Female Gamers

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

SJ_Sathanas

Re: Female Gamers

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:19 pm

Negative Creep wrote:All I can add to this subject is could someone point me in their direction? I'm sure there's someone who I can impress with the size of my, erm, games collection
I get dibs on sloppy seconds.

IronMaidenRule

Post by IronMaidenRule » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:22 pm

My missus only really likes playing Tetris and the Wii sports games.

She will also occasionally do the substitutions and pick the squad for me on Football Manager.

resident paul

Post by resident paul » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:29 pm

Mayhem wrote:My previous girlfriend was into survival horror (RE, Dead Rising, Deadly Premonition etc), RPGs, retro games, and music (Guitar Hero etc), so not your typical female gamer then :lol:
My eldest daughter(16) is into survival horror(she overtake me in playing stakes on RE :( ) & FPS, my other daughter(13) is into retro stuff + music & stuff like harvest moon etc & my wife is into pacman & simple stuff if she's in the mood!

The Angry Jock

Post by The Angry Jock » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:40 pm

Finding a squirter is easier than finding a lass who likes games (that I like).

The OH only ever plays quiz games (Buzz) and singstar, I hate those.
Retropassion reborn
sscott wrote:I fuck1n love the fuck1n Internet and all its fuckin fu(kball opinions. I fuck1n like this fuk(her, I don't fuccckin like this fuckeeer. It's not out yet, that isn't gonna gonna stop me! No sir! and so onnnnnnnnnn........

oli_lar

Post by oli_lar » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:46 pm

thevulture wrote: Friend of mine bought his missus a Wii and wii fit after (and i quote) 'she kept bangin on about it), she used it once...since then? Box and console sat on top of the cupboard.
Sounds like my girlfriend! Got her Wii Fit at end of october, can count on two hands the amount of times she has used it. In fact I brought it up over tea earlier!! To be fair, I've only played 1 out of the 5 Wii games I've got so can't talk.

On topic, I got my girlfriend a DS for xmas and she is loving it, but she is the stereotype mentioned (Mind you I've racked up 20 hours on Pokemon Pearl already too :lol: ). Pippa something or other horse game, Animal Crossing, Harvest moon etc though she has also been playing Zelda and Spyro and is a fan of the ratchet & clank games on PS2.

TwistedScrote

Post by TwistedScrote » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:07 pm

My missus is heavily into Assassins Creed, finished the first two and has just started AC Brotherhood. She's also a massive F1 fan so thats a nice bonus. Well that and a cracking rack.

:D

Freestyler

Post by Freestyler » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:11 pm

PacSuit wrote:In Male gamers minds, the average female game will only buy games, that consist of Cuteness and housewife activities, Examples being games like "The Sims" and "Nintendogs" but this is not the case. I've seen Females playing all sorts of games, from different Genres.
Women can and do play videogames. All the time in fact. It's just that - unlike adolescent boys and men - they're harder to hit as a demographic. You can't just shove some bland cardboard cutout "Hero" into a generic FPS (along with the requisite Aliens/Nazis) and expect them to fall over themselves in a frenzy to buy it. Neither does adding "Niggaz" stereotypes and foul language guarantee a sale. It does with males though, so that's why you see it.

No, women usually demand a little more from their experience. Which is why the MMORPG and Social Networking scene is absolutely dominated by female gamers. Not many women are content to sit on their own and obsessively play, to block out human interaction, to subject themselves to a "Press A to Kill Him" repetition. They demand to be entertained beyond their own little reality bubble. Sadly most MALE gamers don't. They are content to sit in isolation and play their adolescent alpha male gun fantasies over and over again.
PacSuit wrote:Women are also blamed for the rise of Casual games. But what people don't realise, is that Casual gamers have always been around, but that's another topic for another thread.
They should be less blamed and more SALUTED for this change in the industry. For too long games and gamers have had an insular and obsessive image. The Japanese even called it "Otaku" which, with typical pig-headedness the West took to mean a badge of honour.

Once women - and their "casual" (ie: actually playable and enjoyable) games came to dinner those self-same Otaku (who valued being able to survive Bullet-Hell shoot-em-ups as being the mark of a Man) were left with nothing to prove themselves against. Who cares if you could complete R-Type on one credit now, when we're all off having actual fun playing Cooking Mama?

