Anybody collect DS games?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

User avatar
Sureshot
Posts: 5029
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2005 2:52 pm
Location: Mids., UK

Re: Anybody collect DS games?

Post by Sureshot » Sat Apr 24, 2010 1:36 am

Roo wrote:A lot of the early-gen stuff isn't easily found. When was the last time anyone saw Nintendo Touch Golf, Pac 'n Roll or SBK: Snowboard Kids out in Gamestation? 'Not recently' is probably your answer.
This certainly sucks. I tried picking up the Phoenix Wright games recently, but could only find the most recent one - even on Amazon and the like. Same deal with the Castlevania games, although I guess they wouldn't be Castlevania games if they weren't hard to find and ridiculously priced where actually available.

User avatar
Mr Vengeance
Posts: 1315
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:55 am
Location: Dublin

Re: Anybody collect DS games?

Post by Mr Vengeance » Sat Apr 24, 2010 1:32 pm

I can get Order of Ecclessia or whatever its called from GAME for €13 second hand if I want it, but after the horror I had with Portrait of Ruin's final bosses I don't know if I'll bother.....
Nintendo DS games: 41

User avatar
GigaPepsiMan
Posts: 2692
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:06 pm

Re: Anybody collect DS games?

Post by GigaPepsiMan » Sat Apr 24, 2010 2:42 pm

Mr Vengeance wrote:I can get Order of Ecclessia or whatever its called from GAME for €13 second hand if I want it, but after the horror I had with Portrait of Ruin's final bosses I don't know if I'll bother.....
£8 in gamestation.

User avatar
Megamixer
Posts: 15052
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:18 am
Location: Staffs, UK

Re: Anybody collect DS games?

Post by Megamixer » Sat Apr 24, 2010 4:05 pm

Sureshot wrote:
Roo wrote:A lot of the early-gen stuff isn't easily found. When was the last time anyone saw Nintendo Touch Golf, Pac 'n Roll or SBK: Snowboard Kids out in Gamestation? 'Not recently' is probably your answer.
This certainly sucks. I tried picking up the Phoenix Wright games recently, but could only find the most recent one - even on Amazon and the like. Same deal with the Castlevania games, although I guess they wouldn't be Castlevania games if they weren't hard to find and ridiculously priced where actually available.
I have Sprung which is a launch game so if anybody wants this piece of rare DS gaming, I'll let it go for £50 :wink: :wink:

£49.99 too much :lol:
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

User avatar
GigaPepsiMan
Posts: 2692
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:06 pm

Re: Anybody collect DS games?

Post by GigaPepsiMan » Sat Apr 24, 2010 4:28 pm

Megamixer wrote:
Sureshot wrote:
Roo wrote:A lot of the early-gen stuff isn't easily found. When was the last time anyone saw Nintendo Touch Golf, Pac 'n Roll or SBK: Snowboard Kids out in Gamestation? 'Not recently' is probably your answer.
This certainly sucks. I tried picking up the Phoenix Wright games recently, but could only find the most recent one - even on Amazon and the like. Same deal with the Castlevania games, although I guess they wouldn't be Castlevania games if they weren't hard to find and ridiculously priced where actually available.
I have Sprung which is a launch game so if anybody wants this piece of rare DS gaming, I'll let it go for £50 :wink: :wink:

£49.99 too much :lol:
I saw that in my local game for a fiver.
Anyway palying some Ds games like Nanostray 2 are really good, to think that most people have never heard of it.

User avatar
Mr Vengeance
Posts: 1315
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:55 am
Location: Dublin

Re: Anybody collect DS games?

Post by Mr Vengeance » Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:46 am

There was a copy of that going cheap in my local HMV recetly, but I let it go.... can't buy everything I suppose!
Nintendo DS games: 41

User avatar
Megamixer
Posts: 15052
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:18 am
Location: Staffs, UK

Re: Anybody collect DS games?

Post by Megamixer » Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:29 pm

Mr Vengeance wrote:There was a copy of that going cheap in my local HMV recetly, but I let it go.... can't buy everything I suppose!
I'm trying to get rid of it for a fiver inc. P&P at the moment...it IS awful though, only worth checking out for interest's sake.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

User avatar
Mr Vengeance
Posts: 1315
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:55 am
Location: Dublin

Re: Anybody collect DS games?

