Non recycled retro stuff

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

nwosteve

Non recycled retro stuff

Post by nwosteve » Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:00 am

recently got a job at a household waste recycling site and have seen a number of retro gaming stff dumped, for example...

megadrive 2 with mega cd 20 odd games
dragon 32 all leads and a few tapes
amiga 2000 working perfectly
massive stack of speccy mags (i rescued these)
gx4000 boxed with games
nintendo 64dd with doshin the giant

crimaial stuff...dont they know what they are worth?
"You're all going to die." MK3 promo posters

DPrinny

Re: Non recycled retro stuff

Post by DPrinny » Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:02 am

Dunno lol

But id grab it if you can

nwosteve

Post by nwosteve » Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:03 am

am trying but we are not suppoded to so its difficult...
"You're all going to die." MK3 promo posters

bensonrad

Post by bensonrad » Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:29 am

I often wish I could dive into some of those skips and capture all the good stuff people chuck away, alot of poeple are just clearing out there lot of kids (who have grown up) rooms and take it straight to the tip. Sometimes our local tip puts the games in a sold as seen sales area, most stuff is 50p, but you go through it all and find people have nicked all the carts or discs, leaving empty cases. If you try and take anything electrical they say its not allowed and back into the skip it goes. (as they would be liable if they gave it away and that person then electricuted themselves). I have been crafting in the past, by parking my car as close to the skip as possible, emptying out my own black bin bags into the skip and cunningly scooping what I want/spotted back into the same bag, before throwing it in the boot of the car.

It is a sad sight though seeing old monitors, sky boxes, Digital cameras, mobile phones, consoles etc, being wasted.

I wondered if you created your own bin for people to post video games/CDs/DVDs into, would they allow it down at the council sites? Once a day you could then go up and pour the contents into your car.

Save as much as you can dude!
WANTED: Mario Party 3 on N64 (just the Box only) ANY SNES GAMES, OR EMPTY SNES BOXES, INSTRUCTION MANUALS or WHITE INNER TRAYS.

tekaotaku

Post by tekaotaku » Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:12 am

nwosteve wrote:recently got a job at a household waste recycling site and have seen a number of retro gaming stff dumped, for example...

megadrive 2 with mega cd 20 odd games
dragon 32 all leads and a few tapes
amiga 2000 working perfectly
massive stack of speccy mags (i rescued these)
gx4000 boxed with games
nintendo 64dd with doshin the giant

crimaial stuff...dont they know what they are worth?
Its disgusting isn't it, I work for North Lincolnshire Council, and we visit the recycling site a number of time a day. I've managed to save a few items, graphics cards, memory, processors, a few consoles (N64 sent to bensonrad, did it work!?!?) but be very very careful if you decide to liberate something! SITA own the site we tip at, they sacked a member of staff the other month for taking a few items from the electrical pile (WEEE thingy) because as far they are concerned once its on a SITA site it is there property and so viewed as theft!

I have put a request into there management to see if it would be possible to take anything sometimes, but so far heard nothing, and then I was informed of the site employee being sacked so I kinda don't do my stealth missions to see whats loose and I can take anymore lol.

It is a shame, all they do is pile it high then run over it all with a JCB then load the crushed waste into a lorry to be shipped and melted down and any precious metals recycled (which I suppose is where the money is)

But seeing as it one of the household recycling schemes put a formal request in to your bosses, the worst they can say is no, but a lot of other employees may turn a blind eye to it but just be careful and good hunting.
Image - "still barking at the silver moon!"

bensonrad

Post by bensonrad » Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:30 am

There was an article in the paper a few months back, a man "who liked fixing things" took a Wii or 360 from the local rubbish dump skip, and the armed police were called, including a helicopter which followed hima and arrested him. The whole story was all about it cost £10K+ for all the police the helicopter all for something that had a scap value to the tip of 11p :lol:

The police and tip, said people that usualy stole things from the skips were more than likely offenders of other crimes and they had to act approriately.

