What games/consoles have you bought this week??

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Dam

Re: What games/consoles have you bought this week??

Post by Dam » Fri May 21, 2010 12:57 pm

After being amazed by it at last weekends RCM, I've recently ordered Pac-man VS for the gamecube and a GBA link cable. Arrived today, which ties in well with it being the 30th anniversary and all that too.

Jay

Post by Jay » Fri May 21, 2010 1:02 pm

Dam wrote:After being amazed by it at last weekends RCM, I've recently ordered Pac-man VS for the gamecube and a GBA link cable. Arrived today, which ties in well with it being the 30th anniversary and all that too.
Great stuff. A convenient, more portable option in case you don't know (and assuming you have a DS) is geting hold of Namco Museum as it includes a version which supports multiplayer off a single cart.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Fri May 21, 2010 1:08 pm

Mr Vengeance wrote: Don't mind those with rose-tinted glasses, KOF XI is far better than '98, and its superior to Garou: Mark of the Wolves and The Last Blades and all - a technical fighting fan's wet dream it is! :D
XI>Garou?

NO!!!

Space_turnip

Post by Space_turnip » Fri May 21, 2010 1:27 pm

Red Dead Redemption : I shall be back on the forum on Monday :D

Mr Vengeance

Post by Mr Vengeance » Fri May 21, 2010 1:32 pm

DPrinny wrote:
Mr Vengeance wrote: Don't mind those with rose-tinted glasses, KOF XI is far better than '98, and its superior to Garou: Mark of the Wolves and The Last Blades and all - a technical fighting fan's wet dream it is! :D
XI>Garou?

NO!!!
Hey, it is - its hard to accept I know, but its deeper, better looking, and has a far bigger roster of fighters.

Garou: MotW will always be a special game, a masterpiece on its hardware, but XI is superior.
Nintendo DS games: 41

Dam

Post by Dam » Fri May 21, 2010 1:34 pm

Jay wrote:
Dam wrote:After being amazed by it at last weekends RCM, I've recently ordered Pac-man VS for the gamecube and a GBA link cable. Arrived today, which ties in well with it being the 30th anniversary and all that too.
Great stuff. A convenient, more portable option in case you don't know (and assuming you have a DS) is geting hold of Namco Museum as it includes a version which supports multiplayer off a single cart.
Off a single cart huh? I'm not massively into handhelds, but I do wish I'd bought a first-gen DS when I saw one for £25 in cash converters a couple of weeks ago....even more so now....

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Fri May 21, 2010 1:39 pm

It is actually very good, once i realised my TV was set to wide I sorted it and it sharpened up the visuals no end and sorted the silly walking speed!
Had a few goes, pretty daunting as it is rather deep!
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

Roo

Post by Roo » Fri May 21, 2010 1:43 pm

Bought six PSone games in Cash Convertors today: Porshe Challenge, Wip3out, Driver 2, Everybody's Golf 2, Fluid and Jersey Devil.

As they were part of their '3 for 2' offer, I got them all for £3.56. 8)

Mr Vengeance

Post by Mr Vengeance » Fri May 21, 2010 1:51 pm

Roo wrote:Bought six PSone games in Cash Convertors today: Porshe Challenge, Wip3out, Driver 2, Everybody's Golf 2, Fluid and Jersey Devil.

As they were part of their '3 for 2' offer, I got them all for £3.56. 8)
The Everybody's Golf series is one of Sony's best I believe. I adore the PSP version. The PSone versions were very popular back in the day, and always sought after in the shop I worked in then. Not easy to find, so well done!

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Fri May 21, 2010 1:51 pm

2 more Rockman games for my collection - Rockman EXE for the GBA and Rockman X4 (Best Release) for the Playstation.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Fri May 21, 2010 1:58 pm

Mr Vengeance wrote: Hey, it is - its hard to accept I know, but its deeper, better looking, and has a far bigger roster of fighters.

Garou: MotW will always be a special game, a masterpiece on its hardware, but XI is superior.
> Implying that a massive roster of characters makes the game better.
id take 8 balanced ones OVER 9000 unbalanced ones
>implying that looks make the game better
Err we are on a retro games forum

We can agree to disagree on this, but in my eyes Gaoru>XI

Mr Vengeance

Post by Mr Vengeance » Fri May 21, 2010 2:16 pm

DPrinny wrote:
Mr Vengeance wrote: Hey, it is - its hard to accept I know, but its deeper, better looking, and has a far bigger roster of fighters.

> Implying that a massive roster of characters makes the game better.
id take 8 balanced ones OVER 9000 unbalanced ones
>implying that looks make the game better
Err we are on a retro games forum

We can agree to disagree on this, but in my eyes Gaoru>XI
Err... who said XI was unbalanced? More characters means more variety. And the character line-up isn't excessive, its very big but not too big, and characters are introduced gradually through unlocking in the PS2 version, so its not overwhelming..... plus you get Mr Big in XI, who is the coolest SNK character ever! 8)

Graphics are very important in games. Not a much as gameplay, but if the backgrounds were black say in fighters, you'd complain surely? Graphics are what moves games forward in many regards. Would The Last BLade be what it is in the eyes of the hardcore if its visuals were sh!t? No chance.

Graphically Garou is stunning, but XI is never the less a nicer looking game on vastly more powerful hardware. Dream cancels have to be seen to be believed :shock: Those big flashy visuals give feedback to the player, rewarding them for great gameplaying ability.

But alas, the gameplay is where its at, and in that regard, with its depth, variety and many gameplay systems, XI wins hands down in my opinion.

However, neither of us are right or wrong here, but I have merely just justified my thoughts as best as I can :)

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Fri May 21, 2010 2:22 pm

Space_turnip wrote:Red Dead Redemption : I shall be back on the forum on Monday :D
I bought this as well. They only had it on the PS3, but still, can't wait!
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

sscott

Post by sscott » Fri May 21, 2010 3:09 pm

Bid a couple of quid on Miner 2049er cartridge for the Atari XL and was surprised to find that was the winning bid :) The sequal though fetches an awful lot more and went for £70 last week.

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Fri May 21, 2010 3:14 pm

Boxed Snoopy Tennis Game and Watch to replace my lose Snoopy Tennis and Re Dead Redemption, I guess if I don't buy it will be sold out everywhere
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"