Gun games the best and the worst

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Mootown

Re: Gun games the best and the worst

Post by Mootown » Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:58 pm

TwoHeadedBoy wrote:Laser Ghost on the Master System's a good one - defending a girl from the many horrors of a haunted house.

Deadstorm Pirates is a great game, always looking for that in the arcades - how can any home conversion replicate the rocking boat and the spinning wheel?
I have deadstorm pirates - it's on ps3 and it does it using move. Cool game

Smraedis

Post by Smraedis » Sun Jun 26, 2011 4:07 am

Mootown wrote:
TwoHeadedBoy wrote:Laser Ghost on the Master System's a good one - defending a girl from the many horrors of a haunted house.

Deadstorm Pirates is a great game, always looking for that in the arcades - how can any home conversion replicate the rocking boat and the spinning wheel?
You just have to move the cursor around the screen in a cirlce like motion, which is a lot easier than using that stupid wheel...
I wish the arcade game used gun controllers instead of a mounted joystick, even the characters have guns!

Fightersmegamix

Post by Fightersmegamix » Sun Jun 26, 2011 5:28 am

House of the dead 2 is my favourite, the virtua cop games are pretty good too.

Plenty of bad games, wasn't there one with aerosmith that was supposed to be terrible?

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Sun Jun 26, 2011 7:14 am

Smraedis wrote:
Mootown wrote:

You just have to move the cursor around the screen in a cirlce like motion, which is a lot easier than using that stupid wheel...
I wish the arcade game used gun controllers instead of a mounted joystick, even the characters have guns!
Well those are the things I like about the game that sets it apart from the rest, the whole madness of wielding those mounted cannons and then going to grab the wheel, all whilst the cab's rocking about the place. It's "unique" (apart from those Island Of Spice games, can't remember what they're called specifically - but they're more or less the same).
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

Lord Innit

Post by Lord Innit » Sun Jun 26, 2011 7:41 am

Confidential Mission on the Dreamcast is my out and out favorite lightgun game.Also like Virtua Cops 1+2 on Saturn plus House of the Dead 2 on Dreamcast.The Die Hard 2 section of Die Hard Trilogy was quite enjoyable too.

Smraedis

Post by Smraedis » Sun Jun 26, 2011 7:57 am

TwoHeadedBoy wrote:
Smraedis wrote:You just have to move the cursor around the screen in a cirlce like motion, which is a lot easier than using that stupid wheel...
Well those are the things I like about the game that sets it apart from the rest, the whole madness of wielding those mounted cannons and then going to grab the wheel, all whilst the cab's rocking about the place. It's "unique" (apart from those Island Of Spice games, can't remember what they're called specifically - but they're more or less the same).
Let's Go Jungle :roll:
Yeah it's pretty clear that Namco saw that a poor game was successful, so just made one better. I don't mind using the mounted joysticks, but I'm just a lot better with using guns.

joefish

Post by joefish » Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:10 am

Really not a fan of most of SEGA's lightgun games (Virtua Cop, House of the Dead). They're just coin-gobblers. Once I had a go at the evade system from NAMCO I realised all games should have one.

So, Time Crisis is the top one for me.
Although Link's Crossbow Training is pretty amazing too.

Biggest disappointment was Resident Evil: Gun Survivor. It could have been good, but it was just so slow. It could have done with a few more creatures on-screen at times, rather than just a few multi-hit ones. Or the ability to use a joypad for movement.

I've seen a 2-player arcade cockpit/moving seat game like Let's Go Jungle or Lost World that had a minecart section. What was that one? They're all actually quite good ones from SEGA.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:25 am

joefish wrote:Really not a fan of most of SEGA's lightgun games (Virtua Cop, House of the Dead). They're just coin-gobblers. Once I had a go at the evade system from NAMCO I realised all games should have one.
I have one credited Virtua cop, 2 and House of the dead.
If you have the skill you can one credit them. (Unless the machine owner is stingy and has it on one life with a badly calibrated gun)

Smraedis

Post by Smraedis » Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:38 am

Yeah I agree there, but I do believe some games are a lot more unfair than others.. like in Virtua Cop 1 stage 1 scene 3, if you shoot some of the enemies too fast, then the time allowed to shoot the next enemy drops to about 2 frames of the enemy being on the screen.
joefish wrote:I've seen a 2-player arcade cockpit/moving seat game like Let's Go Jungle or Lost World that had a minecart section. What was that one? They're all actually quite good ones from SEGA.
Sounds like the Cave stage on DeadStorm Pirates.

learnedrobb

Post by learnedrobb » Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:49 am

HOTD: Overkill
Virtua Cop
Op Wolf
NES/N64/GC/Wii/WiiU/SMD/SS/DC/PS1/PS2/PS3/PS4/Xbox/360/OneS/PSP/3DS/PSV
PSN: learnedrobb

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:09 am

Smraedis wrote:Yeah I agree there, but I do believe some games are a lot more unfair than others.. like in Virtua Cop 1 stage 1 scene 3, if you shoot some of the enemies too fast, then the time allowed to shoot the next enemy drops to about 2 frames of the enemy being on the screen.
joefish wrote:I've seen a 2-player arcade cockpit/moving seat game like Let's Go Jungle or Lost World that had a minecart section. What was that one? They're all actually quite good ones from SEGA.
Sounds like the Cave stage on DeadStorm Pirates.
Some of the bosses on House of the dead can be cheap gits. the last one defiantly is
Heck even the last stage is cheap

TheDude18

Post by TheDude18 » Sun Jun 26, 2011 2:01 pm

Here's my top 3 -

Space Gun
Op Wolf
Ghost Squad

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sun Jun 26, 2011 2:30 pm

DPrinny wrote:Im still tempted to put on Mad Dog Mageree on the 3DO to annoy people
I think the gun itself would annoy people more. The only 3DO lightgun I know of was the American Laser Games one that I owned and it was literaly unusable. It was that bad.

I'm not a big fan of Lethal Enforcers either. It's okay but a bit too tough in places (especially the second game) and the bosses are all the same (shoot their bombs/rockets/thrown objects down while trying to shoot them). I have the double pack on NTSC-J PS1 and played it with the Hyper Blaster lightgun.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sun Jun 26, 2011 2:37 pm

Megamixer wrote:
DPrinny wrote:Im still tempted to put on Mad Dog Mageree on the 3DO to annoy people
I think the gun itself would annoy people more. The only 3DO lightgun I know of was the American Laser Games one that I owned and it was literaly unusable. It was that bad.

I'm not a big fan of Lethal Enforcers either. It's okay but a bit too tough in places (especially the second game) and the bosses are all the same (shoot their bombs/rockets/thrown objects down while trying to shoot them). I have the double pack on NTSC-J PS1 and played it with the Hyper Blaster lightgun.
save time.

Get it on the Wii

thl

Post by thl » Sun Jun 26, 2011 4:01 pm

Operation Wolf is probably my favourite when it comes to the Master System conversion. Still it doesn't beat the arcade cab that has the uzi attach to it. The Virtua Cop series is really impressive too, especially when playing through those stages in two player mode.
Rescue Mission is another one that springs in mind, in which you have to protect the medic from invading army.