British comics

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

TheBoingoBandit

British comics

Post by TheBoingoBandit » Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:01 pm

Thought some of you may be interested in this website and forum I found today about the history of British comics:

http://www.comicsuk.co.uk/

Sputryk

Re: British comics

Post by Sputryk » Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:16 pm

Father got me Victor every week during the late 70's (brothers got Dandy and Beano). Did read other comics during those formative years, but nothing ever came close to Victor's 'The Rafferty Plan' which started with the first Victor I was given, issue 1000. Was riveted 'til the end, and very annoyed that I missed an issue along the way. Would be interested to read what this site has to say about Victor. Stopped reading comics after only a few years having gotten into Dr Who and Hardy Boys books (and I still have all those. Pity I gave away all the Victory as I'd love to re-read TRP).

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:01 pm

Yeah, been to that site before. It's ugly, but nice.

There's a magazine/fanzine type of thing I get every so often called Crikey! which is all about British comics, and very nice it is too. The latest one has an interview with Lew Stringer, who did Tom Thug for Oink (and later Buster) amongst other things.
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

Kaptain_Von

Post by Kaptain_Von » Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:00 am

It's not a bad site although it could do with work on some of the presentation. However, for information on all the various comics it is an excellent read.

If anyone is interested in the Commando/War Picture Library/Air Ace/Battle Picture Library style comics then I can recommend 'Where Eagles Dare' and the 'British Picture Libraries' pages at:

http://www.whereeaglesdare.eu/

and

http://www.britishcomics.20m.com/pocket.htm
Cue the music, fade to black...
----------------------------------------------------------
http://kaptainskonfessions.blogspot.com/

Morkin

Post by Morkin » Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:51 pm

TwoHeadedBoy wrote:
There's a magazine/fanzine type of thing I get every so often called Crikey! which is all about British comics, and very nice it is too. The latest one has an interview with Lew Stringer, who did Tom Thug for Oink (and later Buster) amongst other things.
I also get that magazine from time to time & it's a nice read, although I only know of the favourites such as Whizzer & Chips/The Beano/The Dandy.

StickHead

Post by StickHead » Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:45 pm

Long time British comic artist Lew Stringer's blog is a good read. He's always banging on about classic comics.

http://lewstringer.blogspot.com/
The Joy of STicks - YouTube - Blog - Twitter - Facebook
New Developments and old inspirations in Atari ST gaming.

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:31 am

Well, thanks to you posting Lew Stringer's blog (which I was unaware of), I have just ordered a year-long subscription to Classics From The Comics (which I was unaware was still being published). Yay!
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

Morkin

Post by Morkin » Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:47 am

I love Lew's blog. I've bought at least half a dozen books that he's blogged about over the past six months or so. I'm also a huge fan of Classics From The Comics - been buying it for well over 18 months now. Wonderful comic strips that always make me smile.

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:04 pm

I wonder...

Been meaning to ask an American if they have ANY idea of what the Beano is - if it has any place in popular culture over there. If they're aware that there's another Dennis The Menace (both Dennis's debuted on exactly the same date, coincidentally). If they know of the Bash Street Kids or Minnie The Minx or Roger The Dodger or Little Plum or Lord Snooty or Calamity James or Les Pretend or Ivy The Terrible or Billy Whizz... Be interesting to know, probably.

joefish

Post by joefish » Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:56 pm

Pathetically short list of comics on that site. Nothing I ever had is on there! Presumably one person's very narrow view of British comics.
Where's Speed, TV Comic, either version of Eagle, Whizzer & Chips, Starblazer?

parappa

Post by parappa » Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:21 pm

There was an artice on cracked.com about the two Dennises and the USA writer said he thought Beano Dennis was like a dark reboot of Calvin and Hobbes which made me laugh.

MattyC64c

Post by MattyC64c » Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:52 am

I still like to get the little Commando comics when I see them in my local WH Smiths now and then.

parappa

Post by parappa » Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:54 am

I hear theres a Rogue Trooper film being made.

Morkin

Post by Morkin » Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:02 pm

Anyone picked up Strip magazine? I've just placed an order with Forbidden Planet.

http://stripcomicmagazineuk.blogspot.com/

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:40 pm

I've been waiting for that, thanks for the heads up.
Splink!