R.I.P my dad

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

boggyb68

Re: R.I.P my dad

Post by boggyb68 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:35 am

psj3809 wrote:Good on ya fella.

Lets save any arguments for the famous 'C64/Speccy/Amstrad, which was best' thread ? ;)
C64 of course.. ;)

Well done Kilb, definitely the right way to go about things after the earlier comment..

Cheers

B.
Pinkle Squirmy Blip Blip Blip

PrimalScientist

Post by PrimalScientist » Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:36 am

We all have bouts of madness.

My wife more than anyone.....
The rolling pin in our house has dents in it!!! :D

All Sleeping Deity!

Post by All Sleeping Deity! » Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:42 am

mohicankid wrote:i havn't spoken to my dad for over a year, i lost contact with most of my family a while ago through personal choice,with my dad being my only point of contact, then eventualy fell out of contact with him, no arguments or anything, i lost my phone, including his number, then moved house, so with him not having my number or adress, he had no way of getting in touch with me...and visa versa, i suppose i could have if i'd have wanted to, but it didn't seem that important!
whilst on the way to R3PLAY on friday morning, i received a 3rd person message that my dad had infact died on or around october 11th.
it came as a bit of a shock to be honest, i mean, well, its my dad! love him or not now, i did once! he was a single parent, and despite me not apreciating it at the time, he did the best he could, its not the fact that i'll never see him again that bothers me so much, but the fact that due to my own ignorance, not only did i not get a chance to say good bye, but i never got to see him off!
its kinda sad ,but this is my only outlett on this one, so for what its worth, goodbye dad, and i'm sorry for being such a sh!t.

thanks to r3play, i have been way too busy to actualy think about this untill now, i hope you don't mind me doing this here

thanks
M'K

oh, and if you havn't spoken to your parents in a while, for whatever reason....give them a call!
Jesus! I cried reading that. Im in the same boat- guess I should have looked at some of the topics before posting my zetro query. yeah, my dear old man passed away at the age of 76 in august. Isnt funny how you now wish you could have done more together - well, I do. My relationship with my dad was hard because I saw him more as an older friend than a dad. sounds weird I know, but it just felt hard to connect with him in a father/son kinda way.

if you ever wanna talk, send me a message mate

pforson

Post by pforson » Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:23 am

Sorry to hear of your loss Simon.

Congratulations on achieving £1270 in only 2 days. This success is a great compliment to your Father and demonstrates that he raised an excellent son.
WANTED: Amiga CD32 games. PM me. :)

mohicankid

Post by mohicankid » Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:23 am

ok just so you all know, i now know the when, wheres, why's and hows!

my dad became suddenly ill in september, and after toing and throwing from the hospital he was finaly admited with metotastic pancriatic cancer, he lasted just a few days in hospital then died on the 21st september, after franticaly trying to get hold of me, but failing (although my dad knew how to contact me, he flat out refused telling my family that he didn't want me to see him like this, that he loved me too much to put me through it..)he was cremated on the 4th october, and the remains burried in a place he loved!

he apparently was in so much pain in the end that he was off his head on morphene, in the hour leading to his death, he appeard to be having a conversation, but with whome, no-one knows, then he went quite, for about ten minuits, sat up looked around smiling, blew a rasberry at no-one in particular, laid his head ,smiled at my sister and died!

the fact that my farthers last word on this plannet was Pllllllllllllllll will never fail to make me smile!

so there you have it, and dad... :P right back at you!

but the upshot of this is i now have a place i can go and say my goodbye! i also have a couple of things held for me that he wanted me to have, including his service medal, so i will be doing that this weekend!
hopefully i can get my head back together and get on with it after that!

just so you know, although your comments are greatly apreciated, i will be locking this thread at around 11 o clock on sunday morning, it seems a fitting time and date to lay this thread to rest, as i couldn't do so for my dad!
any objections to my doing this should be voiced to me via pm!

thank you
MK
Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water...

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:20 am

I don't mean this to cause offence but if you're going to go then go in style and by the sounds of it your dad certainly did, I can only assume that that rasberry was blown at the world in general.
Splink!

mohicankid

Post by mohicankid » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:28 am

thats the majic of it. only he know's, but my main two fears have now been quashed, he didn't die alone, and he is somwhere i can visit!
thats all that matters now!

