Sureshot's Completion Tracker Topic

Got a high score accomplishment or speedrun to boast about? Share it here!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

Sureshot

Sureshot's Completion Tracker Topic

Post by Sureshot » Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:28 am

Please be aware that this thread may contain spoilers. This is unavoidable!

As described on the explanatory thread I posted, here's my personal Completion Tracker Topic. Feel free to use my formatting if you wish to setup your own (to get at it easier - quote my post, remove the quote tags and edit to your heart's content).

The criteria for my list is simple: get to the end of the game - without cheating - before I can make a new post. If achievements are applicable, it's not required for me to collect them all before I can post (but I'll definitely mention how I did with them if it's worthwhile).

Continues and saves are allowed ONLY in games where they are naturally given or earned - Arcade games will be completed on one credit only. Save states may only be used when/if a save point occurs in-game (for the reason that I once relied solely on a game's built-in save alone, only to find it didn't work properly and I lost all progress).

I'm also not going to be adding games that I've completed in the past, UNLESS I have evidence to back it up from the 'what have you completed?' thread. Saying 'I completed Doom 2 in 1998' is not enough, and also gives me the incentive to go back and give it another crack.

Finally, my game summaries are NOT going to be full-blown game reviews - I just don't have time for that. They'll basically give my train of thought on the games I complete and an idea as to whether or not getting through them was worth the effort.

Actually one more thing - DO reply if you have thoughts or opinions on any games that I put on here - don't think this is some kind of showcase topic that shouldn't be replied to. Creating discussion and debate is what it's all about.

So, to the list:

> Total Games Completed: 3

[September 2010]
  • 14/09/2010 - Crusader of Centy / Soleil (Genesis / Mega Drive) <link>
  • 18/09/2010 - NHL '94 (Genesis / Mega Drive) <link>
  • 19/09/2010 - Super Puzzle Fighter 2 Turbo (Arcade) <link>
Last edited by Sureshot on Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:51 am, edited 4 times in total.

Sureshot

Re: Sureshot's Completion Tracker Topic

Post by Sureshot » Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:29 am

Reserved in case the original post gets out of hand.

Sureshot

Post by Sureshot » Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:29 am

Game: Crusader of Centy / Soleil (Genesis / Mega Drive) <wiki>
Year: 1994
Genre: Action RPG
Date of Completion: September 14th, 2010
Completion Time: Around 3 evenings of play.
Completion Details: Finished the story from beginning to end.
Difficulty: Default (no other options).
Recommended to Others? Yes.

====================================================

Image Image Image
Image Image Image

Youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dq7fDSYeM84

Summary:

I originally played Soleil back when I was younger and it became one of my favourite memories of the Mega Drive. However, I have to say that while I do recommend that others give this a go in the present day, it certainly hasn't aged quite as well as I thought it would.

The story, for starters, has been bettered by many other RPGs since this saw the light of day - not in the sense that it's overly generic, but it gets utterly disjointed after a while; particularly towards the end where it seems the writers simply decided to throw the script out of the window and improvise with some truly bizarre plot elements. Don't be surprised if someone calls your character a 'jerk' or notes that a particular situation 'sucks', either.

Some ideas have been implemented considerably better in other games too; for instance, I thought that the inclusion of time travel was absolutely genius at the time... and then I played Chrono Trigger a few years later. Soleil's efforts now seem nothing but 'cute' in comparison.

The game isn't without its redeeming elements, however, such as the animal companion system which adds another element to gameplay, the soundtrack - which is still one of my favourites, and some great little puzzles that you encounter, including a boss fight where you have to complete a basic Pac Man clone in order to progress and a situation where you have to race against a cheetah in a go-kart and win to get him to join your group.

Something that I also noticed about the game on giving it another whirl is the developers seemed intent on throwing in as many real-world/pop-culture references as they could get away with. Examples: the well known cameo-appearance of Sonic in Anemone Beach, the spelling out of 'Atlus' in blocks in Camellia Desert, the sneaky inclusion of a Wizard of Oz-type affair which involves a cyclone and some ruby slippers and finally - the oddest of all - when you speak to your dog in the periods where you're not able to understand the animals, he'll respond with 'Bow-wow-wow yippee-yo, yippee-yay!' For those not in the know, that's a line uttered by Snoop Dogg in the song 'Fuck Wit Dre Day', on which he collaborated with Dr. Dre himself. I'm pretty sure there are a few more nuggets in there too.

Most people compare this game heavily to some of the Zelda titles (and dismiss it as being a poor clone), but I'd say it's even more action-orientated than Zelda - the dialog is fairly thin in comparison. With that, I'd say if you are thinking of giving this a go, try not to go into it thinking too much in terms of it being an RPG - go for Action-Adventure instead. Heck, it's probably the only RPG I've played that actually doesn't have the standard item shop/weapon shop/inn combination in every town you visit. In fact, you can't actually buy weapons, items or stay at inns in the game. Gold hardly even factors into the experience, and is mainly used for renting animal companions, although - very much like Zelda - you do magically find it hiding in tufts of grass, which your unrelenting destruction of is comically highlighted by a perturbed flower that you talk to in the game at one stage.

