Retro gaming: Is the main drive nostalgia?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

SJ_Sathanas

Re: Retro gaming: Is the main drive nostalgia?

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:13 pm

Retro gaming: Is the main drive nostalgia?
Yes. 100%.

hipgnosis

Post by hipgnosis » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:20 pm

Yes for me it is definitely nostalgia. One major reason however is the curiosity to see how games have evolved throughout the years. The retro games I play often have outdated mechanics and stupid game design choices. This is one of the reasons why the games are so charming. Especially in the PS1 era, it is interesting to evaluate the games based on todays standards.

RetroMartin

Post by RetroMartin » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:51 pm

I'm a mid 80's fella, I just like to play any game that is good, no matter when it was made.

I play lots of old games cos I tended to play what was current at the time, and if I enjoy something you don't just "stop liking it" cos you get older? right?

PSN username - MartinPhantom

GameOverYeah

Post by GameOverYeah » Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:27 pm

It despends, I have always been into retro even without knowing it as a kid. I was born in 1984, but my first console was the Atari 2600. My uncle used to bring it round to play it and I just became addicted to it, I had no concept that it wasn't the latest thing or not and I kinda worked up from there (Commodore 64 - Amiga etc). So I don't always follow what I remember but stuff that I see on the internet that looks cool. Though to be honest, I generally buy games that I have good memories of but there are alot of games I get because they come highly recommended or they are a classics I missed at the time.

SexyWayne

Post by SexyWayne » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:51 pm

I'm pretty much the same as C=Style I've never stopped playing older games to be able to get nostalgic over them, a good game is a good game no matter the age...

I have the odd occassion where I may be browsing through MAME or whatever and come across a game I'd forgotten all about and have a few flashbacks about the time and place etc... but that's about as far as the nostalgia goes with me..

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:05 am

Less so nostalgia, more so price point! :lol: :mrgreen:
As I've said, my first experience was on a VideoPac, as a 6-year-old in 1988 I didn't know it was old hat, I was just happy you could play games on your telly!

Nemesis

Post by Nemesis » Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:38 am

SexyWayne wrote:I'm pretty much the same as C=Style I've never stopped playing older games to be able to get nostalgic over them, a good game is a good game no matter the age...

I have the odd occassion where I may be browsing through MAME or whatever and come across a game I'd forgotten all about and have a few flashbacks about the time and place etc... but that's about as far as the nostalgia goes with me..
Agreed! I still play Jet Pac or Lotus Turbo Challenge not for the memories they invoke but just because they play so well. Ditto for the SF2 series. No matter how good graphics get & technology improves, gameplay doesn't age to the same extent. Nostalgia only applies to games I reminisce about but would rarely, if ever, return.
Oh and if you want to do little social experiments on our forum don't post about them on your own you plum - Darren@Retro Gamer

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:08 pm

It's only nostalgia when it's a crap game that you know is going to be crap before you boot it up because you played it years ago and it was crap even back then and you just want to remind yourself of how bad it is. Like when me and my mate played through Bad Dudes vs Dragonninja again a few weeks ago on MAME and spent the whole time laughing about how we used to actually pay to play it.

Other than that, good gameplay doesn't age and nostalgia doesn't enter into it.
Sig pic temporarily removed...The Magnificent 7 will ride again 8)
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

mrchuck999

Post by mrchuck999 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:22 pm

While I'm sure nostalgia is apart of it, I feel strongly that gaming back in the 90's was a very special time. Games were unique. There were truly creative yet very small companies that could be successful. You did not have to be a billion dollar company to produce successful games. Today it seems like games miss the point and go to the extreme graphics and realism as a selling point yet fail at game-play and fun. In modern day we see a massive resurgence and interest in retro games and its for good reason. A lot of games from the 16-bit era were truly inspired works. Anyone who played Phantasy Star 2 or Earthworm Jim know what I mean. Gamers who enjoy arcade games refer to the classics popular in th e16-bit era.
The Neo Geo 's long lived popularity since 1990 continues even today and is a testament to the significance of that era in gaming.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:18 pm

