Super Castlevania - Best Level

This is a new sub-forum that will feature all posts relevant for each monthly game readers will be participating in.

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Darran@Retro Gamer

Super Castlevania - Best Level

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:52 pm

Let's hear it then.

Miketendo

Re: Super Castlevania - Best Level

Post by Miketendo » Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:58 pm

That's tough. I probably have more fun in level 3 (The Cave) than any other level. By the way, anyone else notice the Fig Newton-looking floor tiles when approaching Dracula in the final level? Always makes me want Fig Newtons. :)

stejay215

Post by stejay215 » Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:40 pm

Stage 10 (The Clocktower) I love the music, the challenge and the feeling when you finally beat it. It's also a nice reminder of Castlevania 3.

thesubcon3

Post by thesubcon3 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:33 pm

I really enjoyed the first few levels since I had to play them so much to progress through the later ones. The design is flawless and takes it really easy on you unlike the later levels where the game mauls you.

Alarm

Post by Alarm » Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:31 pm

Stage 8, Catacombs, is fun to play through.

Jeremiah Jones

Post by Jeremiah Jones » Sat Dec 11, 2010 5:43 pm

Back in '91 or '92 I probably would've said stage 4 because of the way it tinkered with the hardware's mode-7 abilities and made you think that gravity itself was going awry. But these days it's the last stage that gives me the most enjoyment for its ability to keep me on the edge of my seat. Running from a crumbling bridge with bats nipping at your back, ascending a long vertical passage of collapsing stairways while a giant buzzsaw chases you from below, and of course the FOUR consecutive boss fights that follow it!

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:50 am

Must admit all that Mode 7 goodness still manages to impress me. I particularly love the tunnel sequence, as it helped reinforce the fact that buying a SNES over a Mega Drive was the best thing I ever done.

SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:24 pm

Jeremiah Jones wrote:Back in '91 or '92 I probably would've said stage 4 because of the way it tinkered with the hardware's mode-7 abilities and made you think that gravity itself was going awry. But these days it's the last stage that gives me the most enjoyment for its ability to keep me on the edge of my seat. Running from a crumbling bridge with bats nipping at your back, ascending a long vertical passage of collapsing stairways while a giant buzzsaw chases you from below, and of course the FOUR consecutive boss fights that follow it!
I had the code to go straight to that final boss sequence commited to memory at one point. :)

F-zero

Post by F-zero » Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:47 pm

Hmmm, tough call.
I'm going with the Gold Level (The Treasury), i love all the transparences and sound effects.
The Library would be a close 2nd.

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Fri Dec 24, 2010 3:14 pm

Hard to say which is the best level... I love the clock tower with the music, but the opening two levels just ooze atmosphere and work a turn on the familiar Castlevania setup.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

dste

Post by dste » Fri Dec 24, 2010 3:17 pm

I think it's level 4.1 which has to be my favourite.

It's the one where you have the monsters popping out of the wall and the green platforms that spin when you land on them, especially the platform near the end of the section that is precariously placed above a gap and you know that it has a piece of meat in the candles but is it worth the risk of landing on the platform and falling straight to your death.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:28 am

The Ballroom level where you fight the ghostly dancers and the woman in the picture came to life and you from walking past.. For some reason I had a soft spot for the Stable level with Mr Ed's ghostly relative Mr Head a disembodied Horses head...
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"