequ1n » Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:38 am

thingonaspring wrote:posted by harlequ1n on Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:37 pm
Well, now it IS officially Friday and no mag yet.

DRS

Post by DRS » Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:00 pm

Top, top issue - lots to like but especially because it has my two favourite RG articles for oooh, ages... at least since the lost Speccy games one...

Vector games - ace games and an article that did them justice. Loved the boxouts on individual games and the mini-interviews with creators. Great to get so many voices in there Mike.

Death of 8-bits - old Mart told a tale there... again loads of different voices and intriguing boxouts with snippets from them. An excellent balance of stats and a sweet turn of phrase that stopped you getting overwhelmed by all the figures ('Vic-20: business up front, party out back' - genius). I was surprised at how big the 8-bits still were at the end of the 80s in terms of sales and mag readership (amazing circulation figs!)

Great stuff. More please.