Syndicate

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Antiriad2097

Re: Syndicate

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:27 am

imaxeroker85 wrote:I'm pretty wure, this is the same Syndicate on the EA Replay PSP game? , I couldnt figure out what to do....just kept waling my 4 guys into a building and the never came out.... :oops:
The EA Replay one is the ropey Mega Drive version iirc. It really needs mouse support.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

cruachan

Post by cruachan » Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:28 am

Oh - one of my favourite games ever. I have so many memories of this game. One memory I have was being really ill and in bed - my caring older brother decided he fancied a game of it and played it for a few hours while I lay in bed - remember the throbbing noise of the city???? (on amiga version anyway) I started hallucinating to that sound haha.

I remember the last level - when laods of agents immediately start running towards you - very hard but I completed it :-)

Kilb

Post by Kilb » Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:46 am

necronom

Syndicate was excellent. I finished it on my Amiga, though I'm sure nothing happened when I did the last mission. It just returned to the map. Maybe I had a bad copy.
Wasn't there a kinda demo version bundled with the Amiga? I know my version does not play the cut scenes but I was never good enough (even with cheats) to reach the last level and survive

Freestyler

Post by Freestyler » Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:56 am

I don't play games of this type without a mouse. There's no exception.
It's just far too much of a slog. No matter how the developers try to get it to work with joypads.
Freestyler: A customer that's too hard to please, complains all the time and wants everything for next to nothing.

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:20 am

Yeah love Syndicate. One of Bullfrog's best games. My brother had it for his Amiga, and I got the PC version about a year later(it was the CD ROM one with The American Revolt expansion pack included as well). Loved the gauss guns and flamethrowers in it! I also love how the cities were made with all the hover cars and the monorails.

I think a key to winning a lot of the missions was just developing the technology and then just drugging your agents to make them hyper! I love the persudatron in this game as well!

I think I made it up to the final level, but never could complete it. Those guys running towards is mad! Very similar to a level on Bullfrog's other game Dungeon Keeper where you get rushed by enemies!!

Did anyone complete the American Revolt Expansion pack? I think that was meant to be really hard! I see it had multiplayer on it. sadly I never played it.

I did get the sequel Syndicate Wars for the PC. It was quite good but for some reason didn't quite match up to the original. I love the deathmatch in the game through!

The version of Syndicate on the PSP looks and plays badly. You really need a mouse for this game, but also the isometric on it doesn't seem right.

Freestyler

Post by Freestyler » Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:06 pm

Katzkatz wrote:Did anyone complete the American Revolt Expansion pack? I think that was meant to be really hard! I see it had multiplayer on it. sadly I never played it.
INSANELY difficult. Enough to actually put me off buying Syndicate Wars on PC.
Time's ripe for a reboot I reckon.
Freestyler: A customer that's too hard to please, complains all the time and wants everything for next to nothing.

Fred83

Post by Fred83 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:18 pm

Anyone remember the cool intro in the game?

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:21 pm

Freestyler wrote:I don't play games of this type without a mouse. There's no exception.
It's just far too much of a slog. No matter how the developers try to get it to work with joypads.
and with a console mouse ?
the snes and megadrive both had one
hey wait ! i got a new complaint !

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:33 pm

snowkatt wrote:
Freestyler wrote:I don't play games of this type without a mouse. There's no exception.
Does Syndicate support it on those systems, or is it pad only? I've got a SNES mouse but it doesn't see much use.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:57 am

1st saw it Previewed in ACE magazine (went under name of B.O.B then i believe).1st played it on the Atari Jaguar.Bloody amazing. Hated the look of the MD/Snes versions, so much so, Never even tried it on the E.A collection on the PSP. Syndicate wars was even better, Aged badly now, but at the time?Ooozed with atmosphere.I too never managed the last mission, on the moon, uber hard.

knight76

Post by knight76 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:27 am

Selected!

This is one of those games I frequently return to when I get my Retro PC gaming hat on. Love the Gauss gun, setting up parked cars and destroying them with the gauss gun, top fun. And the Persuader, walking around with a hoard of civies following along, all picking up weapons to aid my cause.

Such a visionary game.

Freestyler

Post by Freestyler » Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:36 am

snowkatt wrote:
As long as games of this ilk are supported by Mouse then I'm happy to give them a go.

Trying to use a joypad for fine selection is far too annoying for me. I've even steered clear of Halo Wars on X360 because of it, even though it's reputed to be easy to play with a pad. I'm not convinced enough.

Games like Oblivion are passable on pad (even if the menus drive you mad, having to pad-scroll through hundreds of items when drag-and-click mouse control would trivialise it) but other genres are brought to their knees. I tried playing a few Point-and-Click Adventure games on my PSP through ScummVM, but it's an absolute nightmare. You don't realise how natural a Mouse fits with certain games until it's gone. :cry:

All's not lost on the ScummVM front though. I hear the Wii version is quite intuitive with the Wiimote controller...

malekith1979

Post by malekith1979 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:32 pm

Loved the Amiga version. Got it with my A1200. Never completed it though, insanely hard last level on the mid Atlantic rig thing! Even if I used the "Marks Team" cheat (remember that?). It ruined the actual game but made it quite fun. Never had the expansion pack. Didn't care much for the Megadrive version. Found the PS1 Syndicate Wars very fiddly, but loved the way the Church of the Seventh Epoch (is that right?) agents floated with billowing capes when running!

Freestyler

Post by Freestyler » Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:37 am

malekith1979 wrote:Loved the Amiga version. Got it with my A1200. Never completed it though, insanely hard last level on the mid Atlantic rig thing! Even if I used the "Marks Team" cheat (remember that?). It ruined the actual game but made it quite fun. Never had the expansion pack. Didn't care much for the Megadrive version. Found the PS1 Syndicate Wars very fiddly, but loved the way the Church of the Seventh Epoch (is that right?) agents floated with billowing capes when running!
My "Exploding Agents" trick )each armed with a Medi-Pack) helps enormously on that level, as does some hyped-up Perception long range shooting. :lol: