The 8-bit GAME COMPARISON Thread

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

necronom

Re:

Post by necronom » Tue Oct 31, 2006 4:04 pm

Scooby1970 wrote:Mmmmm.... funny really, cos the C64 picture I have done on my little review looks exactly like the real C64 colours in the game on my TV... Sure you not "tweaked" those two pics ;)
Tweaked? One is straight from Gamebase, which is as "official" as I can think of, and the other is from WinVice using the palette I made that is very close to what I see on my TV/C64.

It looks like you have the brightness low, if that is how it looks on your real C64. Mine is brighter than that.

It's no problem if that's how you like it, but to complain that the colours are a bit drab when it's using pretty much all the C64 colours points to a bad palette or TV setup.

Scooby1970

Re:

Post by Scooby1970 » Tue Oct 31, 2006 4:08 pm

necronom wrote:It's no problem if that's how you like it, but to complain that the colours are a bit drab when it's using pretty much all the C64 colours points to a bad palette or TV setup.
Or points to the fact that even a C64 user like myself realises that the C64 colour palette has always been drab??? Especially compared to such a great machine as the CPC... Not too worry.

:) Mark
http://twitter.com/markyboyo
PS3, 360, PS2, PS1, PSP, Wii, DC, Saturn, Megadrive, GBA, DS & more!

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Tue Oct 31, 2006 4:20 pm

I thought this thread was supposed to avoid all the 'mines bigger than yours' stuff :wink:

Scooby1970

Re:

Post by Scooby1970 » Tue Oct 31, 2006 4:41 pm

SirClive wrote:I thought this thread was supposed to avoid all the 'mines bigger than yours' stuff :wink:
You're right... Sorry about the remark about the CPC, we all knew that anyways :) But COME ON!!!! Since when did the C64 ever have bright/colourful colours? Never! Unless of course your colour is turned up high on your TV to imitate other machines. God! If there's one thing C64 owners complained of during the "days" it was the fact that their colour scheme was "lacking".

Anyways... back to comparing the games... Lets start another thread to discuss colours if we have to.

;) Mark

StarEye

Post by StarEye » Tue Oct 31, 2006 4:56 pm

I thought the "lacking colours" in the Arkanoid screenshots looked better than the overly colourful versions. Looked much cleaner and not so hard on the eyes.

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Tue Oct 31, 2006 6:19 pm

Target Renegade

This game from Imagine is the spiritual successor to the arcade hit Renegade (though I don't believe it was ever a coin op itself). It takes the fighting game into the gritty reality of a downtown district and has you fighting in such glamorous locations as a multi-storey car park and a pool hall. Along the way you are able to pick up playfull little weapons like a lump hammer and a pool cue. Pleasant!

All 3 versions are quite different and quite similar at the same time.

Amstrad
What imediately hits you is the lack of a title screen. You get a simple grey screen with a list of options.
When the game starts you get an OK theme tune that is played in nice soft notes. It does tend to grate after a while though. The punching sounds are very basic, but at least functional.
The graphics for the CPC version are by far the worst of the 3 (its a pity that the small screen doesn't show how truly awful they are) and automatically remove the right for any Amstrad owner to call the C64 blocky. This looks like it is made from Lego and really does detract from the overall feel. The levels do not scroll which can be quite disorienting when the screen flips.
The gameplay however is pretty good and worth persevering with.

Commodore
The same dull title screen and the same music are presented to you, but I do think that the harsh tones of the SID chip detract from this tune.
The graphics are very different to the CPC version and are nicely drawn with the bikers riding impressive drop handled motor bike. There is a great touch with the eyes below the play area that feel every blow that you take. The levels scroll nicely so avoid the flip effect of the CPC.
This game is great to look at, but you should really stop there.
The gameplay is missing completely and it feels like you cannot land a kick or punch. The ingame sound effects have gone missing, which loses the satisfaction of a thwack when you finally do manage to lay a hand on the bad guys. Overall this is a look but don't touch affair.