RetroRik

Post by RetroRik » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:23 pm

Strange simularity when my dad died.

He had bowel cancer and was in so much pain in the end was also high on morphene.

He was seeing large bugs in the room.

He then went to sleep for 12 hours and at the end he seemed to come around for about 5 seconds looking around and his gaze seemed to be on me. Then he passed....

Was a strange thing to wickness indeed.

The weeks that follow are also strange. I didn't feel i mourned but in retrospect i think i did in a suttle way.

RIK

boggyb68

Post by boggyb68 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:34 pm

I was there at the end with my old man, he had cancer of the oesophogus, and died in bed. No raspberries or owt, just deep breathing until the final breath came and he turned and felt my wife's stomach (she was due to give birth a week later which she did and he just missed out on seeing his first grandson :( and he, like Rik's dad, looked at me and then the final gasp came and that was that..

I have never gotten over it, I never will and I don't think I have really mourned it either..

Glad you found out the details Si, and you have your place to go and mementos to keep...

Cheers

B.
Pinkle Squirmy Blip Blip Blip

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:48 pm

Was there when my Grandad passed away...Was peaceful, but he knew he was on his last few seconds on this earth.The look in his eyes, was thankfully one of peace, but still haunts me to this day.Just feel fortunate he died of old age basically, his mind still sharp, no wasting illness etc.Would also add that yes, having somewhere you can vist, spend some quiet time etc, does help you come to terms with the passing.My thoughts are with you M.K. Take things day at a time my friend.

mohicankid

Post by mohicankid » Sun Nov 14, 2010 4:00 pm

went to see my dad today, not easy, but it will get easyer! also picked up his service medal, some photo's and some bits and bobs...can you beleive he still had a birthday card i made for him when i was 12 years old? i have it back now :(

a little later in the day than expected but its been an emotional day!

goodbye dad

thread locked MK

mohicankid

Post by mohicankid » Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:23 pm

hope people don't mind me resurecting this thread but its just over a year now since my dad actualy died, the first anniversary was this past wednsday, and i would just like to thank Dave,Gordon and Andy of Replay Events for the distraction, and appoligise for being an irritable cnut at times!
it's true that you don't fully appreciate someone untill they are gone, i remember mentioning in this thread that although we didn't talk much, my dad and I were there for each other if we needed it...it seems i have needed him so much more than ever this past year, i still talk to him, well his medal at least, i keep it next to my bed at all times. a bit silly as i'm not religiouse and i do know its just a lump of metal! but it helps.
i love you dad.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:36 pm

Always understandable to be a miserable c**t on such a anniversary.

Unless its my dads anniversary (Never did like him)

retrogamerdude

Post by retrogamerdude » Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:12 pm

Sorry about your dad mohicankid - if you need someone to talk to just pm me and i'll listen/read on what you have to say and i can help how ever i can
Retro Gamer For Life <3

Lately been playing:
Splatoon 2 (Nintendo Switch)

Last Purchase - Super Mario Odyssey (NS)

rapidly-greying

Post by rapidly-greying » Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:24 pm

I've just read this thread from start to finish. 1 to read all the kind words for a bloke that lost a loved one(belated good wishes lad),and 2 to see if that wee censored glib got an internet lynching.

I have to say that I was very disappointed to see people so quick to forgive him. He essentially said something that was bang out of order purely to amuse himself and to hopefully start a war of words. When he realised that nobody was remotely amused he began groveling with his cowardly tail between his legs. I can guarantee he didn't do it out of guilt or regret,but purely out of fear of being shunned.

I personally would have tried to get him banned. You'd imagine that a retro gaming forum would be made up of mature adults able to sympathise and empathise with other like mined people,but there is clearly no escaping the scum of the internet.

Glib,a pox on you.
Keith,Scotland 35,wife n 2 kids,Owned(or own)a NES,SNES,N64,GC,Wii,Gameboy,DS,360,Sega MD,DC+GG,Intellevision, C 64, ZX Spec 48k+,PS1,2+3.Fave games are Zelda,Mario,Leaderboard,Tomb Raider,Bombjack,Pilotwings,Ridge Racer,Ico,Everybody's Golf,DAFC fan.