Gun games the best and the worst

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

thl

Re: Gun games the best and the worst

Post by thl » Sun Jun 26, 2011 4:01 pm

Operation Wolf is probably my favourite when it comes to the Master System conversion. Still it doesn't beat the arcade cab that has the uzi attach to it. The Virtua Cop series is really impressive too, especially when playing through those stages in two player mode.
TwoHeadedBoy wrote:Laser Ghost on the Master System's a good one - defending a girl from the many horrors of a haunted house.
Rescue Mission is another one that springs in mind, in which you have to protect the medic from invading army.

adippm82

Post by adippm82 » Sun Jun 26, 2011 7:19 pm

Three of my favourite gun games from years ago were T2: The Arcade Game, Battleclash, loved shooting bits off the robots, and X-Zone, all on the SNES, shame the Super Scope was the most ridiculous looking thing to use.

Saturn was great for Virtua Cop 1+2, and I also enjoyed House of the Dead, Looked rough but played OK, Loved Die Hard 2 on the PS1 as well.

House ofthe Dead 2 and Confidential Mission on the DreamCast, great games, did have HOTD 3 on X-box, but never had a gun for that.

The single worst gun game I have played is Corpse Killer on the 32x Mega CD, one of those games that is so bad it's funny.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abCDgRFo ... re=related

JazzFunk

Post by JazzFunk » Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:27 pm

Used to like Beast Busters in the arcade, don't think it ever had a home conversion.

Home favourites for me have got to be Point Blank 1 & 3 on PS1 (never managed to get hold of 2), House Of The Dead 2 on DC (and I played it with the PAD and totally loved it!) and Time Crisis 2 on PS2. Also liked Mighty Hits Special on PS1, even though it's a bit cacky.

Worst gun game has to be that Code Veronica Resi Survivor on PS2, 'tis abysmal.

joefish

Post by joefish » Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:36 am

DPrinny wrote:I have one credited Virtua cop, 2 and House of the dead.If you have the skill you can one credit them.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm assuming for now that that wasn't on your first go...

I quite like Lethal Enforcers for two reasons (i) all the silly things the baddies say (sampled from episodes of Police Squad) and (ii) being able to put it in 2-player mode and playing with both guns; even if you don't last long it's loads of fun.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:43 am

I became addicted to them back when I got them

che_don_john

Post by che_don_john » Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:50 am

I have a soft spot for the Virtua Cop games on the Saturn but my firm favourites are the Playstation Time Crisis games.

Sheffield Uni union used to have a TC2 cabinet so my housemate and I once set ourselves the goal of trying to beat it and hopefully top the score. We practiced on the PS2 version for about 3 weeks in preparation, only to get down to the union and find that they'd removed the bloody cabinet.

I was regrettably unable to finish TC3, as when I moved back home after uni and bought my first LCD TV my mum annoyingly decided to take my old cathode ray TV to the skip. From what I played of it, at least, I thought it was a very decent game, much more challenging than the others.

As for dislikes, I was never keen on the Jurassic Park game. Maybe its just that I was crap at it.
CheDonJohn's Sale/Trade/Wanted/Giveaway thread

PSN ID, XBL Gamertag and Steam: CheDonJohn
Playfire profile

Fishsta

Post by Fishsta » Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:11 am

OK, here we go... and I'm going to stick to arcade only here, simply because they tended to have the best quality guns, plus that's where I played most of them...

Great Gun Games:

Virtua Cop 3 (best ever)
The NEW Rambo arcade game (great fun)
Virtua Cop 1 & 2 (One credited these)
Time Crisis 1 & 2 (One credited these, in fact 1-LIFED Time Crisis 2)
Crisis Zone
Point Blank 1 & 2
Bang! (Point Blank rip-off... quite good fun)
Confidential Mission
Mad Dog McRee (I know, but I think the original was fantastic)
House of The Dead 1 & 2
Gunblade NY
Silent Scope 1 & 2

Good Gun Games:

Operation Wolf & Thunderbolt
Lethal Enforcers 1 & 2 (put off by the fact that the reaction time decreases with every enemy until it's physically impossible not to lose a life)
Time Crisis 3 & 4
Ghost Squad
House of the Dead 3
Space Pirates
Drug Wars 1 & 2
Who Shot Johnny Rock?
Beast Busters
Alien 3: The Gun
Area 51
Maximum Force
Lucky & Wild
Terminator 2: Judgement Day
Line of Fire
Police Trainer (felt a bit tacky to me)
Steel Gunner

Poor / Disappointing Gun Games:

Operation Wolf 3
House of the Dead 4
Carneval
Crypt Killer
Jurassic Park

I was definitely a big fan of gun games.
ImageImage