Single game handhelds/tabletops

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

SirClive

Single game handhelds/tabletops

Post by SirClive » Wed Jan 18, 2006 5:24 pm

We all had them in the 80's, my all time fave was the superb Astro Wars from Grandstand (I can feel an eBay coming on). I also had a really cool yellow pac man that was kinda shaped like Pac himself could go round the clock on that.

Whats your fave (or whats the next piece of retro goodness I should look out for on the bay)?

kaiserpc

Post by kaiserpc » Wed Jan 18, 2006 5:49 pm

my brother had a cool scramble / super cobra one

I think it was white in colour, with a large screen, big yellow joystick, and yellow super cobra stickers on the side

Morkin

Post by Morkin » Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:51 am

I had Scramble by Grandstand, Merlin by Parker Bros & a Donkey Kong Game & Watch. I loved those little beauties.

Kaptain_Von

Post by Kaptain_Von » Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:57 am

I reckon the next best one to go for would be Firefox F-7. It was a great game although I learnt how to clock it by timing the beeps and clicks much to my parents annoyance when I anounced I had completed it on Boxing day, the day after I got it. :)

Grandstand Scramble was pretty good as well and I would recommend getting one if you can find one.

Oh and the Pacman, I remember that. Munchman from Grandstand, clocked it too, something to do with timing the ghosts and staying in a certain spot on the screen if I remember back 25 or so years correctly.
Cue the music, fade to black...
----------------------------------------------------------
http://kaptainskonfessions.blogspot.com/

revgiblet

Post by revgiblet » Thu Jan 19, 2006 6:18 am

A fried of mine had a cool Popeye one where you had to fight Bluto on a jetty. A swordfish would keep popping up under you so you had to keep moving, and basically hold Bluto off long enough to grab a can of spinach and finish the job. I spent hours on that.

Spiff

Post by Spiff » Thu Jan 19, 2006 6:21 am

I only had Astro Wars, until I swapped some stuff to get the simplistic but compulsive Battlestar Galactica game from a mate.

The Last Ginja

Post by The Last Ginja » Thu Jan 19, 2006 8:27 am

Galaxy Twinvader-Loved it until the joystick stopped working.

Grandstand invaders game- 3 lines of invaders that gradually became a nightmare.

Crazy Kong a white hanheld that had nothing to do with Kong, you were in a haunted house had to avoid cannonballs, and a Mummy and A Vampire, cool game and (Munchman or possibly Puckman- ) a yellow handheld Pac rip off. Both were by Grandstand I think.

LeeT

Post by LeeT » Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:57 am

I had a Caveman handheld which kept me going for ages - I used to love it! :)

merman

Post by merman » Thu Jan 19, 2006 10:56 am

Another vote for Galaxy Twinvader here - err, snapped the joystick on mine! :oops:

andy vaisey

Post by andy vaisey » Thu Jan 19, 2006 1:24 pm

Arghh!! The name escapes me.... My Auntie used to have this electronic game where you controlled a caveman and had to steal eggs from a dinosaur from one side of the screen and get them to the other side. The case was a bit like Astro Wars.

Sorry if the description is fuzzy; it was a long time ago... :oops:

stigodump

Re: Single game handhelds/tabletops

Post by stigodump » Thu Jan 19, 2006 1:34 pm

SirClive wrote:We all had them in the 80's, my all time fave was the superb Astro Wars from Grandstand (I can feel an eBay coming on). I also had a really cool yellow pac man that was kinda shaped like Pac himself could go round the clock on that.

Whats your fave (or whats the next piece of retro goodness I should look out for on the bay)?
I still have both of those. :D

The Pacman one was called Munchman (if it's the same) but Astro Wars was ace.

Landing the three sections of the ship (it was three wasn't it?) after so many waves was a censored but once done you the had the firepower to tackle all enemies.

stigodump

Re:

Post by stigodump » Thu Jan 19, 2006 1:40 pm

andy vaisey wrote:Arghh!! The name escapes me.... My Auntie used to have this electronic game where you controlled a caveman and had to steal eggs from a dinosaur from one side of the screen and get them to the other side. The case was a bit like Astro Wars.

Umm it was Caveman. LeeT just mentioned it. Or where you kidding?

Awesome game anyway.

stigodump

Re:

Post by stigodump » Thu Jan 19, 2006 1:42 pm

Spiff wrote:I only had Astro Wars, until I swapped some stuff to get the simplistic but compulsive Battlestar Galactica game from a mate.
I think you are the only other person I know who has that. Still got mine although I lost the battery cover. :cry:

SirClive

Re:

Post by SirClive » Thu Jan 19, 2006 1:49 pm

merman wrote:Another vote for Galaxy Twinvader here - err, snapped the joystick on mine! :oops:
Don't remember this, so as it has been rated I just did an ebay search to see what it would set me back. Just one on there, but it is buy it now for £55. Sounds a bit steep but I suppose it is the only one!

LeeT

Re:

Post by LeeT » Thu Jan 19, 2006 3:04 pm

andy vaisey wrote:Arghh!! The name escapes me.... My Auntie used to have this electronic game where you controlled a caveman and had to steal eggs from a dinosaur from one side of the screen and get them to the other side. The case was a bit like Astro Wars.

See my above post! It think it was a TomyTronic product? :wink: