HMV to close 60 stores

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Shinobi

HMV to close 60 stores

Post by Shinobi » Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:26 am

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-12117510

I know there incredibly overpriced but when HMV closes the only places selling Music and DVDs will be the Supermarkets.. I'm surprised how CEX stays opening buying stolen phone's from chavs..

Does anybody have idea which stores?
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

Rayne

Re: HMV to close 60 stores

Post by Rayne » Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:33 am

You're right about them being over priced though. I mean, they charge triple the price on many things you can buy online, Tesco's are often much cheaper than them too.

It's like Borders all over again, I like to go in and look but almost never but

rocky1980

Post by rocky1980 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:46 am

I have been told the one closest to me might close, its only been open a matter off months. Better get all my HMV reward points used up.
Rocky
King of The Quids 2011 Winner :D
http://www.youtube.com/user/rockythefishman

Image Image

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:48 am

I think the only thing I bought in there was Onichanbara for £3.. Everything else I got 10 + offline, the dvds there charging £15 - 20 for I can pick up off Amazon for £3 brand new!

Edit I also bought Gamecube Zelda from HMV new for £30 which was a bargain considering it sells for about 50 second-hand.. I guess pirated films being so easily available for free :wink:
Last edited by Shinobi on Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

Edwards80

Post by Edwards80 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:54 am

Their business has been hit by severe weather and "Challenging conditions"

I have to agree that trying to sell items that can be had for half the price including delivery, does create "Challenging conditions" for a company. Can't say this news is a surprise or a shame.

I may be somewhat biased after a member of their staff in the Manchester shop insulted my wife's taste in music in a very "stuck up his own backside" manner.

James A

Post by James A » Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:23 am

They do have the occasional bargin to be had in there now and again but alot of the stuff especially the Blu Rays are very over priced. This has been coming for a while though. I worked for them for a bit last year and even though the Chester branch was busy as hell over Christmas it only just scrapped through on its profit margin.

bensonrad

Post by bensonrad » Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:51 am

As a teenager during the 90's I used to regularly shop in the Brighton branch, for the first time in ages we went to Brighton on Monday. I walked past HMV and could not believe how run down it looked, all the decor, shelves and layout were the same as the 90's, just now shabby, dull and run down. I also thought it was odd that it was the only shop without big sale signs or xmas decor. Maybe there saving the sale for the branch closing!

Meanwhile a few doors along, they now have CEX, Game, Gamestation and a new place called Replay, all selling games, CDs, DVDs new and second hand.

I had a little thought then, HMVs days must surely be numbered in Brighton.
WANTED: ANY SNES or GAMEBOY GAMES, OR EMPTY BOXES, INSTRUCTION MANUALS or WHITE INNER TRAYS, going for FULL SETS of both.

Dominoid

Post by Dominoid » Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:56 am

It may well just be the duplicate stores. For example, they probably don't really need 3 in Bristol and 2 in Plymouth. They bought all the Zavvi stores when they went bust.

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:02 am

Yeah, I thought they'd well over-reached themselves when they bought those Zavvi stores, they own Fopp too. They seemed to be expanding when all around them were going to the wall (Virgin, Woolies, Music Zone, Fopp etc.)

At one point in Manchester alone they had 2 stores in Market street (3 if you include Fopp) & one in the Arndale. That's 4 shops within a 2 minute walk of each other, not surprised they're scaling back.
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:12 am

I miss Music Zone.

Got my first CD from there.
(Led Zep early days/later years)

Roo

Post by Roo » Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:26 am

I've got about £200 worth of in-store credit that I plan on using for the 3DS launch. Please, HMV - don't even toy with the notion of going into administration before the spring!

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:30 am

Used to buy tons of stuff from HMV but then the internet came along. I'm not someone who needs to trudge into town and go through the cd's/games in a shop, quite happy clicking a few times, ordering it online and then doing something else with my time.

When i last went into HMV the prices were ridiculous, way overpriced for brand new items. They do have some bargains for older dvds or music but i'm still happy getting most of my stuff from Amazon or Play.

firebreather

Post by firebreather » Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:40 am

Sign of the times, how many teens buy hard copies of music/dvd 's these days, my eldest certainly doesnt or any of her friends as far as i can tell.

STranger81

Post by STranger81 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:41 am

psj3809 wrote:When i last went into HMV the prices were ridiculous, way overpriced for brand new items. They do have some bargains for older dvds or music but i'm still happy getting most of my stuff from Amazon or Play.
Their new releases can be very expensive. Almost to the point of :shock: . I do buy from there a fair bit, but only offers because they do have some beauties.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:20 am

I have - in the past - derided HMV's mega high prices but there are loads of bargains if you look around such as DVD's for a fiver or less, bargains if you don't care about the lack of second bonus discs. I also enjoy digging through the 2 for £10 stock on CD albums which is a decent offer if you ask me. Picked up loads of CD's on account of their cheapness that I perhaps wouldn't have bought otherwise and thouroughly enjoyed them.

I just hope the Tamworth town centre branch doesn't close or else I don't really have much other choice than to shop online, an easy but - come on, let's admit it - soulless experience.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.