Anyway, I've already written a lot more than I was expecting, so thus ends the first post of my completion thread. Hopefully this gives you some idea of what I was blathering on about in the introduction I posted and encourage you to make your own.
Last edited by Sureshot on Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sureshot

Post by Sureshot » Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:12 pm

Game: NHL '94 (Genesis / Mega Drive) <wiki>
Year: 1993
Genre: Sports - Ice Hockey
Date of Completion: September 18th, 2010
Completion Time: About 4-5 hours of playtime.
Completion Details: Won the Stanley Cup in a best-of-7 playoffs.
Difficulty: NHL94.com Classic League Rules

Image Image Image
Image Image Image

Youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYDtqK4Fdlc

Summary:

Had to get this in here somewhere, didn't I? ;)

So the first question most people are going to ask is - how do you complete a sports game? Well, in the case of NHL '94, you have 3 solo modes of play: Regular Season (which is actually just a single exhibition game, not a season), Playoffs, Playoffs (Best of 7) and Shootout. Thus, the my completion criteria in this situation is to basically win in every single-player mode. This probably won't work that well in other sports games where you have seasons which roll over and so forth, as the game never actually has a solid ending point. In NHL '94, however, nothing rolls over, so this makes completion a lot less ambiguous.

Anyway, after blasting through a regular season and single-game playoff series to warm up, I was ready to tackle what I believe I've never actually done in this game - complete a best-of-7 playoff run. For those who don't follow hockey, you need to get through four playoff rounds in order to being crowned the Stanley Cup Champions: the Conference Quarterfinals, the Conference Semifinals, the Conference Finals and lastly the Stanley Cup Final. This means that if every series you played went the full length, you'd play a total of 28 games. Of course, for me that also meant considering the possibility that I'd have to play 28 games of NHL '94. And while I do love the game a great deal, that was something I definitely didn't want to do before I could reach my goal.

Luckily, I didn't have to, and actually ended up taking the cup in 18 games, playing with the Buffalo Sabres (who I reached the Stanley Cup Finals with in the NHL94.com Classic C League). Without further ado, here's how the whole thing went down:

The scores below always list my goal tally first, regardless of me being home or away

Round 1 - Ottawa Senators vs Buffalo Sabres - Buffalo Wins 4-0

Game 1: 6-0 (H)
Game 2: 9-0 (H)
Game 3: 2-1 (A)
Game 4: 9-0 (A)

Round 2 - Boston Bruins vs Buffalo Sabres - Buffalo Wins 4-0
Game 1: 4-0 (H)
Game 2: 1-0 (H)
Game 3: 3-2 (A)
Game 4: 7-0 (A)

Series 3 - Buffalo Sabres vs Quebec Nordiques - Buffalo Wins 4-2
Game 1: 0-1 (A)
Game 2: 6-1 (A)
Game 3: 5-1 (H)
Game 4: 3-4 (H)
Game 5: 9-2 (A)
Game 6: 5-1 (H)

Final - Buffalo Sabres vs Chicago Blackhawks - Buffalo Wins 4-0
Game 1: 5-1 (A)
Game 2: 2-1 (A)
Game 3: 6-2 (H)
Game 4: 4-0 (H)

Probably the most surprising thing about these playoffs was that the Nordiques gave me more problems than the Blackhawks, despite the fact that Chicago are arguably the best team in the game and have one of the two top goaltenders to boot.

Here are some screens of the cup being raised, and the stats leaders on my team for the tournament:

Image Image Image
Incidentally, that's probably the least amount of people on the ice from a team who's just won the Stanley Cup that I've ever seen - I had 2 guys in the box at the end of the game, so there are only three plus the goalie. I guess nobody else was allowed on the ice? :lol:

Image Image Image
Image Image Image
Pretty confident about the Conn Smythe winner from these stats. ;) Put it this way - in real life, the record number of goals scored by one person in a playoff run is 19...

Oh yeah and apologies for the drab-looking pallet on the screens, converted them into JPGs by accident and couldn't be bothered re-doing them. I'll do better next time!

See you once I've completed something else...

Mire Mare

Post by Mire Mare » Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:24 pm

I like your thread Sureshot :)

NHLPA93 is my favourite hockey game but I haven't played '94. Have you played both and if so what do you think are the pro's & cons of each? Are there big improvements in gameplay, options etc moving from '93 to '94? I'm sure the Shootout mode wasn't in '93.

