Retro Gamer 84 Official Feedback Thread: The Christmas Issue

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

rainbird rich

Re: Retro Gamer 84 Official Feedback Thread: The Christmas I

Post by rainbird rich » Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:14 am

bsg wrote:
The Virgin article was a little bit 'meh' if I had to be brutally honest. I can appreciate that it was based around the setting up of a games business (plus other dutoes), but it just seemed there was very little game related content in the main piece - but hey, that might only be MY opinion...
Hi. Sorry you didn't like part 1 of the Virgin Games story.

My article *is* about the people and the company much more than the games. Obviously the games do get a mention, but they aren't the central focus. I always find the stories about the people behind the games and the companies more interesting and much more revealing than the games themselves, but then that might be because that is my background too (having worked in the industry back in the good old days).

'From the Archives' is meant to be a company profile, and the people are the most important part of any company which is why I focused on them much more than the games. Hopefully other people found it a bit more interesting?!
Richard H.
http://www.birdsanctuary.co.uk
Memories of Telecomsoft

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:34 am

I thought it was fine, it's always a balance between telling the story of the people and the games and I'm sure most FTA's could run to double the length if there was room.
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:43 pm

Mine finally turned up today, I shall read it over christmas, notice God Hand's going to be in next months, looking forward to that.
Splink!

Mire Mare

Post by Mire Mare » Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:54 pm

That looks brilliant! The Christmas cover, based on one of my favourite Zzap covers, is perfect :) Damn this snow for delaying my copy!!

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:20 pm

rainbird rich wrote:
bsg wrote:
The Virgin article was a little bit 'meh' if I had to be brutally honest. I can appreciate that it was based around the setting up of a games business (plus other dutoes), but it just seemed there was very little game related content in the main piece - but hey, that might only be MY opinion...
Hi. Sorry you didn't like part 1 of the Virgin Games story.

My article *is* about the people and the company much more than the games. Obviously the games do get a mention, but they aren't the central focus. I always find the stories about the people behind the games and the companies more interesting and much more revealing than the games themselves, but then that might be because that is my background too (having worked in the industry back in the good old days).

'From the Archives' is meant to be a company profile, and the people are the most important part of any company which is why I focused on them much more than the games. Hopefully other people found it a bit more interesting?!
I enjoy the archives a lot. The fact it focuses on the people is kinda the point, to me anyway.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

RichL

Post by RichL » Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:30 pm

Dammit - still not here :evil: :evil: :evil:

ipmarks

Post by ipmarks » Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:21 pm

Still no magazine here in Leicester... should I be worried?

knight_beat

Post by knight_beat » Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:29 pm

knight_beat wrote:I'm looking forward to picking it up this week.
Or today. I bought RG84 at a WH Smith this morning.

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:56 pm

joefish wrote:Nice bit on Stunt Car Racer, though it forgot to mention the best feature - link-up multi-player.
Unless they dramatically edited what I wrote, most of 'Best opponent'/'Clue: it’s not the computer' was about the link-up stuff, although I didn't have enough space to mention the multi-platform element.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

rainbird rich

Post by rainbird rich » Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:24 am

CraigGrannell wrote:
joefish wrote:Nice bit on Stunt Car Racer, though it forgot to mention the best feature - link-up multi-player.
Unless they dramatically edited what I wrote, most of 'Best opponent'/'Clue: it’s not the computer' was about the link-up stuff, although I didn't have enough space to mention the multi-platform element.
Good old Stunt Car Racer. That was one of the games I got to work on at Telecomsoft. It was originally going to be a Firebird title, and the C64 version was coded and tweaked to hell before the 16-bit versions emerged. We spent hours in the development department racing around the tracks on the C64, writing down our times, how many turbos we used etc. so that Mr Crammond could adjust each track accordingly to get the balance right.
Richard H.
http://www.birdsanctuary.co.uk
Memories of Telecomsoft

kelp7

Post by kelp7 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:39 am

CraigGrannell wrote:
It was definitely mentioned. It brought back memories of being at university and living in the halls of residence. I had my A500 and my mate had his Atari ST, he was a few floors above me in the halls, I remember we passed a very long link-up cable out of his window and in through my window to play against each other :)
MZ-80A Secrets
http://mz-80a.com

joefish

Post by joefish » Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:37 am

I shall have to take another look - I may have missed a paragraph - but I did mean the cross-platform link-up. I used to take my ST round to a friend's room (with an Amiga) at Uni. We played Stunt Car Racer, Falcon and could get four of us onto Lotus Turbo II that way. A good chunk of the whole Aero. Eng. course in one room. On one of my summer jobs, I borrowed a very long lead from Boscombe Down and linked to an Amiga next door to play Populous, although that did drop-out occasionally.

mikeb

Post by mikeb » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:19 am

Really odd bit of editing in the Banshee piece. It should actually read: "The duo submitted their as-yet unnamed shooter demo to several Amiga-oriented publishers, including Psygnosis, Team 17 and Core Design, but Core were the only company to express interest. “In hindsight, it was a really bad demo,” laughs Søren, “but we were lucky that the head of Core Design liked 1942...”

The opportunity to join the company on a full-time basis in Derby came as an unexpected shock to the two Danes, as Jacob explains. “I was about to start at an engineering school when we sent our demo to Core,” he says, “and was actually a bit surprised that they wanted to hire us. I then thought, I would go there for a year or two and then return to Denmark to finish my education, but that never happened!”

Not had time to read much but must say - I thought the Virgin piece was excellent...

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:30 am

rainbird rich wrote:Good old Stunt Car Racer. That was one of the games I got to work on at Telecomsoft. It was originally going to be a Firebird title, and the C64 version was coded and tweaked to hell before the 16-bit versions emerged. We spent hours in the development department racing around the tracks on the C64, writing down our times, how many turbos we used etc. so that Mr Crammond could adjust each track accordingly to get the balance right.
Huh... I thought the C64 version was a port from the 16 bit titles, but it was actually the lead development format? Learn something new...
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

djcarlos

Post by djcarlos » Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:52 pm

I've been getting post all week.....put still no RG :(