Official Feedback Thread - Issue 78

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Lentini2001

Re: Feedback Issue 78

Post by Lentini2001 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:17 pm

My kind of issue this month, got it today, looks like theres loads to read.

martin_lovick

Post by martin_lovick » Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:47 pm

Top week!

NIN AVOTT in the post yesterday

RG78 in the post today

1-0 in the footy

glastonbury tomorrow

SCORE!
Have you played Atari Today?

ebay stuff for sale http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/martin_lovick/m.html

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:09 pm

Great to see Rockstar in the mag , always think of that as a 'gamer's game' , not particularly remembered as a great game by any stretch of the imagination , but fondly recalled by - I would say - most gamers of the period. One of those games which didn't excell in any one area (in fact it had many negative points) by has that certain X-factor that makes it inifinitely re-playable. I guess it wouldnt get into many gamer's top 10 , but I would hazard a guess that it WOULD get into most people's top 100 , which in some ways is a bigger tribute to the mark it left on gamers.

A long way round of saying thanks Darran! :D
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Fred83

Re: Official Feedback Thread - Issue 78

Post by Fred83 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:15 pm

im glad the game got coverage,oh and did anyone ever finish it,i never seen the ending :evil:

sscott

Post by sscott » Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:28 pm

Just finished reading the mag including the Shenmue and Magnetic Scrolls features which I really liked. Unsurprisingly I also like the feature on Retro Rewind. That's a nice book-end to the event and something I'm really chuffed about :) Thanks to Paul Drury and Darren for publishing it! :)

My aim is for another event in 2012 but who knows, will see how this litlle thing called R3PLAY goes ;)

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:25 pm

Looking forward to the Magnetic Scrolls piece. Given Zork last month, Magnetic Scrolls this month, and the piece I've just been asked to write for issue 80, there's some serious text-adventure love coming from RGHQ at the moment. Good also to see Rockstar Ate My Hamster get a feature, despite the fact it used to drive me nuts years ago. (Oh, my artists have all died, have they? Again? ARGH!)
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:46 am

Nice issue this month, a few articles i wouldnt normally be interested in but i gave them a shot (Tomb Raider) and found them very interesting.

The worst page for me though was 'Boss Rush' where the writer was pretending to be the 3 characters. Found that cringeworthy to read. Thankfully only one page but even so. Horrible !!

Kai

Post by Kai » Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:49 am

Looks like another great issue! Though I'm not quite convinced about the cover. On the one hand it's great to have Lara in all her different stages over the years, on the other hand it does look a lot like a "modern" magazine cover and not very "retro". But it does look very good, though.

Spacepatrol

Post by Spacepatrol » Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:39 am

Not a lot in the issue that interests me -Rockstar ate my hamster, and Magmetic Scrolls are the only article I'm looking forward to. I think I have been spoilt by the excellent GamesTM Retro complilation 3 that I only recently picked up. I am also getting annoyed at the corporate route RG is going down; the Booty, Diary and Laracroft features should all have 'Advertisement Feature' written above them!!! :( Sorry!

Duddyroar

Post by Duddyroar » Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:47 am

Corporate route?

You do know this is a magazine about video games, which are a commercial commodity sold in retail outlets by massive corporations, right?

Spacepatrol

Post by Spacepatrol » Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:01 am

Duddyroar wrote:Corporate route?

You do know this is a magazine about video games, which are a commercial commodity sold in retail outlets by massive corporations, right?
Nope I wasn't aware of that!

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:09 am

psj3809 wrote:Nice issue this month, a few articles i wouldnt normally be interested in but i gave them a shot (Tomb Raider) and found them very interesting.

The worst page for me though was 'Boss Rush' where the writer was pretending to be the 3 characters. Found that cringeworthy to read. Thankfully only one page but even so. Horrible !!
Yeah, i found that piece went straight over my head as well, Chalk up as failed experiment maybe Just did`nt make for good reading.Tha Atari 7800 and Thunderforce articles however? Superb!. These kinda features are why the magazine gets so much of my time.

PacManPlus

Post by PacManPlus » Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:32 am

Wow - 2 of my games made the list of the 'perfect 10' for the 7800! (Pac-Man Collection and Space Invaders) Very cool and thanks to whoever made this list!

Looking for how to order this issue all I see is issue 76 for order - it would be nice to hold on to this...

Thanks,
Bob DeCrescenzo

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:21 pm

thevulture wrote:
psj3809 wrote:Nice issue this month, a few articles i wouldnt normally be interested in but i gave them a shot (Tomb Raider) and found them very interesting.

Yeah, i found that piece went straight over my head as well, Chalk up as failed experiment maybe Just did`nt make for good reading.Tha Atari 7800 and Thunderforce articles however? Superb!. These kinda features are why the magazine gets so much of my time.

I think it was maybe as much the unfamiliar (to most) characters used as opposed to the feature , but nice idea.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

DRS

Post by DRS » Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:01 pm

I did smile at the Adventure pastiche in Boss/Rush. I've read some funny stuff by the bloke who wrote it on his website. I don't think this was possibly his best but nice to try summat different in the mag and I look to seeing what else he comes up with.