Best 2 player games on the SNES?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

club

Re: Best 2 player games on the SNES?

Post by club » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:50 am

TheSpeedOfSex wrote:I don't mean to dig up old threads (in a sense it's like digging up old games :D) but it's quite refreshing to see people bring up Street Fighter as one of the best games on the SNES (and especially best 2 player game). Talk to any current gen gamer and they wouldn't even give it a thought. I remember owning Super Street Fighter II and my friend asked whether he could borrow it in exchange for Super Mario World. My response to him was simply "f**k off". No disrespect to what I consider the best Mario game in the series (and Mario Bros 3). But SSF2 was much more exciting to have. It was like bringing the hype of arcade gaming from that generation to your household.
Totally agree. SF2 was the top arcade game of the day IN MY BEDROOM. Mario World and the like just couldn't compete with the feeling you got from that.

llj

Post by llj » Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:56 pm

Don't forget Secret of Mana. Still one of the few true non-online multiplayer JRPGs out there.

Dizrythmia

Post by Dizrythmia » Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:58 pm

I'm surprised there's been no mention of Kirby's Dreamland 3. My girlfriend & I are playing through that at the moment & it has a decent 2 player mode

SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:16 pm

SF Alpha 2 gained me much needed RESPECT when I was the first, and for a while, the only peep in school to have it.

I think Syndicate in skirmish mode and UN Squadron were 2xplayer too ? Probably wrong tho.

Oh and MicroMachines.

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:21 am

CIH wrote:SF Alpha 2 gained me much needed RESPECT when I was the first, and for a while, the only peep in school to have it.
Exactly, the SNES port doesn't get the respect it deserves for being so close to the other versions, especially as it's all squeezed into 2 megs (modern, 16 meg old).

kizzer

Post by kizzer » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:04 am

International Superstar Soccer! Me and my mates spent alot of our youth on that game!

the_expendable90

Post by the_expendable90 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:21 am

THE LOST VIKINGS 1 & 2

SpockIOM

Post by SpockIOM » Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:43 am

Zombies Ate My Neighbours anyone?
Yours sincerely, the little voice in your head that talks when you read.

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:06 am

Super Mario Kart - so many happy after school evenings spent playing that one. Online multiplayer is great, but can never beat having a friend next to you

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:29 am

Negative Creep wrote:Super Mario Kart
This. SMK is the best 2 player game on the SNES, imo. It was designed with 2 players in mind and it's still a blast to play.

Worthy mentions are also Street Fighter II (any version but I prefer Turbo), Killer Instinct, Super Tennis, Final Fight 3, Smash TV, Total Carnage (censored on SNES though), Sunset Riders, Raiden Trad, ect. And, if you can find some players, F-Zero VS.

sirpigmeat

Post by sirpigmeat » Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:37 am

Pocky and Rocky 1&2...

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:23 pm

Liamh1982 wrote:
CIH wrote:SF Alpha 2 gained me much needed RESPECT when I was the first, and for a while, the only peep in school to have it.
Exactly, the SNES port doesn't get the respect it deserves for being so close to the other versions, especially as it's all squeezed into 2 megs (modern, 16 meg old).
Surely had to be on a 32Meg cart, at least? The original SFII was on a 16Mbit cart, Turbo was 24Mbit and Super was on 32Mbit.

But the point remains, very impressive port indeed.

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:06 am

You'd think so what with Super SFII being on big fat carts (I believe it was a 40meg on the MD) but no, indeed it was only 16meg - remember this was very late in the SNES's life and I doubt Capcom could be bothered with the expense of memory chips. The SA-1 chip was used to compress what animation survived into a smaller space, then decompress it again as needs be. It's the time taken decompressing that causes the "loading" pauses in-game.

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:30 pm

Thats cool and very impressive. I wonder if they bothered with all the compression for the VC version. Thats the only one I have, never had the SNES cart, and i don't remember the loading pauses. Usually the VC emulation is good at porting over the "flaws" of the original!

I think its so impressive what they used to cram on to carts in those days, and right up to the N64. 8 Megabytes for the whole of Super Mario 64 and Zelda Link to the Past on just 1 Megabyte.

davyK

Post by davyK » Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:12 am

a few more 2 player games that haven't been mentioned;

Battletoads in Battlemaniacs (with coop and versus modes)
Legend of Mystical Ninja (hilarious - including the piggy back moves in the side on platforming sections!)
Hebereke's Popoitto (puzzle game - imagine Dr Mario with moving viruses)
Super Off road (sadly this came out too early for multi-tap support but its a decent port for 2 players)
Chaos Engine (you really need to work together to progress at all)
Pop n Twinbee (lovely shmup that features a move that allows tyou to throw the other player around the screen!)
Tetris & Dr Mario (has the usual 2 player versus modes, but also an interesting mixed mode which is a versus score attack playing tetris B, Dr Mario and Tetris A in sequence against a time limit.)
Super Swiv (the 2 player mode is almost hidden - press SELECT at the title screen for heli & jeep at same time)
Tetris Battle Gaiden - gorgeous version which has classic mode and gaiden mode with spell based attacks.