What console of the same do you own in different variations?

Pitch your ideas and suggestions for Retro Gamer Magazine here.

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

rtrgrl78

What console of the same do you own in different variations?

Post by rtrgrl78 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:56 pm

A bit of an odd question from me, I know but can see the appeal of owning a machine because of it's colour or a slight variation on the model? For me, I own a black NDS Light and for a while I really wanted the dark blue, just not having the money put me off slightly, but if I would have seen one in store, I know I would've have jumped at it. I went through a phase of wanting the red NDS Light, but having since bought one for a gift for my mother, the colour seems pretty bold and now just OK. I thought I was going to go mad for the NDSi XL but strangely I can't justify it and read the pretty bad reports. And, now have been looking at the piano black PSP 3000 with 'Toy Story 3' bundle (I've got the vibrant blue one, but am yet to open the Harry Potter game that came with it), the main appeal for this bundle; it looks smart and plus I really want to play the new game and I think the PSP 3000 may be reaching it's shelf life soon and thinks its an ace machine. Also, a while ago I really wanted the crystal X-Box and even to this day think it looks really smart. Future purchase though for definite; NDS 3D for the obvious 3D and mine will be on it's 3rd year, oh and of course I still want to own the new 360 Elite. So, is this just me that thinks like this, or any of you other guys experience it?

necronom

Re: What console of the same do you own in different variations?

Post by necronom » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:08 pm

Not a console, but I own two of the same computer. I have a C64, and a C64c. The C64c looks a bit like a small Amiga, and looks much better than the original design.
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

rtrgrl78

Post by rtrgrl78 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:54 pm

necronom wrote:Not a console, but I own two of the same computer. I have a C64, and a C64c. The C64c looks a bit like a small Amiga, and looks much better than the original design.

Same as us a fews years back, Dad had the beige 'bread-bin' one before I came along and then bought me my own C64c complete with the light-gun pack. I think he must've thought it was a bit better than than the beige one. Though for consistency, I always preferred the older style one, mine sometimes had a mind of it's own, you would type something and maybe something different would appear on screen. No loss to me though, I was just using to load up tape games and such. Interestingly we cannot locate the older model in our house, suspect my older brother may have taken it with him as it he used to use it sometimes.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:23 pm

No, its never interested me. The only time I've bought the same system twice was for better tech specs, not colour, when I moved from Atari STFM to STE, but even then it had been much reduced in price.

Now I've got some doubles for convenience, so I have PS2s in different rooms for example to save me unplugging things. Not deliberately different models though. Ideally I'd have them all identical, if only for spares in future.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

stvd

Post by stvd » Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:57 am

I have 3 different Atari 2600's - 6-switch, 4-switch and a 2600 Jnr.
Megadrive MK 1 & 2
I did have 3 different coloured NeoGeo Pocket Colors (but sold 2 of them).
Does a Gameboy Advance and an Advance SP count?
PS2 Slim and an original phat arriving in the next few days.

The Angry Jock

Post by The Angry Jock » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:42 am

Got 4 of the 6 UK NGPC colours - only console I really want all variants and bit & bobs.

Got 3 GC's, bought a platinum one new and always wanted the white/pearlescent one. Eventually picked one up (aswell as a black one) in a job lot, which also came with an orange N64 - best £20 I ever spent that was as I got a dozen consoles and dozens of games.

EDIT:
Thinking about it, I would like a Silver GBA Micro as I have green and blue...but then I'd have to get pink too :shock: :lol:
Retropassion reborn
sscott wrote:I fuck1n love the fuck1n Internet and all its fuckin fu(kball opinions. I fuck1n like this fuk(her, I don't fuccckin like this fuckeeer. It's not out yet, that isn't gonna gonna stop me! No sir! and so onnnnnnnnnn........

stvd

Post by stvd » Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:24 am

The Angry Jock wrote:Got 4 of the 6 UK NGPC colours
What 2 are you missing?

The Angry Jock

Post by The Angry Jock » Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:42 pm

Silver and Anthracite, looking for boxed ones though.
Retropassion reborn
sscott wrote:I fuck1n love the fuck1n Internet and all its fuckin fu(kball opinions. I fuck1n like this fuk(her, I don't fuccckin like this fuckeeer. It's not out yet, that isn't gonna gonna stop me! No sir! and so onnnnnnnnnn........

stvd

Post by stvd » Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:52 pm

OK, I only had loose silver, blue and Aqua Camo. Left myself with a boxed, never used clear version though. :)

HEAVYface

Post by HEAVYface » Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:59 pm

i have a super famicom and bought the junior model because it looked cool, even though it didn't support rgb out.
got a derby stallion saturn because its see through and looks the biz, and wanted a backup in case my white saturn goes kaput. i want to get a second neo geo aes because of the very same reason.

i really like old hardware its just really expensive to get all the variants, especially japanese versions. i'd like a japanese purple see through n64 to go with my red one, just for sh1ts and giggles.

thinking about it, its pretty sad actually.

oh yeah, i've got two gamecubes one black, one purple. the orange one looks nice and tempting. and an old style and mini psone. god.

rtrgrl78

Post by rtrgrl78 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:09 pm

Does wanting the 'Guitar Hero' Arcade game count? or is that going a bit far? :D Wonder though, that would sound immense in a house enviroment though.

Lentini2001

Post by Lentini2001 » Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:17 am

I have 3 different coloured Gamecubes and I dont know why.

The Angry Jock

Post by The Angry Jock » Sun Aug 29, 2010 3:41 pm

Because they're art?
Retropassion reborn

Lentini2001

Post by Lentini2001 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:44 am

Wouldn't go that far!

TheGamingEnigma

Post by TheGamingEnigma » Sat Sep 04, 2010 6:02 pm

I have a black (or charcoal, whichever you prefer) N64, and two aqua blue machines (one boxed although the box is pretty tatty :( ) and one unboxed.

The unboxed aqua one I picked up for only 99p! Score! Didn't have a controller though, but I'm gonna try and get one off ebay next month. I consider it my spare machine to have in another room!