I suppose its a small part but I just prefer retro gaming for so many reasons. I prefer the graphic style, chip music, controllers and style of games. I don't own any machine newer than a Saturn and never intend to either.

joefish

Post by joefish » Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:23 pm

Sometimes I just want a game that I can pick up and play and blast things for five or ten minutes - not have to set aside around four or five hours to remember the control layout, where I got to last time, and make any decent progress such that it's worth saving again. Modern games just don't cut it. Even the arcade games of today are like coin-operated conveyor belts of precisely measured play. They might as well be like those SEGA Mega-Techs where you pay by the minute. A lot of console download stuff is OK, but most big releases you see advertised just look so tedious.

Ferret Oxide

Post by Ferret Oxide » Sat Apr 02, 2011 6:16 pm

DigitalDuck wrote:I don't think it's anything to do with nostalgia - quite a lot of retro games I like now I never played until recently (Enduro Racer, for example). When people say "it was good then but it isn't good now", I think it's utter rubbish - it's the same game now as it was then, so if it's bad now, it was bad then. It might've looked great, or sounded impressive, but I'm willing to bet that it played badly.

Gameplay doesn't age with time, and that's the most important part of a game. Hence the name. Games like Space Harrier, OutRun, and Gauntlet aren't still well-known today because of nostalgia, it's because they're genuinely fun games. Unfortunately, most modern games tend to focus more on realism and immersion, and forget that the point of a game is to have fun. The modern games that focus on fun, such as Geometry Wars and 'Splosion Man, are probably going to be heralded in the future.
This!

I was born in '81 and got a Spectrum sometime around '88. Like C=Style and SexyWayne, I never really stopped playing retro. When I upgraded to an Amiga, I still played a few spectrum games (mainly Chaos). Even when I got a PS2, I spent a lot of time with my flatmate playing Bubble Bobble from the PS1 collection. Why? Because those games have only aged in the way they look and sound. They play in exctly the same way now as they did upon release. Yes, we may be accustomed to far greater realism and more in-depth gameplay in current gen releases, but that doesn't change how the old games play, just what we expect of new games.

The success of games like Geometry Wars and Angry Birds shows that there is still a market for simple-but-fun games. A very big market, in fact. Retro games are just one way of satisfying that market's needs.

That said, a game that was crap back in the '80s is still crap today, obviously.

GarryG

Post by GarryG » Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:42 am

kiwimike wrote:Jeez you kids are making me feel old! :lol:
Born in '68, but I'm sure there's more than just me as an older fart here surely?!
Hello kiwimike, I was born in October 68, obviously a good year ;) Are you an older fart than me then?

To answer the question, I don't think it's mainly nostalga with me, I more like exploring the other games and consoles, geting the things I missed or couldn't aford at the time. I enjoy looking at all the Jap stuf that never made it here, good because I'm a bit of a SHMUP fan-boy (or is that fan-oldfart) at heart ;)

I do still play and like modern consoles, but on-line is too full of kids nowadays... :o o'god... I am turning into my dad! :mrgreen:
Why not visit my ramblings at Garry's Gaming Blog

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:45 pm

For me it isn't nostalgia. The first home console I every played on was the Mega Drive but only once or twice and it was the same game every time (Sonic). My first real exposure to gaming was the PS1 but today, I can happily play older stuff such as arcade stuff on MAME, 16-bit and even crappy FMV 3DO games.

For me, these are just good games. Playing something like Violent Storm for the first time 20 years or so after it was released for example and enjoying it immensely was nothing to do with nostalgia. I never played it back in the day, didn't grow up with games of that era and so on.

I believe that there are many games only held high in regard because of nostalgia but also plenty that are just good games no matter when you first played them.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Fred83

Post by Fred83 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:52 pm

MediaCult wrote:I've been wondering about this. Do older games appeal to us out of nostalgia or is there really something about them?
Think its both.Machines weren't as powerful as now.So where made do with the cut down ports some which had their own unique take on the game.And of course whatever was the popular game to have for system at the time.
Last edited by Fred83 on Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.