I really enjoyed playing the best of 7 series. It made winning the Stanley Cup very satisfying. I played 93' so much I could win the Stanley cup with any team, including San Jose, though my team of choice was Edmonton, and beat most of my friends with ease. It annoyed them doubly so when I'd take out my keeper and still stop them scoring :twisted: :lol:

Sureshot

Post by Sureshot » Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:55 pm

The first NHL game I played was actually 93 and I still have really fond memories of it. It pretty much single-handedly got me into hockey, so for that I'm forever in its debt.

However, 94 is the pinnacle of the series for me simply because it adds more to the winning formula of 93 without making too many major overhauls (as happened in 95). For instance, the inclusion of the one-timer in 94 opens a completely new different set of scoring options. Goaltenders have more animations and you can also choose to use manual goalie (which is really not fully manual - more like semi-automatic as you can switch to your keeper by holding B whenever you want - the AI plays it for the remainder). This is an absolutely massive inclusion as it not only gives you the opportunity to control the goaltender on a whim (obviously), but also gives you the chance to negate the cheap goals that befell the AI goalies so often (hello crease cuts).

94 is also slightly faster than 93, and has a bunch of new presentation features such as more pieces of organ music and digitised player pictures. And, as you say, shootouts were not in 93, although I'm personally not a massive fan of them as it happens.

A number of people lament the removal of fighting and blood from 94, but for me fighting in 93 was always a waste of time. It changed absolutely nothing in the game (apart from you being less an enforcer for 5 minutes) and they also occurred at random so you really had no idea when you were about to lose them to some bench-warming time. Fighting in the NHL is a great spectacle but for me it's never translated well into NHL games.

So yeah, I'll always hold a special place for 93, but 94 is the better game overall.

Sureshot

Post by Sureshot » Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:47 am

Game: Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo (Arcade) <wiki>
Year: 1996
Genre: Puzzle - Tetris-style
Date of Completion: September 19th, 2010
Completion Time: About 15 minutes.
Completion Details: 1CC single-player mode on the hardest difficulty.
Difficulty: Click to view settings

Image Image
ImageImage
Image Image

Youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbxxH18nNYs

Summary:

Another one that was just not going to take long for me to slap on here.

As many know, Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo is one of my all-time favourite games, and, when played by two human players, the best Tetris-style game ever to grace a gaming machine. I stress 'for two players' as the single-player mode in this game is dull, short and easy, as you might have guessed by my completion time. Heck, it's taken me longer to write this CTT summary than to actually complete the game itself. In the solo department, the original Tetris definitely has its number.

For those who don't know my history with this game, I started playing SPF2:T when it arrived on the original Playstation. I was working in a game shop at the time, and quickly it became the undisputed staple feature of our working (and non-working) days, to the extent where people usually did one of three things when they came to the shop - one was for them to utter 'you're not still playing that bloody game are you?', and if we didn't hear that it normally meant they'd sauntered over to the counter to watch the action. In fact, some people eventually started coming into the shop just to watch us duke it out rather than actually buy anything.

The third way - which only ever occurred when the shop was closed - was for them to stand outside and peer through the door while scratching their head as we were STILL in there playing even when the damn place wasn't open.

We played pretty solidly for around three years, and in that time I believe my old boss snapped two copies of the game, each time declaring that the game would never be played in the shop again (which never happened - we only stopped playing because we all moved away and unfortunately the store eventually closed). There were also some crazy conspiracy theories going around about 'who the computer wanted to win', which ridiculously resulted in us having to reset the Playstation after every 10 games as someone had 'worked out' that it started favouring one player or another after that stage. That's how serious it got, particularly when we started wagering with each other.

During that time, we also tried many, many other Tetris-style titles to try and vary things up a bit - games like Tetris Attack, Wetrix and even Columns were put on trial and ultimately cast aside as we simply couldn't find anything that matched the speed and tactical level that SPF2T offered. We even started trying to branch out into stuff like NHL games, but eventually we always returned to the art of dropping coloured timer blocks on each other.

When Capcom came out with SPF2T HD Remix for XBLA and PSN, I was naturally ecstatic. Online multiplayer was like a dream come true, but it's such a shame that absolutely no-one seems to play it any more. Also, despite the fact that I feel the big C could have done a better job with the update and missed a great number of chances to make the game truly unbelievable, the game itself is better than the standard version for one other major reason - instant drop. In the original, there is no button to immediately place a block; pressing down only increases the block's descent speed. With its inclusion in SPF2T HDR, the game up-shifted from 'regular fast' to 'absolutely batshit crazy fast'. There's nothing else like it - it's almost like a Tetris racing game where your attacks are merely there to slow your opponent down.

Anyhow, that's the end of another completion post for me. Whatever I get through next had better take longer than it does for me to make my dinner...

Image Image

Sureshot

Post by Sureshot » Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:49 pm

Just noticed the formatting for the images on my SF2 post looked really weird in the default board scheme. I use EF's script to change stuff up which allows a slightly larger posting area. If you do notice that any posts look odd in some way, let me know.