Questions for Gary 'Zzap' Penn

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

crusto

Re: Questions for Gary 'Zzap' Penn

Post by crusto » Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:27 pm

What was your favourite C64 game? And what is your all time favourite game? And can I have a job?

Eat your nans pants

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:59 pm

What was it like having the most enviable of all jobs for a C64-owning teenager at the time?
And how often did you guys beat up Paul Glancey?

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:01 am

What was the most humourous tale from your time at Zzap?

Which review score would you change and why and what would you change it to?

Which software house/developer/programme did you find it most difficult to deal with and why?

If you had your time in Gaming again, which decision do you most regret and why?

Which moment in your career would you most like to be remembered for and which would you most like forgotten?
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

Hiro

Post by Hiro » Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:44 am

Who were the C64 music composers you appreciated the most?
Any tune on the C64 you remember most fondly?

Why care about the weather
It always ends in dark

DRS

Post by DRS » Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:54 am

What a lot of ace questions. Really appreciate it folks. I'm printing them off as i'm talking to Gary at noon so your work here is done and thanks again.

Paul @;]

RichL

Post by RichL » Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:27 pm

Dear Gary,

You know in The Games Machine right, do you remember when it reviewed strip poker, how did you manage to print the picture of the womans lady garden and were there really loads of loads of complaints about it?

I've still got it after all these years!!

lavalyte

Post by lavalyte » Sun Jul 24, 2011 4:14 am

What was it like having the coolest job in the world?
Which games did you see under development that were never released that you thought would have been great games?
What do you think of Andrew Brabybrooks "Morpheus"?
'I have nothing but the greatest respect for other peoples' crackpot beliefs' - Sam The Eagle.

Denny Haynes

Post by Denny Haynes » Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:46 pm

If you could go back in time, would you do it all again?
I,m gonna live forever or die trying!

DRS

Post by DRS » Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:56 am

I appreciate your contributions lads but as i put in my post a few ones up, i talked to Gary last thursday so I'm afraid you missed the cut... he was dead entertaining even if i didn't get chance to ask him about 'lady gardens'.... actually, i DID ask him about that because he had a stint at Knave before he joined Commodore User. Apparently the readers letters are real (which came as a surprise)... in fact his job was to tone them down because they were too filthy. I expressed my amazement and he proceeded to tell me about a regular letter writer, a farmer with a sheepdog, and i had to agree.

merman

Post by merman » Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:39 am

DRS wrote:I appreciate your contributions lads but as i put in my post a few ones up, i talked to Gary last thursday so I'm afraid you missed the cut... he was dead entertaining even if i didn't get chance to ask him about 'lady gardens'.... actually, i DID ask him about that because he had a stint at Knave before he joined Commodore User. Apparently the readers letters are real (which came as a surprise)... in fact his job was to tone them down because they were too filthy. I expressed my amazement and he proceeded to tell me about a regular letter writer, a farmer with a sheepdog, and i had to agree.
Something seems to draw ZZAP! editors to the top shelf... Steve Shields went on to work for Paul Raymond's Club International...
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

Anonymous X

Post by Anonymous X » Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:28 pm

Seems to have been mysteriously written out of history that G. Penn was Consultant Editor (a Freelancer Plus, in other words) for Amiga Power during the magazine's first year. Perhaps he didn't enjoy the experience?

Fandenivoldsk

Post by Fandenivoldsk » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:28 pm

Any cracked Commodore 64 software to be found in the Zzap!64 office, or did you always write reviews based on playing original copies?

Edit: Argh, guess I'm too late for this question.........

Rev. Stuart Campbell

Post by Rev. Stuart Campbell » Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:53 pm

DRS wrote:Hello all. My next castaway is someone who should be familiar to those who read games magazines in the 80s (especially if you had a Commodore machine). Gary Penn's CV (well, highlights of it...) is pasted below and includes involvement with plenty of games as well as mags. As always, ask whatever you like - I'm talking to him this thursday afternoon.

Cheers in advance

Paul @;]

Magazines:
The One (editor)
Commodore User (Deputy Editor)
The Games Machine (co-editor at launch)
Zzap! 64 (staff writer 1985 to editor 1987)
Gaz was also Consultant Editor on Amiga Power for its first year or so (as I've just noticed someone mentioning above). Ask him if he's ever eaten dog food again.

Gibberish Driftwood

Post by Gibberish Driftwood » Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:07 am

When will we get to read the interview with Gary Penn? Next issue maybe?
Ken sent me.
Do the Kirby dance: (>'-')> <('-'<) ^(' - ')^ <('-'<) (>'-')>

DRS

Post by DRS » Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:29 am

The Gary Penn piece is for RG95. I ended up changing the format to an In the Chair piece because it meant i could get more words in (he had a LOT to say!) and also more readers questions in... though i still couldn't fit in a quarter of what people asked. I will try to put some of his additional responses in a 'DVD extras' thread after the main piece is published. And RevStu, after winning the 'eating dogfood' bet, it appears he's not gone back on the Chum since.

Paul @;]