Retro gaming: Is the main drive nostalgia?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

thompson9980

Re: Retro gaming: Is the main drive nostalgia?

Post by thompson9980 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:10 pm

Its mainly nostalgia for me, which is why I much prefer using original hardware over emulation.

And this for sure...
joefish wrote:Sometimes I just want a game that I can pick up and play and blast things for five or ten minutes - not have to set aside around four or five hours to remember the control layout, where I got to last time, and make any decent progress such that it's worth saving again. Modern games just don't cut it.
STUFF WANTED:
Sega 32X
Sega Megadrive, Japanese, mark 1
Sega Megadrive II

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:32 pm

If you compare retro gaming to classic films, when you watch Superman, 2001, Back to the Future or Jurassic Park, no-one would think that's driven purely by nostalgia - a good film is a good film, it doesn't matter how old it is.

Then again, some people maintain Fritz Lang's Metropolis is a good film. Silent movies may be entertaining, but at that point technology (or lack of it) kinda gets in the way. I would say people who watch Charlie Chaplin are doing it for pure nostalgia. But maybe I'm wrong.

William S

Post by William S » Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:42 pm

I guess it''s 50/50 for me.
It's certainly nostalgia when I want to play a game I thought was crap even back then! :lol:
On the other hand I keep discovering games I've never heard of, that look fun and that I would like to play.
For me, I think it's mainly because I prefer the cartoonish graphics of the 8-bit and 16-bit era.
Games from that era just have this simple, warm, charming atmosphere about them.
Since I also feel that atmosphere in games I've never played before, and don't have any emotional attachment to,
it can't purely be nostalgia.
ImageImageImage

o.pwuaioc

Post by o.pwuaioc » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:58 pm

theantmeister wrote:I would say people who watch Charlie Chaplin are doing it for pure nostalgia. But maybe I'm wrong.
Maybe Charlie Chaplin, but they are quite hilarious. And there are a good number of silent films that are masterpieces, like Der letzte Mann, Das Kabinett des Doktor Caligari, and Nosferatu.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:44 pm

There's no speech in the first half of Wall-E (there's not much of note in the second half either), but its still quite gripping.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

hydr0x

Post by hydr0x » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:20 pm

o.pwuaioc wrote:
theantmeister wrote:I would say people who watch Charlie Chaplin are doing it for pure nostalgia. But maybe I'm wrong.
Maybe Charlie Chaplin, but they are quite hilarious. And there are a good number of silent films that are masterpieces, like Der letzte Mann, Das Kabinett des Doktor Caligari, and Nosferatu.
Charlie Chaplin out of nostalgia? Come on, hardly anyone is even that old. No, I'm 28 years old and I enjoy silent films. Nosferatu I surprisingly don't rate that highly (didn't help I was tired like hell when I first watched it) but Der letzte Mann is a masterpiece, as is Caligari. Yeah, I know, Nosferatu is one too but something about it eludes me. Out of the ones I've seen Sunrise gets my vote for favorite but I'm always in for a Keaton/LLoyd/Chaplin/Arbuckle/you name it comedy too :) Still can't believe my eyes when it comes to some of the stunts they pulled off in those.

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:28 pm

But you guys can see how from the outside, silent films appear to only hold retro appeal? I guess some people probably view retro games in the same way.

Ferret Oxide

Post by Ferret Oxide » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:25 pm

But the visual jokes in a silent movie like 'The General' are just as good as visual gags we see in most modern day comedies. Perhaps they are niche because people expect them to be?

webding

Post by webding » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:15 pm

I was thinking about this a few weeks ago. I reckon it's the equivalent of a midlife crisis, and I want to pretend I'm 10 again. Without the shellsuits.

OK, maybe not that far. But it certainly is nostalia that's the main driver for me. In fact, if I'm honest, I actually enjoy reading and reminiscing more than I do firing up an emulator or digging out an old micro. Some memories I don't want to spoil.

sscott

Post by sscott » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:19 pm

webding wrote:I was thinking about this a few weeks ago. I reckon it's the equivalent of a midlife crisis.
I've had a ten year midlife crisis then. Looking forward to the 'big one' when I hit 40 I suppose.

Frank Chickens

Post by Frank Chickens » Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:43 pm

Nostalgia is all well and good but when I first started playing emulators in the 90s it was 'ooh, haven't played this game in years!' and realised that some games don't age well at all. A lot of the Atari VCS games spring to mind, I only played a handful of them now and it's the same on other formats.

The thing that keeps me coming back time after time is the gameplay. Whether it be a quick ten minute blast on MAME or something longer on the C64 and Amiga emulator. We all had our favourites growing up and remember the schoolground battles of which format is best and the like and to relive on something like this on forums is great, but the games have to be enjoyable in the first place in order for this to happen.
"A cynic is what an optimist calls a realist"