Official Feedback Issue 91

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

jdanddiet

Re: Official Feedback Issue 91

Post by jdanddiet » Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:32 pm

ipmarks wrote:Have now read most of the magazine and can honestly say it has really been one of mixed feelings...
Loved the Spectrum game article, the Untouchables one, Fairlight, the 3DO sequel one, and the Smash TV article...
Not really interested in the Treasure stuff, but that's my choice and problem, quite a good article though but never been a Treasure fan. North and South I've never heard of and it doesn't look like a game I'd be interested in... again my problem.

As to the Sonic article, it started well, but faded by the end. Too much emphasis on modern Sonic in my opinion... all Sonic since the Dreamcast has been pretty poor and at best a pale imitation of his Mega Drive roots. 8 pages was a bit excessive, particularly as there wasn't much variety in the article... would have liked to have seen more on cancelled Sonic projects of the past.

Unconverted was a bit dull this month, but Minority Report has fast become one of the best features of the magazine. Quite enjoyed Iain Lee's look at cassette tapes this month, and actually felt this could have been a longer article... the other columist chap, well he's still a bit meh in my opinion.

I'd put the magazine on a par with last months, mainly because only about half of it reflect my style of gaming. Still a great read though, so thank you to all concerned.
Will now look forward to next months...
hmm pretty much sums up my feelings although I think I enjoyed the treasure feature more than you.
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

neil007evans

Post by neil007evans » Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:58 pm

I gotta say, i really enjoyed most of this months magazine. Love back to the 80's-90's. As an arcade / Arcade machine lover I would love to see a feature on Arcade locations from late 80's through 90's. As a kid skipping school to play Chase HQ, TMNT, Golden Axe, 1942, Double Dragon etc etc etc... I was lucky enough to live in Bournemouth where there were a fair few Arcade's to visit, Sega Park, the Pier etc.. I would love to see a feature on games played, any old photo's on the UK's Arcade scene back then.

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:40 pm

^^

Have to agree maybe if they done a feature like they did in Games Tm issue 26 the fall of the arcade's from the 80/90's to now.. I even got a really old picture of myself playing Dragon Ninja in that issue of Games TM.. Funnily in that picture row of jamma somebody playiny all of them..

Old photo's of the arcade scene would be awesome
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

themightymartin

Post by themightymartin » Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:35 pm

Can't wait to hear what Mr. Lightbourne makes of you dedicating 12 pages to Sonic the Hedgehog (fantastic articles btw), but mayb he'll be sated by the brilliant section on unreleased Speccy games. You can really tell that a lot of hard work has gone into this issue.
Xbox Live\Steam: themightymartin
3DS Friend Code: 5000-3656-8384
Zazzle Store: YonDer Designs

Kai

Post by Kai » Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:32 am

Great cover! And you made me a present with the making of "North&South"! :-D
Still don't get the Zelda love, though. 98% for the remake? :shock:

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:47 am

Kai wrote: Still don't get the Zelda love, though. 98% for the remake? :shock:
Well it's a 10/10 game no matter what. Nothing has come close to matching it in the 13 years since it was released. It's been massively overhauled and has excellent 3D. So yeah 98% is spot on as far as my opinion is concerned. :)

Garry

Post by Garry » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:55 am

The sonic cover does stand out among all the other games mags on the shelf this month, not a memorable issue between the lot of them.
From the Archives: Treasure was a great read, and I also liked the piece on Smash TV, great game.
After the Spectrum Games that Time Forgot (well done btw) I would also like to say that I would like this done for the (far superior) C64!
98% for Zelda really??? and 6 pages of New game reviews is 3 too many in my book.
But the most enjoyable, surprising, delightful part of the mag this month was the End Game with Hammerin Harry, I played this years ago in the arcade and never came anywhere near finishing it, some great memories.

Stoy

Post by Stoy » Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:31 pm

I really enjoyed the 3D0 M2 article. I worked on 'Power Crystal' at Perceptions, and still have some of the original dev graphics from the game somewhere - I'd like to contribute them to a decent M2 tribute site if anyone knows a good one!?

Cheers.

P.S. Hi Darran, I emailed you regarding a possible magazine contribution to your 'darran.jones@imagine-publishing.co.uk' id, but I'm not sure if you use this address? Thanks.

forestville

Post by forestville » Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:27 pm

cool issue, liked the 20 years of sonic and the speccy unreleased games features
Press play on tape

Havantgottaclue

Post by Havantgottaclue » Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:23 am

I expect this has had its own thread at some point, but I'll raise it again. Percentage scores in RG - is this the best way to score them? I get the feeling that it's used as a homage to the older magazines like Zzap! and Crash - I'm sure they did it just to make the process look a bit more scientific or logical. As a reader of gamesTM and regular visitor to Eurogamer I may be a bit biased in thinking that a marks-out-of-10 scheme would be better (I also read 360 magazine, but I think a 5-star system would be a step too far for RG). It doesn't completely eliminate public outcry about scores (EG, for example, are criticized by a number of posters for using a score of 8 too often) but at least then you have an acceptance that the maximum score of 10 is usable, because in my view it tends to represent a whole-hearted, unreserved recommendation, whereas 100% might be said to suggest that the game is "perfect", which is a pretty high target to attain. Obviously in the context of this issue, you could have awarded the new Zelda game a 10 because you unreservedly recommend it, and it would be difficult to argue with that. A score of 98% attracts more attention because in my eyes it carries a connotation of being 2% away from perfection - therefore people feel the need to make a fuss about it (even though it's only 4% above the current Metascore).
Soon you will have forgotten all things: soon all things will have forgotten you. (Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, Book 7)

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:50 am

We use the percentage score system as a homage to Crash. I'm aware that some people assume 100% means perfection and may change the system in the future. What's interesting is that if we gave Zelda 10, most people wouldn't bat an eyelid, but there's a certain stigma attached to a percentile score. But I totally understand what you're saying Havantgottaclue

Who knows, maybe we'll drop scores completely...

Ultimately though it's a decision I'll make regardless of what people on the forum feel. After all, look at what happened with iOS game coverage.

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:33 am

I like the percentage scoring. It's more fun.

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:38 am

This is the first issue I've properly enjoyed in a LONG time, thanks a lot :D

Think ever since that Mario issue I've been a bit... wounded? There's been the occassional article I've liked but've mostly been buying it because I've got all of them from issue 19, and it'd be silly to stop now. But this issue, loved it!

Really nice cover that one. There's no "new" information in the big long Sonic article, but it's always nice to read about those games (just wish all you journalist types would stop implying that Sonic Spinball is universally hated - it scored and sold well at the time, and it's still a great game). The Treasure thing was good too (but again, stop implying everyone hates the McDonald's game!), and the Smash TV thing, and the Matsushita M2 thing (console obscura's my new favourite section), and the lost Spectrum games bit... Yes, all good.

Review scores don't bother me - I realised a long time ago that reviews are the opinion of one person. I already know I won't enjoy the likes of Ocarina of Time 3D and Super Mario Galaxy 2, so a 100% score isn't going to make me lean over. Likewise a 50% score for Splatterhouse isn't going to stop me from playing it, so go ahead and score the games whatever you want.
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:02 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:We use the percentage score system as a homage to Crash. I'm aware that some people assume 100% means perfection and may change the system in the future. What's interesting is that if we gave Zelda 10, most people wouldn't bat an eyelid, but there's a certain stigma attached to a percentile score. But I totally understand what you're saying Havantgottaclue

Who knows, maybe we'll drop scores completely...

Ultimately though it's a decision I'll make regardless of what people on the forum feel. After all, look at what happened with iOS game coverage.
I'd personally love to see the scores dropped.You've main reviewers text and a 2nd opinion, between those 2 'you' know if games worth getting, to your tastes etc.What need for a number? It only seems to start 'I cannot believe you gave this blah blah blah, when it deserves....and such n such got.....

How many people skip review text and just look at number on the bottom of review i wonder?

Crunchy

Post by Crunchy » Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:56 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
Kai wrote: Still don't get the Zelda love, though. 98% for the remake? :shock:
Well it's a 10/10 game no matter what. Nothing has come close to matching it in the 13 years since it was released.
If you think this then why even bother knocking off the two percentage points?

Also, if you think that nothing has come close to matching it you really shouldn't be reviewing it. Not all readers of your magazine are Nintendo fanboys who want to wallow in your personal bias and nostalgia. Some readers are actually new to retro gaming and are looking for a credible review of a product that's entirely fresh to them. A review is supposed to be an aid to buying, not a chance to indulge your enthusiasm for a certain game.