VHS tapes!

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Wil

Re: VHS tapes!

Post by Wil » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:31 am

Ralph Milne's Left Foot wrote:I Brought the Wizard of Speed and Time off Ebay on VHS
Its ex rental and still has the £2 per night sticker on.. Im in love
That's the Mike Jittlov film, isn't it? I never did get around to seeing it and I like a nice bit of pixellation.

RMLF

Post by RMLF » Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:35 pm

Wil wrote:
Ralph Milne's Left Foot wrote:I Brought the Wizard of Speed and Time off Ebay on VHS
Its ex rental and still has the £2 per night sticker on.. Im in love
That's the Mike Jittlov film, isn't it? I never did get around to seeing it and I like a nice bit of pixellation.
Yes its Stop Motion Pixellation no less. Bloody Awesome film despite what some would have you believe
The Artist Formerly Known as Ralph Milne's Left Foot :P

Wheres Gus Ceasar when you need him?... Pah!

Ralph's Trade/Sale Thread http://www.retrogamer.net/forum/viewtop ... =6&t=22769

SoupDragon

Post by SoupDragon » Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:25 pm

I just tried playing my Creepshow cassette but after many years of watching and rewinding its knackered :(

Fred83

Post by Fred83 » Sat May 01, 2010 4:12 pm

so what was some of the must have vcr model back in the day?

woody.cool

Post by woody.cool » Sat May 01, 2010 4:15 pm

Fred83 wrote:so what was some of the must have vcr model back in the day?
We had a Ferguson VideoStar 2000 when I was a kid. It was a fekking HUGE beast with top loading mechanism and big 'piano' like keys for the normal tape operations.
iirc, I think they used the same model in the 80's episode of 'Electric Dreams' ..... it looked very much like it!

Fred83

Post by Fred83 » Sat May 01, 2010 4:18 pm

i heard blaupunkt made great vcr's

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Sat May 01, 2010 6:38 pm

My family had a Philips model(mono short play only - as I think long play wasn't popular when this VCR was made in 1988). We had "upgraded" from Betamax! To be fair to the VCR it gave off a good picture and sound(allowing for the technology at the time), plus we only had a TV with an RF connector at the time - so could hardly make use of its SCART that much. It lasted a really long time until 1998 it finally started chewing tapes - never had its heads replaced! My Dad went through two VHS machines after that a JVC one(I think it was mono but had long play - plus indexing now -which was handy), then a Matsui one which he put in the loft as he made the move to DVD.

I currently have a Goodmans VCR with NICAM, 4 Heads, Long play. I brought in 1999. I still occasionally use it for time shifting when the PVRs are in use. It is still in pretty good condition. The picture quality if you record using the SCART is pretty good for a VHS. Off of analogue tuner it is okay - but as I have a LCD TV now you can see the flaws in that system a lot more!

I am might get another one off of Ebay for when I digitise a few old VHS videos and convert them.

I suppose in the day the really good quality VHS manufacturers were JVC(obviously they did invent after all), Sony(well they did invent Betamax - so they know about quality!), Hitachi, and Mitsubishi(yes they they made them then - although they tended to make the SuperVHS variants).

If anyone had a SuperVHS machine post up on this thread about your time with it.

Fred83

Post by Fred83 » Sat May 01, 2010 6:48 pm

i have a sharp 6 head vcr,sharp models where solid built i think!

woody.cool

Post by woody.cool » Sat May 01, 2010 6:53 pm

The best VCR I had was a Panasonic one. All I can say is, it was the "starship enterprise" of VCRs, it had EVERYTHING.
Short Play, Long Play and Extended Play, 6-head NICAM stereo, indexing with recording of the program titles for a lovely menu that was recorded on the tape (only accessible in this VCR though) and it recorded the subtitles teletext signal as well as featuring a built in "closed caption" reader (for reading subtitles from commercial video tapes carrying the CC logo)

Unfortunately, the VCR didn't last ..... I had it for 5 years, but it died about 6 months ago.

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Sat May 01, 2010 7:23 pm

Yeah I should have included both Panasonic and Sharp on my list of good quality VHS manufacturers.

I think recording teletext (for subtitle or other uses) was standard on SuperVHS models. Plus most of them had timebase correctors in them(lucky if you were a millionaire at the time and could afford them!). I did see one Mitsubishi model with Dolby noise reduction as well(but again it was about 900 pounds at the time!!!).

Fred83

Post by Fred83 » Sat May 01, 2010 7:27 pm

you can get professional vcrs on ebay nowadays,but most of the sellers are in the united states :(

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sun May 02, 2010 5:05 pm

Fred83 wrote:i have a sharp 6 head vcr,sharp models where solid built i think!
Yep, we had one of those too.

Most of the tech/TV stuff in our house has always been Sony though and it's always lasted. Our Sony freeview box is brilliant for example whereas I know people who have been through tons of the cheap ones in no time at all.

I'm sure we have a Sony VCR at the moment though.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Fred83

Post by Fred83 » Fri May 07, 2010 10:29 am

Be watching videos on a computer,and remember the days watching your favourite music video on tape then in between the picture might jump or break up or lose picture completely!.
Last edited by Fred83 on Sun May 01, 2011 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Neilos626

Post by Neilos626 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:44 am

I collect VHS films from the 80's and have a vcr linked up to my LCD tv in my bedroom. I still watch VHS films every weekend. I haved around 600 films and collect box sets, different cover variations of the same film just to be really anal. I always look forward to seeing the trailers before the start of the film not only are they terribly put together but they can be a good source of adding films to my must collect list lol.
Flux Capacitors wanted email MartyMcFly1985@greatscott.net

Fred83

Post by Fred83 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:49 am

i loved queen greatest flix videos 1-3,they where really glossy and well packaged.