Post by Mr Vengeance » Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:12 pm

Had my long promised trawl of Dublin city's gaming finest today and..... came away with little sadly :?


The goal was to try and fine three DS games in particular, preferably new, at a good price. These are Fire Emblem DS, Harvest Moon DS and Yoshi's Island DS.

I had a good look through HMV on Henry St. They had a lot of sealed "pre-owned" games. Was going to pick up a few, none that were really anything all that wonderful, but I was curious and... at €8 - 12 each they were good value, but I decided to hold fire on them as I thought I'd need the cash later. Nothing interesting of note new though, and my three games weren't there.

Next stop was an old workplace of mine near HMV - GameStop. They had a lot of pre-owned and quite a good bit of new, though their prices were very high. They even had a new copy of Polarium for €25 and the case was all yellowing, probably sat there on the shelf since the DS Phat came out all those years ago - idiots! :lol: None of my three games were there, though they did have a couple of copies of that second HM DS game, but it was well over priced :roll: Thats GamesStop for ya in general like....

Had a quick nose into Smyths - loads of games but most were censored kids' crap. Left sharpish...

GAME on Dawson Street - walked in the door of the place and was horrified as there was nobody in the shop! The manageress and a security guy and that was it! Well, I did see one guy lurking down the back after I went in, but really.... I never seen a branch of GAME deserted like that before - I remember the days when all three GAME shops in Dublin were packed the whole time, now they've only one branch left and its deserted... that company may be in trouble....

Perhaps the reason is the huge reliance on pre-owned? I felt that there was far and away more second hand in that shop than new in the DS section. Many people don’t like second hand, so by focusing on it predominantly in this store, and in many others I feel they may be turning punters off. Maybe the publishers aren’t making enough games? Possibly, but they’re not stupid, and maybe GAME aren’t ordering games because they want to focus on the margin-heavy pre-owned sector.. But by doing this they are limiting their new range in a big way. Not good as I say for those of us who like our games mint.

I did find Harvest Moon DS in GAME second hand anyway, for €15. I didn’t buy it as it looked a bit meh. I think I’ll get in new somehow or get one of the Rune Frontiers instead for my farming needs!

Finally games-wise in the city centre I hit HMV and went through everything. Found a sealed Rhapsody for the DS for €11. Tempted I have to say, as I’m a bit of a Nippon Ichi fan boy, but I left it to save the coin for something that I truly wanted. Found a new Harvest Moon DS but it was old as the hills and €35! No chance.

Poked about a bit more and finally found something worth having - Space Invaders Extreme 2, brand new and sealed for €18. Yeah I could have got it cheaper probably but I just wanted something tangible for my afternoon’s efforts, and I really liked the review of it in Edge - think I played a demo of it at one point too - looks like a “real” DS game this….. Can’t wait to play it.

Fucked off out of the city centre and headed home, but not before stopping off at the Dundrum Shopping Centre. Did one GAME concession, HMV and then onto the main GAME outlet. Picked up a new and sealed copy of Advance Wars Dark Conflict for €11 and Big Bang Mini, new but unsealed for €7 - pretty happy with them it has to be said :D


A long and slightly disappointing tour of the game shops of Dublin, but it was fun I suppose and nice to take a day out of my rather busy life to do something I quite like doing - hunting for games. I did manage to pick up three excellent titles too it has to be said, so its all good :)
Nintendo DS games: 41

User avatar
GigaPepsiMan
Posts: 2692
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:06 pm

Re: Anybody collect DS games?

Post by GigaPepsiMan » Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:52 pm

Good luck finding fire emblem, I have only seen two copies in the wild.
One new for £30 when the game came out and one pre-owned for £25 some time after.

User avatar
C=Style
Posts: 9053
Joined: Thu May 03, 2007 4:07 pm
Contact:

Re: Anybody collect DS games?

Post by C=Style » Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:58 pm

Yoshi's Island DS is a stunner. Such a shame people don't know how to look after anything. These shops should have higher standards when it comes to taking preowned games in.
Image

User avatar
QuantumCrayons
Posts: 1690
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2010 4:17 pm
Location: Scotland
Contact:

Re: Anybody collect DS games?

