Official Feedback Thread - Issue 78

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Igorthegreen

Official Feedback Thread - Issue 78

Post by Igorthegreen » Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:37 am

Last edited by Igorthegreen on Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Join my '8-BIT KIDS' book Kickstarter at http://tinyurl.com/c64club

psj3809

Re: Feedback Issue 78

Post by psj3809 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:12 am

Never was a Tomb Raider fan but the article does look good, might convince me to give it a try again.

Cant believe we're on issue 78 already ! Looks to be a lot of good stuff in there, looking forward to getting it later this week

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:18 am

HOLY GOD! Rock Star Ate My Hamster AND Thunderforce! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Postie postie don't be slow, be like Elvis GO MAN GO!
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

Smurph

Post by Smurph » Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:47 pm

the_hawk wrote:Thunderforce! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Right, inform me gently so I don't poo myself in excitement - is it the original only, or all of them?
Antiriad2097 wrote:There is no in or out, just a constant state of retro gamer.
Nowloading.co.uk My Retrobate Profile

Duddyroar

Post by Duddyroar » Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:22 pm

Smurph wrote:
the_hawk wrote:Thunderforce! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Right, inform me gently so I don't poo myself in excitement - is it the original only, or all of them?
It's the whole shooting match, my friend. Pun absolutely intended.

Smurph

Post by Smurph » Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:28 pm

Change of trousers most definitely needed!

What's the street date, Thursday, is it?

EDIT: Just spotted Crystal Dynamics on the cover, this is going to be a very good issue for me, love their games. Well, a few.
Antiriad2097 wrote:There is no in or out, just a constant state of retro gamer.
Nowloading.co.uk My Retrobate Profile

nokgod

Post by nokgod » Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:55 pm

Dammit, still haven't had mine...and i'm a sucker for Tomb Raider. I hope it shows up tomorrow!
sscott wrote:I thought Tomb Raider was the best game of last gen (and I fuck1n hate the Tomb Raider series!)

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:43 pm

Ooh, Lara's on the cover of a magazine for the first time since 1998 :D

Never played a Tomb Raider game ever, but still looking forward to this. It gets delivered to my shop now, so there's no hunting around for it anymore.
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:16 am

Controversial cover indeed (covered in another topic I know). I'm going to stay right on the fence though.

What's up with the main RG website? Why doesn't it ever advertise the current edition? Bit annoying for a non-subscriber (mainly because my WH Smith sells out in about 5 minutes!)
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:30 am

Not enough iphone coverage in the mag this month.

Just kidding, haven't actually read it yet. (though I have changed my tune since buying SirClive's 3GS)

I can't wait 'till this stupid football match is over today so I can get home & tear into the Thunderforce & Rock Star Ate My Hamster articles. :D
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:03 am

the_hawk wrote:Not enough iphone coverage in the mag this month.
ZING! That made me chuckle.
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

Dunjohn

Post by Dunjohn » Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:50 am

Is there something different about the cover design? It doesn't seem as manic as usual.
It's called a MEGADRIVE

bensonrad

Post by bensonrad » Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:08 am

Nice to find my issue waiting for me at home, got home early for the England game, just had a flick through at half time, I laughed at Archers quote at the retro rewind, nearly spat my beer out. :lol:
WANTED: Mario Party 3 on N64 (just the Box only) ANY SNES GAMES, OR EMPTY SNES BOXES, INSTRUCTION MANUALS or WHITE INNER TRAYS.

nokgod

Post by nokgod » Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:40 pm

Yup, mine arrived today :D I love the cover, but i am biased :wink: Looking forward to getting stuck into the TombRaider and 7800 articles, in particular.
sscott wrote:I thought Tomb Raider was the best game of last gen (and I fuck1n hate the Tomb Raider series!)

Gabe

Post by Gabe » Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:33 pm

Darran: Regarding your intro comment this month, I do feel you've taken what I said completely out of context to make a different point.

Firstly, I stand by my comment that RG *feels* much more corporate these days. What I said about it all was this:
Me, on another forum wrote:I'm well aware of the economics and rationale for doing it, my comment was born out of the feeling that this approach has become much more of a standard theme of late (by which I mean the last 12-18 months or so) whereby new game coming out = some feature (sometimes shoehorned, for which I would reference the Track & Field article on DS and Geometry Wars Galaxies for Wii).

As an aside, given that many folks don't consider the Playstation (and by extension PC games of that time) as retro, a TR article is even less relevant - not that I agree with that necessarily.

Anyway, as a subscriber I'm no longer the audience you really need to chase, so c'est la vie.
Add to that the recent PoP issue and Game Room before that, that's 3 leading articles and covers in a row that are tied to a new release of something.

You say that each time you look at things from a fresh angle: well so do previews in 'current' mags, but there are only so many times you can read about the same topic before it gets a little tired. I suppose the irony is that I do think the overall quality of the mag has improved a lot over the years, in spite of [what I find to be] the same games appearing time and again, and long may it continue.

I'd just like to see it mixed-up a bit more (and yes, I know that certain people are just easier to talk to) - don't care what system/genre or period, just more different stuff.