Gamers can sometimes be even more arrogant than those idiot "Wine Tasters" who think being able to tell the difference between Chablis created with Chardonnay grapes from Les Preuses as opposed to Vaudésir (and more importantly have an audience to tell about it) is more important than actually enjoying the bloody wine in the first place.

Cultural Elitism. Wankers to a man. (But not woman, and that's surely the point?)
Freestyler: A customer that's too hard to please, complains all the time and wants everything for next to nothing.

FatTrucker

Post by FatTrucker » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:30 pm

Some really good points particularly on the male mindset, but I think 'girl' games are really just as demographically targeted and baseless as 'male' ones.

For sure you'll find most guys of a certain age wanting guns, blood, muscles, magic and all the trimmings, similarly though you'll find girls of a certain age playing games that involve nurturing and social interaction, again conforming to their own stereotype of the type of activity and temperament that should appeal to a girl. Cooking Mama to use that example, is a deeply targeted title and in terms of its actual play value, its no more complex or rewarding than any number of other games aimed at different demographics.

As I've gotten older I find I've gravitated away from flash bang gaming and much prefer something with a compelling back story or narrative, an interesting world to explore, or that requires significant attention or strategy. Yes most of these still come packaged 'Man Ready' set in universes dominated by male stereotypes, but there are subtle changes taking place nowadays.

With online services being the driving force going forward now, with Facebook and Twitter allied to your PSN and XBL accounts, and social gaming and online friends becoming common, you'll see increasing numbers of female gamers and perhaps the industry will cater to them not just with cooking, doll sim, and lets pretend games but with crossover titles that are more about the quality of content than the target audience.
In fact I think a lot of the time, girls who initially express an interest are often put off by so many Male gamers initial reactions to them, invariably either patronising them, trying to chat them up or otherwise acting like tw*ts, showing off, and being abusive. A bit like the first time you encounter American teenagers on X-Box Live.
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I've played all the Bratz games and Barbia Horse Adventures, due to having two girls and they are not rubbish in the slightest.
Feel free to add me on XBL.

oli_lar

Post by oli_lar » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:05 pm

Freestyler wrote:the MMORPG and Social Networking scene is absolutely dominated by female gamers.
You do realise the majority of the 'female' players are guys pretending, right? :lol:

I think you are overstating the problem quite a lot. Sure the male orientated games are there, as they always have been, but many men enjoy other games. Strategy and RTS for example. It is just the gaming media have a certain sort of writer these days, and the general media still has a 90's viewpoint of the average game player. Which causes the male stereotype you mention.

Not sure where you were going with the rant with the r-type bit in - if people didn't enjoy the games why would they play?

Oh, and Otaku is more or less the same as 'nerd', doesn't specifically refer to games.

chewy

Post by chewy » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:19 pm

I played Cooking Mama... A LOT 8)

A girl I work with plays more games than I do...

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:48 pm

My girlfried has a chipped PS1 and a DS, she only plays Cleopatra's Fortune on the PS1, but she likes all the Brain and Eye training games.. She also likes House of the Dead 1 and 3.. My sister likes the Professor Layton games and Jewel Quest

As I said before in the arcades I used to see girls 1 lifing Wardener and Wonderboy.. The real casual gamers to me are the people who come back from the Pub drunk and play Fifa and get all Evangelical about how Fifa and the PS3 are the future of gaming
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:53 pm

Quite a few female gamers in my family and in laws. My wife gets hooked on games like guitar hero, buzz series, bejewelled and tetris styled games mainly, and the odd platform adventure.
My sisters and sister in laws seem to follow similiar trends for the most part, and all love the Mario party games for a good games night.

