The Not RIP Thread

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

the_hawk

The Not RIP Thread

Post by the_hawk » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:07 am

OK I don't quite know how this'll work, but I was listening to some music last night & it struck me that the vast majority of stuff I like is from people who have shuffled lose this mortal coil. So I thought it would be nice to celebrate some great people while they are still with us, a kind of a "living legends" thread.

Aerosmith - OK, they've been pretty sh-t since that gawdawful Armageddon song. But their 70's stuff like Sweet Emotion & Dream on will always be fantastic. The fact that they've taken the amount of drink & drugs and survived not to mention the amount of bust ups they've had & then to come back with Permanent Vacation & then all those videos with Alicia Silverstone in them. More power to them.

Jack Nicholson - The man is 73 & still chasing women young enough to me MY daughter & getting them too! The greatest living actor to have played the joker in a Batman film.

Tom Petty - Genius, I've always liked his stuff, but I'm only realising just how good his back catalogue is now.

Prince - I always thought he was better than Jacko & he's actually made some decent albums in the last 20 years (Musicology & The Gold Experience for example) & the bonus is he's still alive.

Bill Nighy - Fine fine actor. Seeing him as Slartibartfast in the ropey HGTTG film made me realise the Beeb have REALLY missed out on not having him a Dr Who.

Billy Bingham - Played for Northern Ireland in the '58 then took us to two World Cups as a manager in the 80's & won a couple of British Championships to boot. He presided over the greatest 6 years in Northern Ireland's football history.

Bill Murray - The other thread about him says it all really. has appeared in some amazing films over the years.

Anyone else?
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

STranger81

Re: The Not RIP Thread

Post by STranger81 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:41 am

Billy Connolly. The greatest ever comidian thats ever drawn breath. Most comedians have to put on being funny, but he is naturally funny, which makes his routines even more genius.
Xbox gamer tag: kingboo81

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:47 am

Think you have got to put Keith Richards on there. Mainly because he is still around! The amount of drugs that guy has taken over the years, it's amazing he is still here!

I would also add Martin Scorsese and Francis Ford Coppola. They probably are the best film directors of the "movie brat" generation from the 1970s. Even though I suppose you could say in Coppola's case that of recent times their films haven't been up to standard, it is good that they are still around making films.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:51 am

Jason Orange. Yeah he might not sing (Actually nor play instruments, or write stuff and may have a dodgy voice) but hes extremely talented. Great dancer, has all the moves and can breakdance with the best of them. When youre talking about the underated 'Ringo Starr' of any group then you have to put Orange in with them. I'm surprised hes not a judge on any of these talent shows as hes that talented. Nominated at the Brits for his contribution to music, won several NME awards already and 48 Smash Hit Pollwinners Party gongs. The lads talented. Lets show some respect for the 'Orange'.

ismellicecream

Post by ismellicecream » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:16 am

Les Dennis.

pratty

Post by pratty » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:18 am

I'm not the biggest fan, but Clint Eastwood is still acting and directing at 80.

Though not that old yet, Jackie Chan deserves to be mentioned among living legends. Greatest action star of all time in my opinion, and an underated allround filmmaker in his own right, the modern day Buster Keaton.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:32 am

ismellicecream wrote:Les Dennis.
You know what's weird. In double acts, it's always the more talented/funnier one that goes first...

Dustin Gee went before Les Dennis
Morecambe went before Wise,
Ronnie Barker went before Ronnie Corbett
Peter Cook went before Dudley Moore
John Belushi went before Dan Aykroyd

If I was Paul Chuckle I'd be sh-tting myself
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

James A

Post by James A » Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:02 pm

Lemmy from Motorhead and Ozzy Ozbourne. Both of them should be dead with the ammount of booze and drugs they've done.

Fishsta

Post by Fishsta » Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:34 pm

STranger81 wrote:Billy Connolly. The greatest ever comidian thats ever drawn breath. Most comedians have to put on being funny, but he is naturally funny, which makes his routines even more genius.
I can honestly say I've never, EVER found Billy Connolly funny. With the exception of the Super Gran theme tune. Speaking of not RIP and Super Gran, is Gudrun Ure still alive? She must be pushing for 90 by now!
ImageImage

djcarlos

Post by djcarlos » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:13 pm

Bobby Davro

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:27 pm

Fishsta wrote:
STranger81 wrote:Billy Connolly. The greatest ever comidian thats ever drawn breath. Most comedians have to put on being funny, but he is naturally funny, which makes his routines even more genius.
I can honestly say I've never, EVER found Billy Connolly funny.
Same here, tried watching some of his stand up stuff but nah dont like it. Must admit i totally went off him when he did that infamous Ken Bigley 'joke'. Dont get me wrong i lot of comedians i like say shocking stuff but not about a bloke whos currently being held hostage.

(But i did like Connolly in the film 'the Boondock Saints', made a great evil person)

STranger81

Post by STranger81 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:33 pm

psj3809 wrote:Jason Orange. Yeah he might not sing (Actually nor play instruments, or write stuff and may have a dodgy voice) but hes extremely talented. Great dancer, has all the moves and can breakdance with the best of them. When youre talking about the underated 'Ringo Starr' of any group then you have to put Orange in with them. I'm surprised hes not a judge on any of these talent shows as hes that talented. Nominated at the Brits for his contribution to music, won several NME awards already and 48 Smash Hit Pollwinners Party gongs. The lads talented. Lets show some respect for the 'Orange'.
Xbox gamer tag: kingboo81

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:27 pm

psj3809 wrote:Jason Orange. Yeah he might not sing (Actually nor play instruments, or write stuff and may have a dodgy voice) but hes extremely talented.
He does play guitar.

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:00 pm

BRIAN BLESSED!!!
It should be against the law to say his name quietly. Charismatic, adventurous and a fine cultivator of facial hair.

The Master

Post by The Master » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:37 pm

ME: freddy
gleeple doople zwak-zwak snafn olg mmnnnnip