Official feedback thread for Retro Gamer 79

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Havantgottaclue

Re: Official feedback thread for Retro Gamer 79

Post by Havantgottaclue » Sun Jul 25, 2010 7:23 am

I agree with Hydrox. If your average game is considered to be 70% good by the reviewers, you'd expect 70% to be the average mark given to a game.
Soon you will have forgotten all things: soon all things will have forgotten you. (Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, Book 7)

NorthWay

Post by NorthWay » Sun Jul 25, 2010 3:07 pm

: You have 10 games. They will get the scores 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 if they were all reviewed. Average score 5/10 (ok, 5.5/10 then). The 5/10 game is considered "average".
You have limited space in your magazine so you only review 4 of them. You pick (from expectation/previews/reputation) the 8 9 10 and the 3(that is a big name/production/license/developer that everyone had high hopes for). Average score 7.5/10.

My point: If you have space to review everything the average score for a game will be 5/10. If you cherrypick your games the average score _you_give_ will get closer to 7/10.

About cherrypicking: Do you want to write about games you expect to be good or bad? Do you think writing about games "the public" expects to be good will sell more magazines than writing about expected bad ones?

Addendum: A funny thing happens at the end of a machine's lifecycle (IMO) - the games magically seems to be getting better. At least from the review scores. Same thing going on - negative thinking does not sell, welcome to happyhappy-land.

(P.S I saw the author of King of Chicago posting on /. today)

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Sun Jul 25, 2010 3:08 pm

thevulture wrote:from a professional point of view (IF you don`t mind me asking) WHAT are the key elements you look for in ANY game?
For me, fun beats everything. Usability is also hugely important, followed by longevity and aesthetics.
Do things such as it being a port and not really using machines strengths effect review scores?
If something's a port, I don't care. Using a machine's strengths also isn't terribly important. Drop7 remains for me, one of the top-five iOS games, and that barely makes even a first-gen iOS device sweat, and it could have worked fine on a ZX Spectrum. However, if a port is smashed into a platform in an unsuitable way, that can cause problems, but that usually means it stumbles on my 'usability' breakpoint.
Just curious as to how 'The industry' people, approach a game for review.Also, just how long is a game given for a review?
Generally speaking, not as long as you'd like—and the same goes for most reviews on most things. There simply isn't the money, and most people these days are freelancers, and not salaried employees. The majority of time when you hear people talking about playing a game for weeks, they're either lying or they are doing so in their own time. With any game that scores under, say, 7/10, they're therefore bonkers, masochistic or both if they're not lying.

Of course, the great thing about the majority of iOS games (and those for other mobile/virtual console platforms) is you can get under their skin very quickly and figure out if they're any good or not. That said, mistakes can still be made, such as when I reviewed Bit Pilot for iPhoneTiny and then decided to up the rating a couple of weeks later.
Lot of stuff i ended up loving, i LOATHED on 1st play, did`nt touch for weeks, then returned to it, something clicked, totally different view.
Which is precisely why I wish publications AND readers would stop having such a hard-on for exclusives. These cause reviewers to have to rush, often with incomplete code. If games mags reviewed stuff when they were ready, things would be better for everyone. Well, apart from the publishers, since it'd be a total nightmare for them!
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

Gabe

Post by Gabe » Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:36 pm

CraigGrannell wrote:@thevulture: My all-time favourite review system was the one Melody Maker had when I was at uni in the mid-1990s. No scores at all, but good stuff was badged 'recommended' and great stuff 'bloody essential'. Shockingly, this meant people actually had to read the reviews, rather than rely on a rating.
Just to pick up on this, I totally disagree with you here. How is having something listed as "recommended" or "bloody essential" NOT relying on a rating? Of course it is. That is just a valuable as 7 or 9 in score-land. If you see something that is rated as 'bloody essential', why does that mean you would need to read the review any more than seeing a 9 would?

Havantgottaclue

Post by Havantgottaclue » Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:02 pm

NorthWay wrote:: You have 10 games. They will get the scores 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 if they were all reviewed. Average score 5/10 (ok, 5.5/10 then). The 5/10 game is considered "average".
You have limited space in your magazine so you only review 4 of them. You pick (from expectation/previews/reputation) the 8 9 10 and the 3(that is a big name/production/license/developer that everyone had high hopes for). Average score 7.5/10.

My point: If you have space to review everything the average score for a game will be 5/10. If you cherrypick your games the average score _you_give_ will get closer to 7/10.
I think if I were a publisher I would want to know why my game got 5/10, and I'd take it pretty literally - I'd be saying to the reviewer - so for every 5 things the game got right, it got 5 wrong, yes? And I think I would be annoyed if a reviewer said to me, "actually I'd say it got closer to 7 things right for 3 things wrong, but since that's the way with most games, I gave it 5/10." The reason I'd be annoyed is because I would want the review to judge my game on its own merits, not by some kind of abstract ideal.

I must admit I have no real problem with a game getting 100% really. Reviews are subjective anyway so anything from 95% upwards is pretty much of a muchness, it is going to be nigh on flawless. And if a reviewer says it's the best game they've seen in 20+ years, why not eh?
Soon you will have forgotten all things: soon all things will have forgotten you. (Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, Book 7)

killermike

Post by killermike » Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:55 am

@The Master re: Superior Software

Thanks for the kind remarks and the same to others who commented on it. It did chafe a bit that it didn't make the cover, but being fair, I suppose the guys have to consider what will bring in the most punters. No one can really complain as they did commission it and gave it six full pages to something that frankly isn't going to have the same draw as a massive console franchise.

Thanks again.
Michael Reed freelance writer - http://www.unmusic.co.uk/

stvd

Post by stvd » Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:05 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I personally don't see 100% as equalling perfection.........I just see it as being the highest score a game can achieve on a percentile rating.
Yup, perfection. :lol:

rinzwind

Post by rinzwind » Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:06 pm

Was MSX already covered in an issue?
If not, it's about time!

Duddyroar

Post by Duddyroar » Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:26 pm

Yep, a few issues ago. Ashley Day did an excellent feature on it.

yoshi8

Post by yoshi8 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:33 pm

I get home after a long day at work with the latest copy of my fav mag retro gamer. I take a chair into the garden, pour myself a glass of white wine (Chablis if feeling flush) and read the magazine from cover to cover....bliss!

All Retro mag needs to improve is start sticking free stuff on the cover like a Sinclair Spectrum bookmark or something.

Cool one!

NorthWay

Post by NorthWay » Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:27 pm

I have no qualms about giving a game 100% if there are no obvious faults that can be pointed out immediately.
100% is just about right here, right now anyway. Another better, richer, smarter, bigger game can come along and be obviously better than your 100% of yesterday, but so what - if you have a crystal ball to look into the future you wouldn't worry about game ratings.

hydr0x

Post by hydr0x » Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:19 am

yoshi8 wrote:I take a chair into the garden, pour myself a glass of white wine (Chablis if feeling flush) and read the magazine from cover to cover....bliss!
Why do people keep saying this? Okay, I'm not a native speaker but I'm pretty sure it's impossible to actually read the whole mag in anything even close to 3 or 4 hours. Unless you apply speed reading techniques which beats the whole purpose of reading this mag.

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:25 am

I've got issues of RG that I still haven't read. I never read them from cover to cover, just dip in and out when I want. I never want the Retro-ness to end.

On buying the latest issue from WHSmith the lad serving said "Whooaa old school". And then told me that the first game he ever played was on the Atari Jaguar. I didn't know what to make of it all. He didn't LOOK that young - maybe he just didn't play games when he was a kid. I'm still confused about the whole exchange.
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

rolan

Post by rolan » Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:19 am

Great stuff a nice mix of consoles (yay) and home computers (zzz) to keep all sections of the readership happy. Nice one. Loved the rainbow islands feature it made me go out and get the Pc engine version :)

Stuart@retrogamer

Post by Stuart@retrogamer » Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:08 am

Introducing a strategy guide-type feature to the mag is something Darran and I have been discussing for a while, so it’s especially pleasing to hear the Ultimate Guide is proving popular.

Flicking though some old game mags for inspiration last month, at one stage we actually considered naming it the Super Mega Guide. Thank god we came to our senses.

Funny though, I remember us thinking it was the greatest idea in the world at the time.