What Comics did you read as a kid?

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Liamh1982

Re: What Comics did you read as a kid?

Post by Liamh1982 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:58 am

Try spelling it with one 'z'... My memory's a bit hazy and I only bought one issue, from John Menzies in '94 I think. Liked it though.

Morkin

Post by Morkin » Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:15 am

I managed to pick up Football's Comic Book Heroes: Celebrating the Greatest British Football Comics of the Twentieth Century for £4.99 this morning from The Works, which is £10.49 at Amazon. I'm not a fan of football, but I couldn't resist for a fiver.

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:17 am

Liamh1982 wrote:Try spelling it with one 'z'... My memory's a bit hazy and I only bought one issue, from John Menzies in '94 I think. Liked it though.
Hmm, this is all I can find:
http://www.britishcomics.com/fizog.htm
Sound good though, something for eBay.
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

Morkin

Post by Morkin » Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:43 am

I see that Crikey! has come to an end. :(
They say a picture tells a thousand words - well, the cover of Crikey! 16 tells the whole story.

This is the last Crikey!…a sad day, but the show is over.

In Crikey! 16 we have an exclusive interview with none other than 2000AD artist Mick McMahon, we take a peek at the 'Look-In' strip you never saw, Ian Wheeler shares his thoughts on 'Action Force' and Rab Smith entertains us with a nostalgic look at 'I SPY'. Andrew Edwards heads down memory lane with 'The Bojeffries Saga', Cranston McMillan speaks softly about his Grandma and Glenn B Fleming gives us his tribute to the late Joe Colquhoun. More? Well, apart from the four extra pages we've thrown in at no extra cost, Tony Ingram is caught on his knees again looking through a certain lady's keyhole before setting a few things straight with Rogue Trooper. Jamie Hailstone remembers Stingray in TV Century 21. Stephen Hooker makes his scripting debut with a little ditty featuring our favourite English writer Alan Moore (only for fun, Alan!) - Glenn B Fleming handles the art on that one. John Devaney concludes his 'Spooks' feature and Tony pops up again with the latest report on the 20th century's least favourite dictator, Adolph Whatshisname. Hatch looks like he's heading for trouble as usual but…he may be appearing in other places soon, so watch this space…

You can still reach us through the website - so let us know your thoughts on all things Crikey!, and, of course, the forum is still up and running (and will continue to do so) so check that out and join in the fun and debate! Should you wish to purchase them, a few back issues of Crikey! remain, so get in touch with what you would like - though I can't guarantee we still have them all.

And that's it. It's been a blast and I'd like to thanks all our readers, supporters and people who have contributed to Crikey! over the past few years. Maybe we'll see each other again …sooner than you think!!

Glenn B Fleming, Publisher.

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:34 am

Yep, that description of Fizog sounds about right, a twisted halfway house between the Beano and Viz with a bit of the old TV show Round The Bend thrown in.

Here's another one for you - The Bog Paper (or was it The Toilet Paper... I really should Google these things before I post but I can't be bothered).
Another bizarre early 90s comic that again failed to make the distance.

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:20 pm

I've got the first three issues of The Bog Roll, it's alright - just that EVERY story revolves around toilets. Not poo or farting, just toilets. There's one funny character who always leaves the house after being warned by his mum not to bring any more toilets home, and naturally he'll win a competition that gets him a hundred new toilets or something. Not really worth hunting down, but a nice curio.

That's really sad news about Crikey, I didn't even know they had a forum!
Luckily there's a fair few issues I haven't got, and the comic shop I frequent has a lot of them, so there's still plenty to read.

I blame Forbidden Planet for Crikey's demise, they've stopped stocking fanzines and independent publications for some odd reason.
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

Morkin

Post by Morkin » Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:13 am

TwoHeadedBoy wrote:I've got the first three issues of The Bog Roll, it's alright - just that EVERY story revolves around toilets.
No way I'm going to check that comic out. I already suffer from recurring dreams about toilets. :(
TwoHeadedBoy wrote:
That's really sad news about Crikey, I didn't even know they had a forum!
Luckily there's a fair few issues I haven't got, and the comic shop I frequent has a lot of them, so there's still plenty to read.
I've still got to pick up a few issues as well from eBay. I was going to get them direct from the site, but it looks like that option has been removed.

PanzerGeneral

Post by PanzerGeneral » Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:49 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:Marvel Star Wars, for the original contradictory EU that was stomped all over by the remaining sequels and prequels. Still good fun though.
I used to get it every week - then it turned into a monthly after the Empire strikes back, then it went back to a weekly.
One story of particlar note was one that was entirely devoted to Vader called "Dark lord's gambit", another was the last Jedi - most of the stories tended to be a bit lightweight and throwaway but these two were good, particularly Dark lord's gambit - it shows quite spectacularly why you dont mess with the man in black.

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Sat Aug 21, 2010 6:38 pm

Lode Runner Comic
Some Horror comic with a lift maybe called 13th floor, and one about some kid who wanted to live in Ghost House
Beano
The one with the Elephant
Sonic the Comic but I was older then
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Sat Aug 21, 2010 6:41 pm

13th Floor? Eagle or scream? think it appeared in eagle after scream went under.going off memory here-Had computer called Max? Used to punish Bad guys by making nightmares appear real.

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Sat Aug 21, 2010 6:47 pm

Just had look in my eagle comics-1984 The 13th Floor is there. Computer is max.Had 'face' on the screen-Building computer at Maxwell tower-Stories seem to revolve around him punishing/scaring the wits out of bad guys, whilst he called the old bill, so by time they arrived, bad guys would be ready to be locked up, anything to escape the madness.

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:17 pm

Shinobi wrote: The one with the Elephant
Interesting... Care to elaborate?

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Sun Aug 22, 2010 1:03 pm

thevulture wrote:13th Floor? Eagle or scream? think it appeared in eagle after scream went under.going off memory here-Had computer called Max? Used to punish Bad guys by making nightmares appear real.

I believe it was 'Scream' as it came with Dracula plastic teeth, I remember it being really evil back then and must have blanked it from my mind :lol:

The first story was about Dracula in a Hospital, as he turned the Nurse into a Vampire or servant, and Van Helsing was hunting him

The second was that kid who like ghost trains and his house got turned into a Horror Crypt, I'm sure his parents had Skeleton faces at the ending and he was just in the corner rocking back and for crying..

The 13th floor I remember was in a hotel and all the Scumbags used to end up the the 13th floor.. I remember the 13th floor looking all rotting like Silent hillesque..

I remember Doomlord in Eagle he used to scare me as well.. Evil looking guy in a rubber mask.. I have a picture of me as a kid in Blackpool with a Marvel equivalent of 'Scream'

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Sun Aug 22, 2010 1:13 pm

TwoHeadedBoy wrote:
Shinobi wrote: The one with the Elephant
Interesting... Care to elaborate?
It may have been called Play Skools and had multiple story's.. Including a talking Guinea Pig called 'Gullivere, and a seven dwarfs rip off with some girl with a magic Poncho, the bad guy was a Clown who used to make the kids cry.. Can't remember much about the talking Elephant other than it was the main story.

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:16 pm

Sounds bizarre!
Yet also oddly familiar, a tiny little glimmer in the darkest corners of my memory. Love to know what it was called.