Post by QuantumCrayons » Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:59 pm

I manage to get quite a lot of nice DS games for next to nothing. Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow was £5, Megaman ZX was £6 and Tetris DS for £8. That's the solid Nintendo titles, add in time wasters like Impossible Mission for £5 and SimCity DS for the same, and you're sorted.
I can still remember seeing Asphalt GT being showed to a man just before the DS was released, and both the salesperson and the buyer were amazed at the technology.
Yoshi's Island DS was okay, but I managed to pick up the GBA version of the SNES one for £2. Didn't see much point of paying for the sequel before I've beaten the original.

User avatar
Mr Vengeance
Posts: 1315
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:55 am
Location: Dublin

Re: Anybody collect DS games?

Post by Mr Vengeance » Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:03 pm

Yeah I'm up against it alright trrying to source Fire Emblem. Might see if I can order it from my local HMV. If I can't get it from them its onto old reliable Ebay me thinks.....

I have to say though I have been surprised lately with the lack of DS games available... they really are scarce now, hence why I'm in a bit of a hurry to round up a few titles, but I think I may be actually too late now for many to be found new in the wild. Sad really :? Don't see why the shops can't keep in stock a line-up of the system's finest games, but anyway....

Stuff that you'd think would be easy enough to get like your Yoshi's and Megamans and Donkey Kongs are censored nowhere to be seen here in Dublin now. The more this kind of lark goes on with shops just stocking piles of crap, the more I'm just going to not bother going in and just going on the net for my stuff. I really do prefer going into a shop and having a poke about, but they really have shag all in them these days apart from the very latest games and a pile of manky pre-owned kids crap and football games. I doubt that the situation is as bad in the UK, but its pish poor here in the Emerald Isle sadly :(
Nintendo DS games: 41

User avatar
Mr Vengeance
Posts: 1315
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:55 am
Location: Dublin

Re: Anybody collect DS games?

Post by Mr Vengeance » Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:09 pm

C=Style wrote:Yoshi's Island DS is a stunner. Such a shame people don't know how to look after anything. These shops should have higher standards when it comes to taking preowned games in.
Don't know if I mentioned this in that big long post of mine up there (sorry if I went on a bit :oops: ) but I found a copy of Yoshi's Island DS pre-owned in HMV and it was in German. And beaten up to buggery. And €18 :?
QuantumCrayons wrote:I manage to get quite a lot of nice DS games for next to nothing. Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow was £5, Megaman ZX was £6 and Tetris DS for £8. That's the solid Nintendo titles, add in time wasters like Impossible Mission for £5 and SimCity DS for the same, and you're sorted.
I can still remember seeing Asphalt GT being showed to a man just before the DS was released, and both the salesperson and the buyer were amazed at the technology.
Yoshi's Island DS was okay, but I managed to pick up the GBA version of the SNES one for £2. Didn't see much point of paying for the sequel before I've beaten the original.
Some nice bargains there!

My sister has Yoshi on the GBA too - I want the SNES version and the DS one out of curiousity and because of all the hype over them. Like a bit of Ninty platforming from time to time me! :mrgreen:
Nintendo DS games: 41

User avatar
Rayne
Posts: 6610
Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:51 pm
Location: Scotland!

Re: Anybody collect DS games?

Post by Rayne » Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:55 am

If you want mate I'll keep my eyes peeled for Fire Emblem & Castlevania, coulda sworn I saw copies of these locally.
Image

User avatar
Mr Vengeance
Posts: 1315
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:55 am
Location: Dublin

Re: Anybody collect DS games?

Post by Mr Vengeance » Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:48 am

Rayne wrote:If you want mate I'll keep my eyes peeled for Fire Emblem & Castlevania, coulda sworn I saw copies of these locally.
Nice one buddy, if you see a new copy of Fire Emblem then let me know please! I've even got my sister on the hunt for one for me in Cork City at the very south of the country (she works there).

Castlevania however, I can get the third one locally, but I'm not sure if I want it to be honest. I didn't get on too well with the second one if truth be told....
Nintendo DS games: 41

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests