The forum style-sheet

Pitch your ideas and suggestions for Retro Gamer Magazine here.

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

AdamDawes

The forum style-sheet

Post by AdamDawes » Thu Dec 01, 2005 3:17 pm

I have to say, I do like the presentation of the new RG forum. However the one thing that I don't like about it is that it's quite hard to see where each post starts and finishes.

Is there any chance that whoever works on the style-sheet could make a slight modification to make the posts easier to visually separate? Perhaps something like in this picture (which I've made the horizontal bars between each post darker):

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:00 pm

Any idea what these bars are called? Then I can look into it

Regards,
Darran

AdamDawes

Post by AdamDawes » Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:20 pm

Actually, yes -- they're extremely easy to change.

At the top of each page is a big chunk of CSS mark-up, which defines the colours and presentation of the whole page. One of the sections is as follows:

Code: Select all

td.row3Right,td.spaceRow {
	background-color: #F5F5F5; border: #FFFFFF; border-style: solid;
}
If this is changed as follows:

Code: Select all

td.row3Right,td.spaceRow {
	background-color: #CCCCCC; border: #FFFFFF; border-style: solid;
}
(i.e., change the #F5F5F5 to #CCCCCC) then it looks virtually identical to my mock-up screenshot.

Hope that helps?

andy vaisey

Post by andy vaisey » Thu Dec 01, 2005 6:13 pm

That would be excellent - things are a bit squished up at the mo.

Also, some of your (lovely) .gif buttons have white borders - some transparency is needed??

necronom

Post by necronom » Fri Dec 02, 2005 12:41 pm

On a related topic, could the colour of the scroll bar be changed so we can see it. At home this isn't a problem, but at work I don't have scroll wheel on my mouse. When I want to scroll down I miss the bar, and I end up jumping screens at a time. Most annoying.

AdamDawes

Post by AdamDawes » Mon Dec 05, 2005 9:00 am

That's much better -- thanks :)

necronom

Post by necronom » Mon Dec 05, 2005 9:33 am

Yep, that's better.

My avatar was deleted from my profile, but I've just uploaded it again and it's back. It looks like a lot were Zzap'd (couldn't resist) when the change was done.

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Wed Dec 07, 2005 2:18 pm

One other thing about the style sheet—can someone change it so that the links actually stand out? It's really bloody annoying that links are styled in EXACTLY the same way as body copy, so you can't differentiate the two. Is this text a link? Who knows? You won't until you mouse over it.

If I wasn't overdosing on web tutorials at the mo' (those nasty Christmas deadlines—aaarrgghhh!) I'd go into *hulk smash* mode or something.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

Ciaran

Re:

Post by Ciaran » Sat Dec 31, 2005 9:30 pm

CraigGrannell wrote:One other thing about the style sheet—can someone change it so that the links actually stand out? It's really bloody annoying that links are styled in EXACTLY the same way as body copy, so you can't differentiate the two. Is this text a link? Who knows? You won't until you mouse over it.

If I wasn't overdosing on web tutorials at the mo' (those nasty Christmas deadlines—aaarrgghhh!) I'd go into *hulk smash* mode or something.
Yes, please. (that is, to the style sheet change for URLs, not to you going into *hulk smash* mode ;-)) It's irritating for me that I can't see links at all in the text. As a result, when I've been putting URLs in my text, I've been making sure to put them in bold like this so there's at least some chance of them being seen. I'd use underline but I have a phobia towards U tags. ;p

But yeah, underlining the links properly would be the best thing to do.

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Sat Dec 31, 2005 10:12 pm

Oh, man! And I so wanted to go into *hulk smash* mode. Ah well—happy new year to everyone here! :)
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com