Help with Speccy loading please

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Mantas

Help with Speccy loading please

Post by Mantas » Tue Oct 10, 2006 4:13 pm

More specifically, I'm converting .tap files to .wav files and then transferring them to tape. It copies fine to the tape but it just refuses to load. I've tried using both TAPE2WAV and WINTZX0 to convert the TZX files. I use the default WINXP sound recorder to transfer to tape. I used the same tpae recorder, cables, tape to copy C64 games and it worked fine. Any ideas? Thanks

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Tue Oct 10, 2006 4:30 pm

Use an mp3 player instead.
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

woody.cool

Post by woody.cool » Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:42 am

If you don't have an MP3 player - burn the WAV to a CD and hook up a portable CD player / CD Walkman to the Speccy!

Lindopski

Post by Lindopski » Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:58 am

it could be the speccy being an arsehole , is it a 128 and if so have the heads been messed with , does it load normal boxed games?
try adjusting stuff like bass tone etc on a proper deck.
dont have the Vol too loud either as that cocks it up.
Retro when it wasnt cool

Mantas

Post by Mantas » Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:06 am

Its a standard 48k. It loads original games like Horace goes skiing, Alien 8 and Software Star first time - no problems. I'll try using the MP3 recorder and I'll give tyhe CD thing a go too. Thanks guys.

woody.cool

Post by woody.cool » Thu Oct 12, 2006 4:32 am

Another point to mention with tape decks (or cassette decks if you wish) is that different decks have slight differences in playback speed - a very minimal amount, but enough to cause loading problems!

Might be an idea (if your sticking to tapes) to record the game on the same tape deck as the one your gonna use to load it with! Beware cheap sh!tty tape decks, as they don't give the sound quality that is required for the games to load reliably - background interference / alot of hiss is common with alot of "shoe-box" style recorders!

I tend to burn the game onto a CD-RW and use a CD Walkman hooked to my Speccy to test that the game works, then if I want it on tape (for nostalgia) I record it from CD to Tape on my HiFi Seperates - putting the recording level on MAX and turning all the special features crap off (like Dolby NR - cos it can cause loss of required loading signal) - usually it works perfectly!

Mantas

Re:

Post by Mantas » Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:57 am

woody.cool wrote:Another point to mention with tape decks (or cassette decks if you wish) is that different decks have slight differences in playback speed - a very minimal amount, but enough to cause loading problems!

Might be an idea (if your sticking to tapes) to record the game on the same tape deck as the one your gonna use to load it with! Beware cheap sh!tty tape decks, as they don't give the sound quality that is required for the games to load reliably - background interference / alot of hiss is common with alot of "shoe-box" style recorders!

I tend to burn the game onto a CD-RW and use a CD Walkman hooked to my Speccy to test that the game works, then if I want it on tape (for nostalgia) I record it from CD to Tape on my HiFi Seperates - putting the recording level on MAX and turning all the special features crap off (like Dolby NR - cos it can cause loss of required loading signal) - usually it works perfectly!
Thanks for the help. I copied some games to CD last night and connected the player to the speccy but no luck. I have to put the volume on full to get the red and blue lines to come up but they go so fast that nothing gets found. I tried it on a couple of games but they all did the same. Did I do something wrong in copying the .wav files to CD? I used nero to burn an audio CD. I can hear the beeps.

I use the same tape deck for recording and playback. The tape deck works fine on most of my speccy games. Could there be a problem with the converting software I used? I got all the programs from WOS.