What Comics did you read as a kid?

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Morkin

Re: What Comics did you read as a kid?

Post by Morkin » Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:08 am

Yep. It's weird as I really couldn't get into the new style of Dan, but now I'm absolutely loving it. In fact I'm enjoying every strip. Great stuff. I forgot to mention that my Beano 2011 Annual that I bought in Sainsburys came with a copy of the first ever issue of The Beano, which was a nice little bonus, although I've got an idea they did the same thing last year as well.

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:47 pm

Nice bonus indeed - fascimile, or inside the book?

Went into WHSmith today looking for the Dandy Beano thing, but it wasn't there - just got it off Amazon for £1.89, so hey-ho! M&S didn't have those other books, nor had they even HEARD of them, so the hunt's on for those it seems.
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

Morkin

Post by Morkin » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:17 am

Facsimile on quite thick paper. :)

The M&S books were listed on their site just before Christmas but there's no sign of them now. It could be that they'll appear again this Christmas.

I've just spotted this series of books on Ebay so that's more for the wants list!

Image Image

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:26 pm

I saw that Topper book, somewhere on my travels. Not really that "mad for it", as I only find Topper stories from the 1990s to be enjoyable. As for the other one... Those two policemen are from the Topper aren't they? Didn't know they had their own series? Or were they REALLY popular enough to justify a whole book?
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:51 pm

Didn't they combine the Beezer and Topper 20-ish years ago? I definitely remember buying it, it was usually that or Buster.

deadpan666

Post by deadpan666 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:43 pm

Liamh1982 wrote:Didn't they combine the Beezer and Topper 20-ish years ago? I definitely remember buying it, it was usually that or Buster.
You'll like what I bought myself for Christmas then....

I also got an issue of the Topper too! And yeah, it did merge with the Beezer in September 1990.... :)
Cinema Of Stuff Presents - The Undying Monster! http://tinyurl.com/nekrjdx

Let's go, Mr. Driver!

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:35 am

Ooh, a Sparky book! Nice.
Ever read any Wham! books? Now they're funny stuff.

That most beautiful of forum members, Mr. the_hawk, gave me a massive bag full of Buster comics last year (as well as the near-complete run of Oink), having a chuckle making my way through them.

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:18 pm

TwoHeadedBoy wrote:Ooh, a Sparky book! Nice.

That most beautiful of forum members, Mr. the_hawk, gave me a massive bag full of Buster comics last year (as well as the near-complete run of Oink), having a chuckle making my way through them.
Wasn't 'Oink kind of a toned down Viz....With that Alien "Love me love my Liver"
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

Xtincthed

Post by Xtincthed » Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:07 am

I wasn't really a comic reader because there was no place in my area where i could get them :(
I only had a few loose issues of Transformers and M.A.S.K.

we did have Suske & Wiske, Asterix etc, which are technically comic books, not comics.. but i did read the hell out of those
Dr. Retro's Video Game Channel
Website - Youtube - Facebook - Twitter
Playstation Collecting Community

deadpan666

Post by deadpan666 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:01 am

TwoHeadedBoy wrote:Ooh, a Sparky book! Nice.

Don't think I've ever read any Wham! books......I do have an almost complete collection of Oink! though...only need about 4 issues for the whole set! :)

@Shinobi......It's a bit like a toned-down Viz, but also so much more! And the alien was Burp...

You can read some of his strips here..http://www.jbanx.com/strips/burp/index.html....at the author's site. You can find some of his other stuff there too, including Mr. Bignose....

Let's go, Mr. Driver!

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:34 pm

Aha! Turns out there were 68 issues of Oink! before it merged with Buster - I have issues 1-50, and two of the annuals, but not the flexi-disc. Reasonably near-complete then.

deadpan666

Post by deadpan666 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:55 pm

TwoHeadedBoy wrote:Aha! Turns out there were 68 issues of Oink! before it merged with Buster - I have issues 1-50, and two of the annuals, but not the flexi-disc. Reasonably near-complete then.
Oh, I've got the disc! And remember for a proper full collection you need the Summer specials, the Free Preview issue 0 which came with some other comics, and the Free computer game issue that came with an issue of Crash! :mrgreen:

Let's go, Mr. Driver!

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:18 am

Bugger, miles off then :lol:

May as well keep it easy and go for a complete Beano collection.

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:46 am

Not really meant for kids, but I was about 12 or 13, what about Zit? Lambrusco the alcoholic sheep, Sam 'n Ella, Middle-Aged Melvin, Private censored... great characters and slicker-looking than Viz.

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:47 am

Oh yeah, the Viz knock-offs! I got Fizz once, featuring Jonathan Woss (Who Gives A Toss?), Craterface and Freddy Fly. Lots of "bloody hell"s because it was "The Comic For Teenagers", apparantly.