Spectrum
I don't want to get a reputation for biased comparisons (read some of my others and you will see the C64 easilly beating the Speccy a couple of times), but this version is just better at everything.
The same dull title screen is there, but this time it is a black screen with some colourful lettering, making it look a bit more inviting.
The ingame music is the same as the other 2, but closer to the amstrads smoothness and the sound effects do the job well.
The graphics though are fantastic and depict the hero not as a long haired rambo wannabe (C64) or something picasso threw up (CPC), but as a 50's styled rocker, with an elvis haircut and turned up jeans. He is bigger than the other versions and the inner city locations really suite the monochrome presentation. The overall feel of the speccy is very British as opposed to the C64's American feel and the Amstrads Legoland.
The gameplay is also spot on for the Speccy, with smooth scrolling and fair fights you really want to continue.

Overall

1st - Spectrum - Great looking and great to play. A gem.

2ns Amstrad - Shitty looking, but good to play.

3rd - Commodore - Great Looking, but shitty's ugly sister to play.

Now what ever happened to the remake some forum guy was making a while back?

batman877

Re:

Post by batman877 » Thu Nov 02, 2006 5:14 pm

SirClive wrote:Target Renegade

Overall

1st - Spectrum - Great looking and great to play. A gem.

2ns Amstrad - Shitty looking, but good to play.

3rd - Commodore - Great Looking, but shitty's ugly sister to play.
Agree with your comments about the C64 version, but I must disagree with the rest. The spectrum graphics, whilst nicely drawn, lack the smooth animation of the CPC version and the controls are not as responsive. The amount of times I tried to time a punch correctly and failed annoyed me. The Amstrad version does have ridiculously blocky graphics but they move so fluidly and the controls are much more precise. Apart from the blocky graphics, the only other criticism I'd have of the CPC version is that it takes too long for your character to get up once he's been knocked down, which can get frustrating when you want to continue fighting!

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Thu Nov 02, 2006 6:32 pm

Should be one from me soon! Just played on an Amstrad emu - bloody pain to get the game running!
Speccy Emu will not play the bloody game - so off to DL another one.... what is the best speccy emu?
C64 is a piece of hiss to run!
Atari 8bit is the next to try!

But what is the game????????????

paranoid marvin

Re:

Post by paranoid marvin » Thu Nov 02, 2006 6:57 pm

markopoloman wrote:Should be one from me soon! Just played on an Amstrad emu - bloody pain to get the game running!
Speccy Emu will not play the bloody game - so off to DL another one.... what is the best speccy emu?

We may be able to try them all on our Wiis one day..
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

markopoloman

Re:

Post by markopoloman » Thu Nov 02, 2006 7:16 pm

paranoid marvin wrote:
markopoloman wrote:Should be one from me soon! Just played on an Amstrad emu - bloody pain to get the game running!

We may be able to try them all on our Wiis one day..
I'd Wii on a speccy or amstrad anyday! :shock: :lol:

SirClive

Re:

Post by SirClive » Fri Nov 03, 2006 2:16 am

I use EmuZwin and finid it really good.

Belgarath

Post by Belgarath » Fri Nov 03, 2006 6:45 am

EmuZWin is my Spectrum emu of choice as well.

Mayhem

Re:

Post by Mayhem » Fri Nov 03, 2006 7:55 am

Scooby1970 wrote:Since when did the C64 ever have bright/colourful colours?
Well it managed to produce them from somewhere for this game at least ;)

http://www.lemon64.com/games/details.php?ID=1625
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Scooby1970

Re:

Post by Scooby1970 » Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:24 am

Mayhem wrote:
Scooby1970 wrote:Since when did the C64 ever have bright/colourful colours?
Well it managed to produce them from somewhere for this game at least ;)

http://www.lemon64.com/games/details.php?ID=1625
Yes, apart from that game which I brought up on CPC Zone a short while back. A truley excellent C64 game :) I was impressed, even if some of the die-hard CPCer's weren't!

:) Mark

forestville

Post by forestville » Fri Nov 03, 2006 11:56 am

cybernoid

zx spectrum version: good mix of colour, typical good graphic for the speccy

cpc version is colurful but a bit blocky, still very good graphics

the c64 version has the better graphics, looking organic and metallic in places

8) 8)
Press play on tape