My mother in law loves Galaga on the arcade machine

Freestyler

Post by Freestyler » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:10 pm

oli_lar wrote:
Freestyler wrote:the MMORPG and Social Networking scene is absolutely dominated by female gamers.
You do realise the majority of the 'female' players are guys pretending, right? :lol:
:lol: Yes indeed, which kind of ties in with FatTrucker's post:
FatTrucker wrote:In fact I think a lot of the time, girls who initially express an interest are often put off by so many Male gamers initial reactions to them, invariably either patronising them, trying to chat them up or otherwise acting like tw*ts, showing off, and being abusive. A bit like the first time you encounter American teenagers on X-Box Live.
Girls and women who used to play MMORPGs knew full well the reaction they got if they came forward as female, so most of them just stayed in their Guilds, and made friends that way. It was safer, and they had MUCH less hassle from random idiots.

It's gotten a lot better now as gamers of all ages and sexes are not only encountered, but are expected to be encountered in MMORPGs. No longer does the socially inadequate 15yr old male think that MMORPGs are full of people like him. In fact he's actually - demographically speaking - the oddity! :shock: :lol:

Over sixty percent of active MMORPG Gamers are female. And adults. With children. And they're not all playing Hello Kitty: Online. :mrgreen:
oli_lar wrote:I think you are overstating the problem quite a lot. Sure the male orientated games are there, as they always have been, but many men enjoy other games. Strategy and RTS for example. It is just the gaming media have a certain sort of writer these days, and the general media still has a 90's viewpoint of the average game player. Which causes the male stereotype you mention.
Yeah I am overstating (as usual) but in this case the hyperbole is for a good reason. Once games are demographically targetted towards a certain type they become "Safe." Little Johnny gets his Bloodthirst 2: The Bloodening and Suzie Pigtails gets her Barbie 3: Let's Walk Our Pets!

The problem is none of these Market research bods even consider that Suzie might want to slaughter a few zombies, or that little Johnny might have a dog-walking urge today. By heavily encoding games with such an overt "BOY" or "GIRL" motif it's intentionally putting off the opposite sex. It's effectively forcing social conditioning on our young.

Casual games are seen as being for females simply because the mindset is for violent games being for males. Ergo: No violence equals not for males.

Nintendo games do such good sales among all sexes and ages because they deliberately avoid targeting a particular age group. Mario Galaxy may seem like a children's game, but it has enough inside to make adults (both male and female) play the censored out of it for hours at a time. They do cater for the younger audience (Kirby's Epic Yarn with it's "you can't die" gameplay) but that's usually as well as their normal product. Those same kids can play Mario Galaxy too. Maybe not to completion, but they can certainly have fun.

As for the R-Type rant; it was just about people playing games just to say they've beaten them rather than to actually have fun. I chose R-Type deliberately as not even Jesus himself has one-lifed it (without changing the dip switches) :lol:
Freestyler: A customer that's too hard to please, complains all the time and wants everything for next to nothing.

Freestyler

Post by Freestyler » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:36 pm

Freestyler wrote:As for the R-Type rant; it was just about people playing games just to say they've beaten them rather than to actually have fun. I chose R-Type deliberately as not even Jesus himself has one-lifed it (without changing the dip switches) :lol:

I stand corrected! http://www.archive.org/details/Longplay-R-Type_Arcade R-TYPE ONE-LIFED! :shock:

I must say it's astonishing to watch, and I give the person playing it a lot of respect, but I find myself wondering "Just how much hair did they have to lose to get that good at it?!?" Stage 6 alone is a censored BEAST to finish, let alone the whole game on one life.

Will such a feat have guaranteed him a free blowie from an R-Type groupie? Probably not, but at least he can say he's beat one of the world's hardest bloody games. And for him that's probably good enough reason? :wink:

Helensification

Post by Helensification » Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:14 pm

Well I like a real mix of games so would not fit any stereotypical demographic except maybe on the ds.

On DS I mainly play puzzle/brain training type games, the Wii its dance games, wii fit, wii sports, wrestlemania, etc, the megadrive is the old favs like Sonic and now on the xbox I'm loving Fable3 though not got round to playing my daughters condemned yet. She loves killing games of any type - sadistic sod and she's just borrowed GTA4.

The old arcade games are still my passion though, which I play on the pc at the mo.

Can't stand the likes of the Sims, cooking (whatever), or pet type games - just too lame for me.

One thing though - really don't get half the acronyms on here - just not been on here long enough I suppose!! :?