eBay advice please

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Bub&Bob

eBay advice please

Post by Bub&Bob » Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:06 pm

Don't eBay much but I just wanted some thoughts on this scenario:

So, im selling C64 games and one person buys 8 games. If they had all sold to different people the postage would have been £16 (£2 per cassette). So, I offer a combined postage of £11 and the guy comes back and says that he bought 7 similar games recently and only paid £3.50.

Now, I know that £16 might sound high but if you bid then surely you are agreeing to pay the postage cost. My postage was £2 for single cassettes, £3 for double sized and £4 for large cardboard boxes which I think is ok.

So, what would you do in this situation? - I have offered £6 postage now but I need to think about what to do for future sales.
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

clarance

Re: eBay advice please

Post by clarance » Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:17 pm

Strictly speaking, you are well within your rights to charge £16 for the postage - I take it that the guy didn't ask before the auction ended about a postage discount?

However, I would have offered a discount anyway - £11 may be a bit steep, but fair enough, and £6 is more than fair, so definitely stick with that - you are under no obligation to offer any discount unless you specified one in your listing.
Death may be your Santa Claus.

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:33 pm

DON'T TELL HIM YOU SUPPORT ARSENAL IT WILL ONLY MAKE THINGS WORSE.
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:38 pm

I agree. He bid knowing the full postage cost, any discount is a courtesy on your part. Your postage costs should reflect the actual postage, don't discount it so far that he ends up paying less. If he's not happy, you can always cancel the sale.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

c0nfu53d

Post by c0nfu53d » Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:41 pm

ebay's policy is that you should only charge a reasonable amount for postage and packing. I highly doubt it cost you £11 to post them out. £6 is fair. On a personal note, I only charge what the post office charges me and it there is a difference of more than £1 I always part refund the buyer.

ReplayRetro

Post by ReplayRetro » Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:36 pm

Whenever i bid on multiple items from one seller i always assume the highest postage cost (e.g. the full cost of each item seperately) even if a discount is mentioned (unless of course that discount is specifically listed by price per games etc) thus whatever discount i get is a bonus, if the buyer isnt happy that's his fault, he could easily have emailed you for a rough idea about combined pricing but chose not to
Visit www.youtube.com/replayretro . why? well erm, cos it would be awfully friendly of you to take a look i guess, you don't have to though, nobody will make you *sob sob*

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:52 pm

I'm afraid I agree with Confused... Besides you only get Negative feedback that you robbed them blind on postage.. Besides Poundland does 7 Jiffy still ake a profit , as Poundland does 7 jiffy bags for £1

I was going to bid on the Commodore 64 Dancing Monster somebody was listing on ebay but the £2 postage put me.. It cost what 60p to send 1st class large letter.. Just my opinion
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:18 pm

Shinobi wrote:I'm afraid I agree with Confused... Besides you only get Negative feedback that you robbed them blind on postage.. Besides Poundland does 7 Jiffy still ake a profit , as Poundland does 7 jiffy bags for £1

I was going to bid on the Commodore 64 Dancing Monster somebody was listing on ebay but the £2 postage put me.. It cost what 60p to send 1st class large letter.. Just my opinion
But then shouldn't this person have done the same as you and not bid, it's not as if Bub&Bob stuck this postage charge on afterwards.
Splink!

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:31 pm

jdanddiet wrote:DON'T TELL HIM YOU SUPPORT ARSENAL IT WILL ONLY MAKE THINGS WORSE.
I did but he supports Stratford Hotspur and so didn't mind :lol:
c0nfu53d wrote:ebay's policy is that....
They let me charge up to a certain amount and I didn't exceed that so im well within policy
ReplayRetro wrote:Whenever i bid on multiple items from one seller i always assume the highest postage cost (e.g. the full cost of each item seperately) even if a discount is mentioned (unless of course that discount is specifically listed by price per games etc) thus whatever discount i get is a bonus, if the buyer isnt happy that's his fault, he could easily have emailed you for a rough idea about combined pricing but chose not to
Thats how I feel
Shinobi wrote:I'Besides you only get Negative feedback that you robbed them blind on postage
Why should I get neg feedback - I wasn't "robbing" anyone. My postage rates are clear for all to see, if its too much then people shouldn't bid.
Shinobi wrote:I was going to bid on the Commodore 64 Dancing Monster somebody was listing on ebay but the £2 postage put me.. It cost what 60p to send 1st class large letter.. Just my opinion
Which proves my point as I suspect that somebody was me - you thought £2 was too much, which is fair enough and so you didn't bid.

Cheers everyone, some useful views which I will keep in mind next time.
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:00 pm

I realise buying jiffy bag from the Post Office would knock the price up a bit.. They reason your auction seemed expensive was a lot of people where charging 95p or free postage say on a £1.95 game.. If somebody charged me that much, I would refuse to pay, but that is just me..
Last edited by Shinobi on Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

James A

Post by James A » Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:42 pm

I always put down on my auctions that ill combine shipping for multiple item wins. If they want a specific price there and then ill sort it out for them if not ill wait till the auctions over and see what they've won then send them a price.

£11 is pretty excesive. Im selling a NES with games and im only charging £10 for postage for it.

James A

I always put down on my auctions that ill combine shipping for multiple item wins. If they want a specific price there and then ill sort it out for them if not ill wait till the auctions over and see what they've won then send them a price.

£11 is pretty excesive. Im selling a NES with games and im only charging £10 for postage for it.

James A

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:16 pm

Are you trying to say £11 is excessive?
:lol: :wink:

James A

Post by James A » Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:30 am

Bub&Bob wrote:Are you trying to say £11 is excessive?
:lol: :wink:
A little but obviously my computer thought it was :D Dunno why thats posted three times :?