The Grand National

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

TwoHeadedBoy

The Grand National

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:10 pm

Anyone do a bet on the horses at Aintree today? Not sure what it's like in the rest of the country, but on Merseyside it's an annual tradition to choose a few horses, even for those who'd never go near a bookies any other day of the year - hence the "helpers" that the betting shops employ on such days.

Thought I was onto a winner this year, with Santa's Son in first place for most of the race (at 100 to 1!) until he was pulled up at the 27th fence. My other horse, BecauseIcouldn'tsee, fell at the second fence. Still, the sun was out, spent the day in the garden with the telly on indoors. All fun enough really.
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

markopoloman

Re: The Grand National

Post by markopoloman » Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:49 pm

Did a sweepstake at the club...........

and my horse won :shock:

£40 for £1 seems good to me :D
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:09 pm

Congratulations :D

There was a group of people who did a tri-bet or something (predicting the first, second and third horses), and £1 got them around £1900. Would've been nice.
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

The Mask Seller

Post by The Mask Seller » Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:33 pm

A young girl told me today that she'd won the National, I was surprised she was staggering around Bartley Green swigging out of a can of Carling as opposed to lording it up in the winner's enclosure.
"Only the guilty have anything to fear. And the innocent, if we're having a slow day."

sscott

Post by sscott » Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:02 am

My horse 'Character building' finished 15th, I had a pound each way on that lazy horse! :x
Still, it did finish.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:50 am

The last time I put a bet on the National the horse fell badly and needed to be put down.

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:01 am

Yeah, two of them had to be put down yesterday. For the first time ever it seems they were killed instantly, as on the second lap they had to follow a diversion and you could see the dead horse on the other side of the avoided fence.

Frank Chickens

Post by Frank Chickens » Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:12 am

Won £200 on the national, had a £10 each way bet on Sarah Jessica Parker.
"A cynic is what an optimist calls a realist"

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:15 am

Bet £1 each on five Horses both ways and three of them came in 1st - 4th place.. Not sure how much i won till my neighbor comes over after, also did a random one in work'
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

The_Pope

Post by The_Pope » Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:02 am

I'd never watched it before but was really rather repulsed - something like 3 fallers in 4 fences and I think two dead horses by the end of it all!?! :evil:

djcarlos

Post by djcarlos » Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:41 am

I got second place in the work sweepstake....fiver!

thingonaspring

Post by thingonaspring » Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:11 am

sscott wrote:My horse 'Character building' finished 15th, I had a pound each way on that lazy horse! :x
Still, it did finish.
that's who i got on my office sweepstake. ho hum.

lanky316

Post by lanky316 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:40 am

Backed Ballabriggs in about September at 33/1 so ended up being a nice little earner this year! The second casualty (Dooner Gate?) was particularly nasty as it was landed on by the chasing pack so there's nothing anyone could do about that, the second worst accident over the last couple of months I've seen at racing. It's something that's hard to avoid with that many runners and such glorious weather. Great for us but it left the ground harder than you'd like, and also meant they were travelling faster.

They try and water the track so that in the event of a faller it's a softer landing but in that heat it dries out. Hopefully they can come up with a sprinkler system of some sort that can refresh between races, won't stop external heat but at least it'd get some protection. Next step would be a smaller field but when you consider the number of races, every day over the course of a year chances are that there will be some accidents. Worst thing is with the hype and attention on the National it's probably the worst one to have any think like that happen as people get a false perspective on what the sports really like. :(

boggyb68

Post by boggyb68 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:23 am

My mum read through the Riders in the paper about an hour to go.. said I like the name Ballabriggs as it sounds similar to a town in Ireland near where she is from.. I said well go and back it then...

An hour or so later I hear shouting from the dining room.. the bloody thing only went and won.. did she back it.. whatta you think??!!?!?! :(

B.
Pinkle Squirmy Blip Blip Blip

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:07 am

The_Pope wrote:I'd never watched it before but was really rather repulsed - something like 3 fallers in 4 fences and I think two dead horses by the end of it all!?! :evil:
I know thats the reason i wont watch it. The thing is if all the jumps were lower people would still bet millions, they bet tons on the National as each way are places 1-5 , not because the jumps are so high and every year a few horses get shot and killed.

Saying that my mates dad gave me a 'great' tip, had £50 each way on it, could have won 950 quid but just missed out. Oh well win some lose some (still gutted though;)