Be warned! :lol:
WANTED: Mario Party 3 on N64 (just the Box only) ANY SNES GAMES, OR EMPTY SNES BOXES, INSTRUCTION MANUALS or WHITE INNER TRAYS.

bensonrad

Post by bensonrad » Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:31 am

Saying that, some real pikey's asked if they could get in one of the household waste skips to fish out some stuff they liked the look of at mine and they were allowed and walked off with armfuls of crap.

tekaotaku

Post by tekaotaku » Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:49 am

bensonrad wrote:Saying that, some real pikey's asked if they could get in one of the household waste skips to fish out some stuff they liked the look of at mine and they were allowed and walked off with armfuls of crap.
That's it, the flip side of the coin.....if you "grease" the palms of some workers they will turn a blind eye, then you have the jobs worth who do everything by the book....just ask out right, make your intentions clear and see how it go's.

The problem with some of the household sites is they have no pedestrian access and cars/vans only. Makes it hard to get to some of the storage units they keep the electrical items in.

I did hear a news story about one recycling tip that used to hold sales and you could go and make a donation for the electrical waste they had...I'm going to find the story in a bit. One of the local rags....

James A

Post by James A » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:31 am

It does vary from company to company. Im not saying who i work for suffice its a major waste recycling company. The CA site next to where i work had all the staff sacked the other week for selling stuff on the side out of the electrical skip. There had been complains made against them and the in house security team set up hidden cameras and caught them in the act

Now before hand we used to able to help ourselves to stuff out of there and i got alot of game stuff out of there. Now its an automatic sacking offence although that hasn't stopped staff. Ive stopped now after this malarky with hidden cameras, but ive already seen a PS3 with all its leads and pads been thrown inot the skip last week :cry:

I really do think its criminal that alot of this stuff goes to waste. As i work in quite an affluent area near Oxford you'd be amazed at what people throw away. Wasteful society.

Fred83

Post by Fred83 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:38 am

James A wrote:Now before hand we used to able to help ourselves to stuff out of there and i got alot of game stuff out of there. Now its an automatic sacking offence although that hasn't stopped staff. Ive stopped now after this malarky with hidden cameras, but ive already seen a PS3 with all its leads and pads been thrown inot the skip last week :cry:

I really do think its criminal that alot of this stuff goes to waste. As i work in quite an affluent area near Oxford you'd be amazed at what people throw away. Wasteful society.
im sure its for legal reasons really.

James A

Post by James A » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:49 am

Fred83 wrote:
James A wrote:Now before hand we used to able to help ourselves to stuff out of there and i got alot of game stuff out of there. Now its an automatic sacking offence although that hasn't stopped staff. Ive stopped now after this malarky with hidden cameras, but ive already seen a PS3 with all its leads and pads been thrown inot the skip last week :cry:

im sure its for legal reasons really.
No publicity actually. A few months back a woman dropped a flatscreen TV off at the CA site and told the lads that it was working fine but she didn't want it anymore. One of the blokes who works in another area heard this and asked the CA site to put it to one side for him. The woman heard this and went to the local paper and wrote to the company head office which caused a right censored storm. After that we were told we wern't allowed to take stuff anymore. Same things happend at several other sites.

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:52 am

what does she expect if she drops it off at that tip?

Why shouldn't someone make use of it rather than it going in landfill?

She should have taken it to a bloody charity shop in the first place.
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:01 am

As someone said earlier, if (for example) I took an Xbox out of a skip, brought it home, plugged it in and it went on fire and burned my house down then the recycling company (and the local council) could be liable.

Basically, vulture law firms have ruined any fun this country used to have. There was a famous (up here anyway) episode of World In Action from the 80s which showed people rummaging through Bidston tip in the Wirral! (Actually, i think someone put the link on here a few weeks back). That wouldn't happen now - but with the way the economy's going I wouldn't be suprirsed if some legislation was brought in that allows councils to start giving away/selling items at recycling centres - it's better to reuse items than to recycle them. In fact this might already happen somewhere, someone above posted.

And yes, it's my job! Where there's muck there's brass as the ancient saying goes!
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

tekaotaku

Post by tekaotaku » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:23 am

Not what I was looking for but an interesting-ish read:

http://www.theanswerbank.co.uk/Law/Question804195.html

Apparently then I must have broken the law quite a bit now then.....oh well....

mohicankid

Post by mohicankid » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:29 am

could you ask for console stuff to be donated to charity? i'd happily get an official letter sorted! :D
Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water...